It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Subclinical Hypothyroidism

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
    theysayloveis
    (female)

theysayloveis HB User
    Lightbulb Subclinical Hypothyroidism

Hi All,

Thanks to those who helped me with my bloodwork I posted in a previous thread http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=682743&highlight=tsh+th yroid

I'm asking your advice yet again. I don't see an endo until the 29th but have more questions. My normal doc told me that I have subclinical hypothyroidism (and thinks my endo will treat, thank goodness).

However, I have basically every symptom of severe hypo (though I'm NOT). I was wondering this: can you be really sensitive to thyroid issues and can all my symptoms be related to being hypo even though at this point I'm subclinical? (My TSH is 3.5 range is 0.5-4.7 and my FT4 is 1.02 range is 0.8-1.8, if you want all my levels just go to my last post which is linked above)

I read two books on thyroid issues and couldn't find the answer to that question. My symptoms: cold all the time, fatigue (some days worse than others), brittle nails, hair breaking, weight gain (though my gain has been over the period of 2 years which coinsides with my TSH going higher and my gain has been much larger than 3-15 lbs, heavy menstration, puffy hands, face and feet, etc. See, literally most of the symptoms.

Also, I must note, I am extremely healthy despite being overweight now. I'm 23, a graduate student, teach at a Big Ten University, work in a fine dining restaurant, don't drink, don't smoke, play tennis, go for bike rides and do fitness videos AND my boyfriend (who lives with me) is a Dietitian.

Thanks, I know this is long and complicated, but any feedback will be invaluable to me as I'm trying to be as prepared as possible when I meet my endocrinologist!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Subclinical Hypothyroidism

The problem is with that term "subclinical". IMO, you aren't subclinical. You have high-normal TSH, low-normal FT4, and plenty of symptoms. That's as clinical a case of hypothyroidism as there is.

You are about to find out, as you enter the world of hypoT, that there is disagreement at every turn about what the condition is, when to treat it, and how it's treated. If one is fortunate enough, she finds an MD who is superb at knowing just how to do it right. I must caution you that there are many endos who aren't even close to adequate, much less superb. If you run into one of those, don't be discouraged. Let us know what happens after you see him.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
    theysayloveis
    (female)

theysayloveis HB User
    Re: Subclinical Hypothyroidism

Thanks so much midwest1, you have been so incredibly helpful! I meet with my endo in two weeks. She's a female and she's listed on the list of clinical endos who specialize in thyroid disfunction, so I'm hopeful. She's also young, on fellowship and graduated with a degree from University of Michigan, and I've heard nothing but good things about that program. I'll update

Last edited by theysayloveis; 04-10-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: gave a name of AACE

Closed Thread