It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• why am i losing weight with hypothyroid? (Hashi's)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User
    why am i losing weight with hypothyroid? (Hashi's)

okay this might be a bit confusing.
    i was diagnosed when i was 16 as hyperthryoid....it eventually turned into hypo.
    been hypo ever since except when a bad doctor but me on too much thryoid meds.
    now im seeing a endo which is reallly great. he diagnosed me with hashi and took my TSH from off the charts 138 to normal.
    thats great but something has been bothering me and they say its my thyroid.
    i find it hard to believe though.
    i weighed 142 pounds for probably 2 years. then all of the sudded my weight started to drop this was in october of 2008
    now i am 116 pounds.
    the thing is i started losing all the weight even when i was hypo so its not because my my thyroid is now normal.
    if i lose anymore weight i will be considered underweight. yet they just keep saying that sometimes people lose weight with hypothyroidism. ive never heard of that.
    also even though my thyroid is normal now my periods are still weird.
    i get them sooner than i should and its always heavy with clots.
    i was thinking maybe i needed to be tested for addisons because of the weight lose? im not sure.
    any input is appreciated.
    thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
    theysayloveis
    (female)

theysayloveis HB User
    Re: why am i losing weight with hypothyroid?(Hashi's)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ymoore86 View Post
    i was diagnosed when i was 16 as hyperthryoid....it eventually turned into hypo.
    now im seeing a endo which is reallly great. he diagnosed me with hashi and took my TSH from off the charts 138 to normal.
    i weighed 142 pounds for probably 2 years. then all of the sudded my weight started to drop this was in october of 2008
    now i am 116 pounds.
    the thing is i started losing all the weight even when i was hypo so its not because my my thyroid is now normal.
    if i lose anymore weight i will be considered underweight. yet they just keep saying that sometimes people lose weight with hypothyroidism. ive never heard of that.
    i was thinking maybe i needed to be tested for addisons because of the weight lose? im not sure.
    thanks.
    I'd get a second opinion, just in case. What's considered "normal" by your doc?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User

its in range like 1. something
    but the thing is i started losing all this weight before i even started lowering my thyroid levels.
    im also losing my hair like crazy...i know thats probably my thyroid too but its just weird that all this stuff would come up when my thyroid is now normal instead of messed up.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
    daisy01
    (female)

daisy01 HB User

I to was underweight before my hypo diagnosis. yet i gained 30lb in 7 weeks once on levo. I didnt have the constipation, i in fact had the opposite problem so badly I had to undergo a colonoscopy, endoscopy and a barium x ray. all came back normal. Have you considered some form of food intolerance as hashi's is an autoimmune disorder and allergies are extremely common with it.. My stomach will not tolerate wheat products even though my biopsies and blood tests show I do not have coeliacs. My weight has now normalised as i avoid wheat and soya as much as is humanly possible, my body now absorbs the nutrients from the food I eat because it stays inside me longer
    re the hair loss: this is very common due to the hormone changes when you start on medication. it will grow back once you are stabilised. every time you up your dose it will happen again too. I lost so much I considered buying a wig, however a trip out wig buying with my daughter and friend changed that idea. We tried on so many and started doing impersonations of stars like Cher in the middle of the store which made me laugh like I hadnt done for years. I decided that there were people worse off than me, like those undergoing chemo who wore their baldness with pride. I was not gonna worry about bald patches anymore. I stopped worrying and the hair grew back.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daisy01 View Post
    I to was underweight before my hypo diagnosis. yet i gained 30lb in 7 weeks once on levo. I didnt have the constipation, i in fact had the opposite problem so badly I had to undergo a colonoscopy, endoscopy and a barium x ray. all came back normal. Have you considered some form of food intolerance as hashi's is an autoimmune disorder and allergies are extremely common with it.. My stomach will not tolerate wheat products even though my biopsies and blood tests show I do not have coeliacs. My weight has now normalised as i avoid wheat and soya as much as is humanly possible, my body now absorbs the nutrients from the food I eat because it stays inside me longer
    re the hair loss: this is very common due to the hormone changes when you start on medication. it will grow back once you are stabilised. every time you up your dose it will happen again too. I lost so much I considered buying a wig, however a trip out wig buying with my daughter and friend changed that idea. We tried on so many and started doing impersonations of stars like Cher in the middle of the store which made me laugh like I hadnt done for years. I decided that there were people worse off than me, like those undergoing chemo who wore their baldness with pride. I was not gonna worry about bald patches anymore. I stopped worrying and the hair grew back.
    you started gaining the weight once your were on levo?
    im still losing it ....its getting to where i am worried because it wont stop.
    but what you said does make some sense to me. i actually have the same stomach problems. usually diarreah and stomach cramps. and i actually do eat alot of wheat. i love sun chips. and eat them all the time.
    but i never once thought of them having wheat making me have diarreah.
    i dont know though because my hair just recently started falling out like crazy and ive been on levo for a while. since i was 16. im now almost 23.
    with everything not making sense it makes me think of something else autoimmune. maybe addisons? im not sure.
    i just know that if you have a autoimmune disorder that you can be more likely to get another one.
    thanks for your reply

Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
    badger27
    (female)

badger27 HB User

I am struggling with the same problem & unable to gain weight. I have had many "second" opinions. I have always been very slim/ thin, but fit & healthy. I have struggled with losing even more weight since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism/ Hashi but lately, nothing I try with adjusting the meds is helping. For the past 1.5 years or so, it's all I can do to not look downright skeletal. I have been a vegetarian since birth and have been unable to eat wheat/ gluten for almost a decade but I eat according to these issues and have never had any difficulty so I know it's not my diet. I take weight-gain shakes and suppliments plus numerous vitamins. I wish I had advice that could help you but I just wanted to let you know, you're not alone. I get it.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
    badger27
    (female)

badger27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ymoore86 View Post
    now i am 116 pounds.
    thanks.
    Wow, just looked through some of the threads on this site. When someone says they are losing too much and can't gain with hypo/ Hashi's, they get the typical reply "tell me your secret" or "I wish I had your problem". Well, they don't; so they don't understand. Struggling to gain weight is just as hard as trying to lost it but almost no one understands & jokes are made. Just like some overweight people, I struggle to even look in a full-length mirror some days.
    Have you found a solution since your post? Have you been able to gain any weight? (if so, "tell me your secret" lol)

Last edited by badger27; 01-03-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: why am i losing weight with hypothyroid? (Hashi's)

This thread is nearly 3 years old, so you may not get a response from the OP.

But I can tell you that, if your weight problem is caused by your thyroid disease, it would be reversed with optimal treatment of that thyroid disease. Do you have any other lingering thyroid-related symptoms despite being in treatment for it? That's a sign that your dose is too low or that you need T3 in addition to T4.

If you have any recent labs to share, we can help you interpret whether you're getting the best care you can. (Might be best to post in a new thread of your own, so it won't get lost in this old one.)

Last edited by midwest1; 01-03-2012 at 08:40 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    badger27 (01-03-2012)
    Closed Thread