It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Should I have gone with armour instead of other t4/t3 combo

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User
    Should I have gone with armour instead of other t4/t3 combo

(March 20 labs while on 100 Synthroid, 5 Cytomel and 1000 Metformin XR):

Free T3 261 (230-420)
    Free T4 1.3 (.8-1.8)
    TSH 1.70

NP put me up to 112 synthroid and added 5 more cytomel after these tests (started new doses around March 24...still really tired starting around 4pm). The NP had said that she fully expects having to up the Cytomel again once I get my new tests done the end of this month.

1. I am now wondering if I should have tried the armour route again or should I just stay with the synthroid/cytomel route and give this a chance. At the time I had decided to do the synthroid/cytomel route, I felt I needed more t4 than the armour could provide. Another h/c provider (previous to the NP who is treating me now) had pooh-poohed the idea of adding t4 to armour.

2. If I were to try armour again, what dose do you think I should do? I was thinking 60mg am/60mg pm to start if I tried this again.

3. How high do you think I should aim for FT3?

4. Supposedly all adrenal testing is "normal." The NP and I fully believe I have been in un-treated hypo-land since at least 2002 based on funky symptoms I have had in past and labs from 2002 I recently got my hands on (tsh of 5.0 from 2002...they didn't run free t's then...I was dx hashi's in Dec 2007).... is it possible even with "normal" adrenal testing that they could still be screwed up and not functioning b/c of She had run a total T3 back in early Feb when I was on 100 synthroid only and it was 98 (97-219)...what does that mean?

4. I am moving soon..have to find new h/c provider and probably will have to use different labs. I know that usually optimal is 50-80% of the range. I don't quite understand that... What I don't understand is if I have a new lab, their ranges my be totally different, but let's say I start feeling well w/ a FT3 of 350+ I don't understand how the percentages of the ranges coincide with things as opposed to say having a goal of FT4 of greater than 1.4 and FT3 of greater than 340 since all lab ranges differ.

Last edited by one2wonder; 04-07-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Should I have gone with armour instead of other t4/t3 combo

Quote:
    I know that usually optimal is 50-80% of the range. I don't quite understand that... What I don't understand is if I have a new lab, their ranges my be totally different, but let's say I start feeling well w/ a FT3 of 350+ I don't understand how the percentages of the ranges coincide with things as opposed to say having a goal of FT4 of greater than 1.4 and FT3 of greater than 340 since all lab ranges differ.
    Picture it this way: You're in school and have taken two tests.
    On test 1, there were 50 questions, making each answer worth 2 points. If you got all of them correct, you scored 100%. But let's say you answered only 40 of the questions correctly. That earned you 80 points (40 x 2 = 80); therefore you scored 80% on the test.
    On test 2, there were 200 questions, making each one worth only 1/2 point. If you answered all correctly, you still get 100%, just as you would have for all 50 correct answers on test 1. But if you answered 40 questions correctly on this test,, as you had on test 1, you earned only 20 points (40 x .5 = 20) - so you scored only 20% on this test. Big difference between 80% and 20%. The reason for that difference is that the "range" of questions changed from 1-50 to 1-200. The point value changed when the "range" got broader, and so the percentage value changed.

This should explain why your particular level's percentage is dependent on the lab range used. If it doesn't, I just wasted a whole lot of time trying to formulate a clear analogy. If I haven't succeeded in my goal, just accept my word for it that you have to figure the percentage for each test result based on the range used for that test.

I won't try to figure doses or play the "what if" game in regard to your other questions. Thyroid treatment has many approaches. If one doesn't work after being given a fair trial for at least 2-3 months, it's then time to move on to the next approach. No one reacts the same way to any one method, because no two physiologies are the same. That's why analyzing numbers and comparing one patient's treatment to another's is truly futile. It takes lots of trial and error to get it right, and it's one of those things that can't be done completely by mathematical calculations.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
    one2wonder
    (female)

one2wonder HB User

I guess I must be having some brain fog because I don't understand. If you get the free t4 to above 1.4 and free t3 above say 350 which is I think approx somewhere near where I should be on my current lab ranges, how would if I go to a new lab when I move who has new ranges make a difference? If I got to that point and felt well, and am balanced according to the current lab ranges, how do new lab ranges come into play? Why would being balanced according to one lab all of a sudden change everything when you have to use a new one?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hello One2wonder,

I am on Armour 3 Grain now....I take that in the AM. I take 25mcg of Cytomel in the afternoon due to getting very tired.. I sometimes take it too late in the day about 5 or 7pm...... I am supposed to take it at 3pm. At first it kept me awake a little but now I am adjusted to it. My Endo said I could split it and take 1/2 in am and 1/2 in afternoon but I take the entire pill in afternoon.

Sounds to me you need your Cytomel upped. See what Doctor says after next labs. I am way overdue for labs. So I hope to get those done this month.

Oleander

Closed Thread