It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Forgot Pill Yesterday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Forgot Pill Yesterday

What is the recommended way to deal with a missed dose?

I am thinking that I should take the missed pill, divide it into 4 parts and on the next 4 days add a quarter pill to my regular pill?

Or, is it best to not try to make it up?

Any thoughts?

I just did a brief search and learned the American Thryoid Assn. says to take 2 pills the next day , one in the morning and one in the evening......

Last edited by osteoblast; 04-09-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
    juner50
    (female)

juner50 HB User
    Re: Forgot Pill Yesterday

My doc told me that if I normally take my meds in the AM to take a quarter of my missed dose every other PM spread over seven nights. I take synthroid and cytomel. I do that only for the Synthroid. If I forget the Cytomel....I just skip it!!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

juner-that is interesting . I like the idea of spreading it over a number of days rather than the next day taking an extra at night. It would seem easier on one's system.

How much cytomel are you on? I am thinking of adding in a very low dose cytomel. I seem to be a poor converter of t4 to t3.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

I think it depends on one's age & dose. Older people are often more sensitive to Synthyroid. I only take 1/4 of a 50 mcg pill so I just take double the dose the next day. But if I were on more than 50mcg I would probably divide it up over several days. It also depends on whether you are at your goal thyroid replacement. Fam

Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
    daisy01
    (female)

daisy01 HB User

strange how different countries have different ideas lol
    my Gp said if i forget a dose dont take double the next day just skip it and that missing 1wont make that much difference. If I have forgotten 1, I dont feel it that day but 2-3 days later I will feel exhausted.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
    juner50
    (female)

juner50 HB User

Osteo,
    I'm on 200 MCG of Synthroid and 10 MCG Cytomel. Being on such a high dose of Synthroid is why I was told to spread out the missed dose over a few days. I think in general it's a good idea.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
    Linda1652
    Inactive
    (female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

You can take both pills at the same time. Cytomel is short acting. You can't make it up, so don't take it. Actually, it could be dangerous to take more than prescribed.

Synthroid doesn't show it's effects in your body until about a week later. Believe it or not, you could take a weeks worth of pills at the same time. Of course, that wouldn't be optimum.

I know I'm going to get a lot of disbelief and flak, but as a thyroid cancer patient, I have a lot of informtion about this.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Dave- I don't quite get what you said. Are you saying don't bother making up a cytomel missed dose BUT do go ahead and make up the synthroid dose and don't get overly concerned about when you take the missed synthroid dose?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

The synthroid builds up over 2 weeks in your body, so missing a dose is meaningless, and you shouldn't feel any effects (I've certainly missed a dose here and there), but in general you do want to try to take your medication regularly.

I don't think a missed dose of cytomel would matter too much overall either, it's out of your body by the end of the day or so anyway.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Dito on Reece. Once you are optimal if you miss a day you miss a day. You just make sure you do not miss it the next day. I was told that if I missed pill and remember in the evening then I could just take it with dinner and go back to normal. If it wrapped about to the next day. Forget it.

As to T3 supplementation in particular. NEVER double up on it unless you are deficient in T3 and your MD is increasing said dose. Too much T3 can cause SEVERE heart issues.

MG

Closed Thread