It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Have endo apt. need advice PLEASE.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
    tam821
    (female)

tam821 HB User
    Have endo apt. need advice PLEASE.

Hi !

I am lost and need some advice. I have low thyroid. Its been a little over a year now. I started at 25mcg and was recently put to 112 mcgs. They up it every time I get checked, so I know I need more. I take synthroid. BUT.. its not working!!! WHile they are uping it all the time, I just lost a year of my life ( sorta) . I am tired,, EXHAUSTED,, my hair is dry,,, all those fun things... even gaining every appt.

SO I asked to see an endo. Will he dig deeper into what is going on? Can I ask him if AMour would work better than synthroid. I dont wanna spend another month, let alone a year,, uping little tiny doses while I suffer, I want to LIVE a bit..

( I also have fibro, & menopause which dont help things either)

What do Endo docs do? WHat tests should I ask for? The synthroid is wasting my time here, ..

Once they did b/work and my liver panel was high, they re-did it, does that have anything to do with tyroid?

Just need some help for me to ask the right questions to the doctor.

I thank you.........Tammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
    Masta
    (female)

Masta HB User
    Re: Have endo apt. need advice PLEASE.

my personal experience is that most endos are not worth the time or effort, im not the only one who thinks that way. they do not prescribe armour.. they just peddle synthetic crap like synthyroid. i have seen 2 endos, neither one bothered to test anything else besides TSH and Free T4. i had to argue to get more testing, it was never done.

if you find a good doctor or endo who will prescribe armour, stick with them! they are hard to find.

* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

there will be others who can give you more advice about the your liver labs. as far as i know it can be affected. so can you kidneys for that matter.

i dont know much, im new to the hypothyroid world myself. i do know you need extra testing done, then please post your results with your lab ranges so others can help.

some labs to ask for:
    TSH, Free T4, Free T3, TPO, Ab (antibodies), Tg Ab (antibodies) Reverse T3
    Vitamin D hydroxy, Ferritin, B-12
    Estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA sulfate, 8am cortisol

keep reading different posts on forum. learn as much as you can. thats what i do everyday. eventually u will understand enough to be able to be an awesome advocate for yourself.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites and products as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Please post your TSH, FT3, Ft4 values and ranges. Once you do this it will be easier for us to advise you on additional testing that may be warranted and medication recommendations. It is possible you need T3 supplementation in addition to T4 supplementation. Two out of three thyroid deficient patients have some T4 to T3 conversion issues and need SOME T3 supplementation, BUT there are those that can not touch T3 as well. I have to stick with T4 only because I over convert my T4, but that is me. Half of my family on thyroid supplementation has to mix and match Armour and synthroid to get optimal thyroid hormone levels. Every one is different. What is right for you?

Well it is the perfect ratio of T4 and/or T3 supplement that gets you Ft3 and Ft4 levels in optimal range at which point your symptoms should become negligible. Finding an MD that is willing to do this for you? Priceless and VERY hard.

So get a copy of your last lab report first. Share with us and then we will be better able to help you.

Some hypothyroid mimic issues can be due to malabsorption of nutrients. You need to get your Ferritin, B12, and vit D levels checked if you haven't had them tested before.

If your MD is only doing a TSH or an TSH and T4/FT4. Insist on getting an FT4 and Ft3 test run. Depending on balance, adrenal or thyroid conversion tests can be recommended.

If you have never had a TPOAb/TGAb run then you need to get those run to see if it is autoimmune in origin.

MG

Old 08-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
    vintageviolets
    (female)

vintageviolets HB User

MG, I see you mention T4 to T3 conversion issue. Do you overconvert due to too low cortisol? I think I've read that T3 can go up in hypoadrenal situation. Likewise, the FT3 level can drop if we have higher cortisol levels at times. (steroids lower the conversion and suppress active T3) True?
    ALSO, I need to optimize Armour/Synthroid. What percent of the range to shoot for, 50% for FT4 and FT3, both? If I need to raise BOTH hormones a little, which to raise with first, the Armour? and retest? thanks so much

learning alot from these posts!
    ~vintageviolets

Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

If you have low cortisol levels then you mostlikely over convert T4 to T3.

If you have too much cortisol then you can suppress the mechanism that converts T4 to T3.

Optimization of your thyroid hormone levels is somewhere in the 50-80% range of normal for 90% of the population. Thus 50% may not be enough for you. women of child bearing age and capabilities should try and stay in the 60-80% of normal range.

Now balance between FT3 and Ft4 levels should be with in 10% of each other. This 10% accounts for the error window both tests have. In both the FT tests there can be 2.5-5% error so if the worse case scenario results in 10%. If you can get and keep both your FTs at 50 or 60 or 70 percent then you are doing well.

So what is optimal for you? Well it depends on your blood chemistry and body needs. You have to find the balanced sweet spot in optimal range where you no longer have symptoms. This is your optimal.

Good luck it is a fine tuning drawn out process. As which to raise first? That would depend on your last FT4 and FT3 levels. If you are balanced add T4 only. If the T3 levels are low then increase the Armour.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 08-13-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Closed Thread