It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid make periods late?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Thyroid make periods late?

Does your thyroid issues make your period late?

I am a few days late, but I stopped my birth control pills after 8 years of use just after a few days my hyper thyroid problems, so I am not sure if it takes time for my body to re-adjust after being on pills for so long, or if my thyroid is effecting it. I am certain that I am not pregnant. I just happened to decide to stop taking them for other reasons, I didn't want to put synthetic hormones into my body anymore.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Re: Thyroid make periods late?

I found some information and the answer is yes!
    In my situation, I stopped birth control several days after my thyroid began acting up because I had planned that ahead of time. ANYWAYS,

Both the thyoid and stopping birth control can cause amenorrhea, which is the absence of a menstrual period.

Hypothyroidism typically effects the menstrual cycle by causing an increase or decrease in the production of prolactin a reproductive hormone generated by your pituitary gland. An altered prolactin level can affect your hypothalamus and disrupt your menstrual cycle

I just wanted to provide this information for anyone else that may be wondering what is going on.....

Old 04-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Thyroid make periods late?

My once regular periods began acting up and i began shedding abnormal amounts of hair. I knew something was hormonally wrong but didn't know quite what. I now know it was likely due to my Hashimoto's, i wasn't on any form of birth control, i also now know that i have estrogen excess, my testosterone is a bit over the lab range and my progesterone is low.

My periods never returned to normal until i began taking herbs from a naturopath. Now they've changed my herbs to also lower my estrogen.

My doctor has found hormonal imbalances with most patients. This is why he doesn't just treat the thyroid, but checks the other hormones too, including the hormone Cortisol which is necessary for healthy adrenal function, which is another thing quite a few thyroid suffers have issues with.

Closed Thread