It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How Hashimoto Works Question....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    How Hashimoto Works Question....

I am waiting for my results to come back today or tomorrow to determine whether I have Hashi's or Graves. I am trying to understand Hashi's.

So, if I understand correctly, Hashi's will cause a period or period of hyper as it destroys the thyroid or kills it and eventually leave you hypo?

Do the medications slow the process of killing the thyroid or do they stop it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: How Hashimoto Works Question....

Okay here I go again.

Hashimoto's is the destroyer of thyroid tissue. Your body produces TGAb abd TPOAb that systematically attack and destroy the cells and TG and TPO in your thyroid tissue. When this occurs stored T4 reserves in your thyroid tissue are dumped into the blood stream resulting in periodic hyperT periods early on. As the amount of destruction increases then the dumps become more frequent and you can have some NASTY hyperT periods. However overtime the thyroid will be killed off when the thyroid is destroyed in such a manner that normal function and production is not possible, then you will manifest more and more hypoT traits.

Supplementation of the thyroid function in Hashimoto's works by reducing the body's demand on the thyroid to produce T4 and T3 of its own. Instead the TSH is suppressed and the thyroid doesn;t call the TPO and TG to act and cause your TPOAb and TGAB to go into slasher frenzy mode. This slows down the thyroid tissue destruction and thus causes the whole process to stabilize in MOST patients. This is why proactive treatment of Hashimoto's is becoming a preferred MD recommendation in current research. Finding an MD that practices this can be hard.

Graves is different. It is the trickster. The TSI and TRAb trick your thyroid into over producing thyroid hormone. It is like the wicked grandma in the corner allowing the thyroid toddlers free access to candy and then containing them in a white 10 by 10 room with free access to red finger paint. The Graves antibodies don't destroy the thyroid they excite it an make it run and work until it collapses from TOO much work. Much like a toddler crashes after the initial sugar burn off.

Hopefully that kinda gives you a basis between the two. OH! It is possible to have both Graves and Hashimoto's antibodies. If you do, you are in for an extreme hyperT hypoT turf war. Hashimoto's will win out in the end.. but Graves antibodies will make you fly hard and fast with many crashes in between. I have Hashimoto's and Graves both. It was a fun ride into Hashimoto's hypot land... NOT!

MG

Closed Thread