It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• scar after thyroidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
    open_the_door
    (female)

open_the_door HB User
    scar after thyroidectomy

I had a total thyroidectomy back in Feb. 2009. I had RAI the week of April 6-10 where I had my uptakes, scan and then RAI. I'm doing really good. I'm taking cytomel for 4 more days, and then just synthroid. I go back on the 20th of April for another whole body scan to see if there is any tissue left. My question is about the scar after the surgery. I was told that vitamin E oil like from the capsules is supposed to be really good (I ***** the capsule with a needle and squeeze the oil onto the scar). How has that worked for some of you? Do you still have a pretty visible scar? I am a thin person, so you can see the scar quite easily. I'm not old enough to have alot of wrinkles in the neck so I guess when I am alot older I won't have to worry about that. Where I live, there isn't alot of sun, but I know one is supposed to keep the scar away from the sun. How do you do that one? I love to work in the yard, and the neck is exposed in the summer because of the short t-shirts. Do you wear like a think scarf, or use bandaids?

Anyways, I love to exercise and I went to the gym 6 days after my surgery just to do some brisk walking on the threadmill and a few weeks after the surgery started lifting light weights. When is it safe to jog? I love to run and I don't want to do anything crazy too early. I have been lifting alot more than I should of and I feel a pulling on my scar, almost like a tingling at times.

I feel great though. I actually lost about 7 pounds during my low iodine diet because I no longer ate chips, salami, or breads. It was amazing. I ate so much fruit and veggies. I have read that alot of people gain weight, but I guess I was quite lucky, or I just really stuck well with the diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: scar after thyroidectomy

You had your surgery in Feb and you are wondering if you are cleared for exercise? Unless there was something weird with your surgery and in that case ask your surgeon, of course you have been cleared for quite a while! (usually just a couple of weeks)---you may have to build up since you haven't done much in a while.

You can use full coverage sunscreen (ie, zinc oxide on your neck) to keep it out of the sun, your scar will continue to change. I didn't need anything for my thyroidectomy scar (it's amazingly small) but you can use scar guard tapes at night for it.

It's normal for the scar to feel tight or numb, it's been closed for a while nothing will happen to it, massage is good for all scars to stretch out the skin---get back to your life and enjoy!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
    open_the_door
    (female)

open_the_door HB User

Reece,

Thanks for your response. You are always giving great advice. I've been busy since my surgery. I have a little boy with Cerebral Palsy(he is a twin too), so I did alot of lifting right after the surgery since he needs alot of assistance. I love weight training and I should of been more clear with the lifting department. I am enjoying life. I tend to worry alot because we have alot of issues in the family right now. God has been good to us, and I'm so glad that there is this messanger board. One can't always call a doctor for questions, and other people that have not had this surgery do not always understand things. Thanks again for your info. and your kind words.

How do you massage your scar? Do you put some cream on it, do it after a shower so your skin feels looser? Do you rub it a certain way?

Last edited by open_the_door; 04-14-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
    REE43
    (female)

REE43 HB User

I had a TT in Dec 08, I still have my scar and I use vitamin e CREAM on it , actually found it in the supermarket beauty section. I rub it on the scar after every shower. It has helped. I still have the tightness inside though , I describe it like the feeling of a drawstring bag being closed, thats all I could think of.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I used Aquaphor ointment on a different surgical scar on my face after a car accident.. It was recommended by a Plastic surgeon.....I get it at any local store in lotion section. It is like vaseline. I was also told to take B and C for extra healing......

....Oleander

Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
    Lori123
    Veteran
    (female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi,
    I had a tt in Aug. 07' so I was told by my surgeon, to keep the scar out of the sun. I used a complete sunblock and/or many times, I just put a band aid over it. You really need to keep it covered, esp. the first year, thats what I was told. My surg. also said to put vitamin E on it. I put it on for a while at night when I went to bed. My scar is not too bad, it healed nicely. The only part I don't like is that it is in the middle of my neck, not at the base, as some people's are. It is not in a crease, either............the surg. said he likes to put it in a crease, but I didn't have one in the middle....above and below, but not in the middle!!! Anyway, keep it covered this summer. I hope it heals nicely.
    Take care,
    Lori

I lost 1 pound on the LID, and I did it for several weeks....what is up with that? Ha. I should have lost a lot more than that, I followed it strictly.better than gaining, though!!

Last edited by Lori123; 04-15-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add something

Closed Thread