It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Borderline thyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
    sammyc
    (female)

sammyc HB User
    Borderline thyroid

Hi

I have been tested from the age of 7 for an underactive thyroid (I'm now 25) which has always come back borderline. A few years ago my mum was tested and she was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and is taking 100 mcg of levothyroxine a day.

I have been getting vague symptoms recently (always feeling cold, leg cramps, lack of concentration, putting on weight easily, brittle nails) so as it had been 9 years since I last got tested my mum recommended I get tested again.

Again the results came back as being very borderline but the doctor put me on 50 mcg of levothyroxine and I'm to get retested in 8 weeks. I am just wondering if putting me on levothyroxine is safe as I'm borderline and I dont want to take medication unecessarily. Has anyine else got experience of being borderline but taking medication?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Borderline thyroid

"Borderline" doesn't mean anything, as the borders change based on the whims of the doctor. Many doctors don't even understand where the borders should be!

If you know your test result and the lab range used, we can give you a better idea of whether you should be taking the levo or not. But my experience with doctors and hypothyroidism is that when a doctor considers you hypoT enough to treat, you're probably very hypoT... not just "borderline".

Old 04-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User
    Re: Borderline thyroid

Midwest1...that is probably one of the best posts I have ever read about being hypothyroid...thank you!

Closed Thread