It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Dumb question on "feeling of a nodule"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User
    Dumb question on "feeling of a nodule"

Hi,
    The last ultrasound thyroid ultrasound showed a 5mm by 7 mm nodule
    Recenlty I cna actually "feel" the bump on my thyroid without even trying hard and it even appears swollen.
    Should it be possible to feel a 5*7 mm nodule given the docs wave it off as being tooooooooo small.. ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
    (male)

898 HB User
    Re: Dumb question on "feeling of a nodule"

The solid nodule can grow and now it can be larger then 5 by 7 mm. Usually the nodules of 1.5 cm or larger can be easilypalpated

Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You can also feel an inflamed lobe in which the nodule rests with out feeling the specific nodule. My nodule is 9x9x9 mm. It is in the low end of my right lobe. I can not feel it because it rests below my collar bone, BUT I can feel my thyroid lobes. They are always hard and easily palpated. My ENT says this is very common in Hashimoto's thyroiditis inflammation. The more active the hashimoto's the more active the scar tissue formation and inflammation.

So yes it is possible to palpate an inflamed thyroid. Whether or not you are feeling that or your nodule can not be said with out a US comparison study of your palpitation site.

MG

Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

Thanks MKG and 898,
    I've been feeling very targetted "stabbing" sensations in my thyroid and it feels even more after startaring the synthroid.. The synthroid definitely helps even the 25 mcg and will probably get a higher dose in 3 weeks..
    I will push for anothe rultrasound since I definitely feel changes since the last ultrasound 6 weeks ago.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I know that feeling. i know where my nodule is at all times. It aches and occasionally throws out stabbing flares as well. I knew long before my MD could feel anything where my nodule was.. the radiologist that did my ultrasound went straight to the spot indicated by me and my feelings. It was the only nodule in my thyroid. He clucked and said I must be super sensitive. I guess we could all wear capes and run about as THYROID woman... capable of volatile emotional outbursts in the blink of an eye, super sensitive hearing and touch, skin so dry we could absorb a flood.. Sorry went off on a tangent... hummm might make for an interesting comic book.

MG

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

I seriously believe I could be your team member in your comic book .. I think I am super sensitive too but unfortunately I am called insane and "psycho" even by family (close family .. even my MOM) and I've learned to laugh it off..

Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Think eccentric.. I do. I get the looks from my hubby that I can interpret as she has finally lost it on occasion. I do not get as much vocalizations of the thoughts because I might take it as a challenge. I channel a lot of my aggression and anxiety with martial arts. Tai Chi helps me with the anxiety, my Aikido and jitsu help with aggression. *pausing to enjoy thoughts of flying bodies* Anyway... you are not crazy, this thyroid and adrenal double teaming can be HADES on our systems. It will get better. When at my most anxious writing it out in a journal helped a lot as well. I pick up that journal and look back and most of it MAKES no sense. But the act of sitting calmly and letting it go out onto the paper did help me. Maybe it can help you.

Just to give you a chuckle. When i was at my worst my loved ones nicknamed me the energizer monty python bunny from Hades. If you have not seen the monty python holy grail movie that nickname will lose impact. Now I have the old line running through my head,"It's just a bunny!... BUT ITS GOT SHARP FANGS!"

So maybe we are related I will admit I am far from NORMAL. Who wants to be normal anyway? I personally strive for my OWN optimal...

MG

Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

I definitely know those treacherous bunnies in MP and the Holy Grail..
    WOW... trust someone nicknaming you.. definitely adds to my mental image of you .. :-) :-)

Hmm .. actually that "bunny" image suits my daughter in her terribles which happen way too often..

Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am 5'2" and strawberry blonde. Cute. So the 20 years of martial arts back ground is deceptive.

I remember the terrible twos. The started at 14 mos and lasted until 3 years. Heck when my boy is tired the inner terrible two spirit re-emerges. My six year old boy still blows his top on occasion as is... it is my fault mostly. He got my flash fire temper.. and my bulldog stubbornness.. and my sense of humor.. he has his daddy's brain and hair and frustration triggers and stubbornness as well. So we are getting paybacks now.

I wouldn't trade my boy in for anything. I do hope that I have spared him the defective thyroid/endocrine dysfunction genes. He got my sleep apnea and sinus issues and I think that is enough. We shall see what comes and I will be watching. I am wishing you the best. Feel free to keep venting here.. I do it all the time!

MG

Closed Thread