It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Feeling great after total thyroidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
    cswilson
    (female)

cswilson HB User
    Question Feeling great after total thyroidectomy

I had my thyroid completely removed on April 2 and so far I'm feeling great. I'm not nearly as tired as I was before the surgery and I feel more motivated. Is this normal? I received the biopsy results yesterday and they were negative for cancer so my doc prescribed Synthroid 0.15mg (150 MCG) which I will start taking tomorrow. Is this a high dose to start out on? I just wanted to know if this is all in my head or if I can really feel this good this soon!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: Feeling great after total thyroidectomy

You probably got a good dose of thyroid hormone when the surgeon took out your thyroid. Some of it leaks into the blood stream I've heard.

How is your calcium level? Be alert for any twitching etc. from a low calcium. Were your parathyroids saved?

I'm thrilled that you feel so good. Hopefully, someone else will be able to tell you the normal dose of Synthyroid after surgery. Be sure to follow all the rules concerning Synthyroid. That includes not taking it with coffee or tea which I just heard a Endo on XM radio say. Plain water is the best. I take mine with applesauce which is allowed & then drink a 1/2 glass of water. I have to crush my pill because of a swallowing problem that I developed years ago when I had my first thyroiditis attack.

Wish you the best & hope you sail through the rest of the recovery period. Fam

Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

That's great news! Glad to hear the surgery went well and you are feeling good, and everything was benign!!!

It takes a couple of weeks for the old thyroid hormone to leave your system, and the pills to build, depending upon your size and needs that dosage may or may not have to be increased over time.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
    cswilson
    (female)

cswilson HB User

My calcium levels are great and they were able to save the parathyroids. Thanks for letting me know about not taking the medication with coffee or tea, I'm sure I would have done that and not thought anything about it!!! I hope I continue to feel this good.

Closed Thread