It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Symptoms, but normal Free t4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
    AG200
    (female)

AG200 HB User
    Symptoms, but normal Free t4

My GP says my tests are normal but I'm having symptoms. TSH was 2.06 and Free T4 was 1.2. She says the Free T4 is the important number and that 1.2 was great. Before I started taking birth control pills two years ago my TSH was .79 but they did not run the Free T4. She insists that I am in the normal range and does not care that at .79 I had no symptoms and felt great and now I am so tired I cannot make it through the day without a nap in my car at lunch. Any advice on these lab resulsts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Symptoms, but normal Free t4

What was the FT4 range?

If it was 0.8-1.8 you are at 40% of normal and this is suboptimal in range. Not GREAT. But there are many range limits depending on the lab used and technique employed.

Also you need some additional tests run. Insist on an Ft3 level check as well as TPOAb and TGAb testing. You could have Hashimoto's and need supplementation, but with out a positive antibody test it is hard to get proactive treatment of a thyroid issue based on symptoms alone. A TSH of 2 should not be ignored. It is far from optimal. Optimal TSH is 0.89-1.1 in range. Your early one was a bit lower than that, but may have been optimal for you. Do not give in. Insist on your MD finding out the source of your symptoms.

There are deficiencies that can mimic hypothyroidism as well. you should have you ferritin, B12, and vit D levels checked as well. Suboptimal ferritin is one of the biggest hypoT mimic sources. However I was treated for secondary hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's with a TSH of 2.077 because my Ft4 and Ft3 levels were 5% and 30% of normal range respectively. OPtimal thyroid hormone levels for a woman of childbearing years is 60-80% of normal range. You can be normal in range and not OPTIMAL for you.

MG

Closed Thread