It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• No help.......here are my first labs.....TSH Free T3, Free T4.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    No help.......here are my first labs.....TSH Free T3, Free T4.....

For those of you who have been around the block, please help me.

I first found out I have a thyroid problem about 7-8 weeks ago. My intial tests done by my family doctor were these:

Thyrogobulin: 14.5 Lab Range: 1.3 - 31.8

Thyrogobulin AB: 57.7 Lab Range: 0.0 - 14.4

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) AB: 27.4 Lab Range: 0.0 - 3.9

I was sent to an endocrinologist who thought I may have Hashimotos, but maybe Graves die to my eye pain. Here are my results I got back today:

TSH: 2.3 Lab Range: 0.45 - 4.5

Sedimentation Rate: 1 Lab Range: 0 - 20

Free T3: 3.1 Lab Range: 2.3 - 4.2

Free T4: 1.21 Lab Range: 0.6 - 1.7

Thyroid Stimulating Immunogobulins: 148 Lab Range: 0 - 129

I have to pry it out of the nurse who gave me results over the phone, but this is my intial diagnosis. I wanted to know if I have hashimotos or graves. The endo said no treatment, no uptake scan, no FNA/biopsy. Just come back in a few months to have blood drawn. Is that normal? How are my numbers? I know I was initially told that something is going on and that I have antobodies floating around and the thyroud tissue is active on itself. I have had an ultrasound indicating two nodules on the right side of the thryoid and I also have a cyst on my neck just above the thyroid.

Am I one of the lucky people whose doctor seems to be going off the labs results alone, although I wrote down a list of everything that suddently started to happen to me. I stressed to her that I shrug off a lot of symptoms, so it was not easy for me to sit down and list things that I have been feeling lately.

She mentioned that after reading the results, possible thyroiditis or toxosis? What does that mean? I just need to know which direction to head in.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
    (male)

898 HB User
    Re: No help.......here are my first labs.....TSH Free T3, Free T4.....

"Thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins, also known as TSIs, are autoantibodies that are produced by the immune system in the setting of Graves' disease." It is possible that you at early stage of it, however as long as the T4/T3/TSH are not very off the lab the doctors are not starting treatment as sometimes the antibodies can go into spontaneous remission. The TPO antibodie's range is somewhere between o and 35 not 3.5.
    i do not remember your ultrasound finding but solid nodules larger then 1 cm should be evaluated; also the cysts larger then 2 cm should be drained [if left alone , sometimes the compartments can form within it, which will make treatment difficult.]

Old 04-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It was like a switch flipped on and everything started, literally. I am a small person, I lost 10 pounds like it was nothing within 1.5 weeks. My appetite has since decreased and I have an extreme need to drink water, I get very thirsty constantly. When I urinate, it is always clear because I drink so much water now.

My thryoid is sometimes inflammed; feeling, feels "sick" or "buzzy" at times. There is always the something stuck in my throat feeling.

My eyes has hurt within the first week of the switch being flipped. The first few days my eyes were inflammed, glassy, bloodshot, my husband noticed right away.

Fairly intense for about a month straight with some days of extreme eye pain- on the extreme pain days it felt as though I had a stare (although not visible) and all I wanted to do was rest my eyes and I would try to rub the areas around my eye to relax the muscle. It seems because I don't have bulging eyes or developed a stare people wave this off, but everywhere I read, not everyone develops that!

I have always been very tired, nap during the days. Since this began I do sleep less, my body wasn't giving me a choice, I couldn't lay down and take a nap like I used to. I stay up later than usual sometimes, very noticeable to me. I tend to crash after a day or two.

Those are the major symptoms off the top of my head right now. I tend to wave off symptoms, I haven't determined if my heart races yet. Sometimes I feel anxious there, like I do when I fly home to see my family and I am about to get off the airplane and see them, I feel anxious, nervous, excited and my heart feels excited, maybe racing? If this is happened, it isn't really obvious to me, but I notice it. I tend to try to de-bunk it before I accept it as a true symptom.......

Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the reply. As for the cyst, there is a wall inside separtating it into two spaces or a a thin septation.

I have the actual print out from the lab, so I am typing my results as they are shown from them. I will get the print out from the second set of tests from the endo in the mail soon. I asked for them to tell me the lab range and my number.

I, personally, have a hunch that this is Graves. You mentioned that I couldn possibly be in the early stages? It could make sense because this started about 7-8 weeks ago. Maybe I am not far enough along?

I also have the print out from my ultrasound. Noth nodules are 5x3 mm in size.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

Three years ago I woke up one day and was literally vibrating. My normally 52 pulse was now in the 80s. I lost 7 lbs (I'm only 5'2") eating like a horse. After the runaround, my GYN was the one who believed this was a thyroiditis. The symptoms lasted three solid weeks and then fizzled out. I had the anxiety and the eye pressure. For the past three years I have never quite felt the same, sometimes 80-95% back to normal, it varied. In January I felt the onset of something in my throat. It got difficult to take a breath. I ended up in the ER with a very high HR and elevated BP. My TSH was high, my FT3 and FT4 were at the upper end of the range....go figure, it makes no sense. I got into an endo two weeks later who said he felt thyroid inflammation and nodularity. I had an US the following day which was read as normal. He repeated labs that dropped remarkably. My elevated TSH was now down to 1.4.....the lowest it has ever been in my life. Oh, he did a TSI which no one has ever done, it was 80, upper limit 125. TPO was 11. He thought perhaps another thyroiditis. The severe symptoms have gone away although I am left with anxiety from time to time and now I feel like I am putting weight on. I exercise 7 days a week and am a distance runner. How lovely to run 8 miles at a time and still feel fat. He recently repeated labs and TSH was 2.0, FT3 2.69 (2.3-4.2), FT4 1.1 (.8-1.8). So, here we go again. Total T3 125 (97-219). Interestingly, my alkaline phosphatase is VERY low which can be indicative of hypothyroid. Whatever my process is, it seems to be very slow. Good luck with your care. You most obviously have a process going on. It would be best to continue to find a physician who can work with you and deal with it.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

Sparkie,
    I was just about to ask for you..
    Recently I feel like the pace has picked up alot..
    the tightness and stabbing feeling in my throat is hardly ignorable.. The regular joint pains are a treat. I feel there is some activity in the thyroid area .. if it makes any sense..
    If I am sad or suddenly nervous and angry that area feels more on fire.. (if it makes any sense.. )
    I feel that there is much more swelling there and perhaps even visible.. and my voice seems to become hoarse time to time..
    I have an appt in 2 weeks..
    I have suddenly gained inches all over and I feel like definitely this is hypoT.
    i started synthroid 25 mcg 4 weeks ago.. I felt great for 15 days and now I feel down and out again ... like today I can't keep my eyes opn and just want to sleep..
    a week ago I could hardly sleep 5 hrs straight without waking up..
    this is such a ride.. !!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

898, I believe that all labs do not have the same ranges. Mine were positive as well with still different ranges. My lab uses these ranges:
    Thyroglobulin AB <4
    TPO AB 0-9

Hoppy

Old 04-15-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Okay,

Welcome to the land of Hashitoxicosis. Look it up. You have both Graves AND Hashimoto's. It is rare, but it happens. I have this as does my mom and an aunt. LAB ranges vary. Your tab ranges are common with one of three testing techniques for thyroid antibodies, so I suspect there is not a typo at work and you did have elevated hashimoto's and graves antibodies.

You have to treat them both and the resultant symptoms as well. In the end Hashimoto's will win and it actually seems to be in the lead now, but you can not ignore possible thyroid eye disease effects.

SO your TPOAb and TGAb indicate you have Hashimoto's this will require treatment for hypothyroid effects and issues.

Your TSI indicate you have active Graves. This is going to establish a hyperT-hypoT battle ground in your body. You will need to treat the dominant issues and wait for the thyroid to be killed off. OR as my mom and aunt did. Hack the thyroid out. Until the thyroid is dead or gone you are going to get the best/worst of both. My family had bad results with RAI thyroid destruction. My aunt had two and was told she would have to have a third, because her Graves/Hashimoto's thyroid just didn't want to die. Well each RAI made her symptoms worse so she order a TT versus a third RAI attempt. With in 6 weeks she was better than she had been in 10 years. SO personal family experience gives thumbs up for TT and thumbs down for RAI.

I have some thyroid eye disease issues. Mine have been treated best by my Nuero-opthamologist and neurologist. The Endo just wanted to wait until my thyroid turf war was at an end. So you are going to need MDs that will follow and treat BOTH your Hashimoto's and Graves. My eye issues were helped the most by starting on a T4 only supplement over a year ago. Migraines and pain went away with in the first month. It was quite surprising. B12 and Mg supplementation helped as well.

I had to get of BCs they were making my high CSF pressure worse. I had to take a beta blocker to counter Graves issues and periodically supplement with L-carnitine as well. My Hashimoto's dominated in all things but migraines and eyes. So I found the best treatment to approach the eye issues independent of the thyroid hormone levels. It worked well for me. What works best for you will be determined with the help of your MD and through trial and error. Keeping detailed symptom ligs was a must for me and very beneficial. If you do not keep a symptom log you might want to look into it.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 04-15-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dream77 View Post
    Sparkie,
    I was just about to ask for you..
    Recently I feel like the pace has picked up alot..
    the tightness and stabbing feeling in my throat is hardly ignorable.. The regular joint pains are a treat. I feel there is some activity in the thyroid area .. if it makes any sense..
    If I am sad or suddenly nervous and angry that area feels more on fire.. (if it makes any sense.. )
    I feel that there is much more swelling there and perhaps even visible.. and my voice seems to become hoarse time to time..
    I have an appt in 2 weeks..
    I have suddenly gained inches all over and I feel like definitely this is hypoT.
    i started synthroid 25 mcg 4 weeks ago.. I felt great for 15 days and now I feel down and out again ... like today I can't keep my eyes opn and just want to sleep..
    a week ago I could hardly sleep 5 hrs straight without waking up..
    this is such a ride.. !!
    Your 2 week honeymoon phase followed by a crash is typical behaviour for an undertreated hypothyroid condition. You most likely need a boost to 50 mcgs. Each boost is going to offer the same cyclic.. I am feeling hyperT/normal followed by the BLAHs at 12-14 days until your thyroid levels optimize.

MG

Old 04-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
    DestinBecca
    (female)

DestinBecca HB User

I am new to this Hashimoto Disease. My GP had may labs done and antibodies where 616 (normal 0-35) . My T3 and T4 levels are within the normal range. Have been on 10mcg of synthroid for 4 years and never have felt well. My GP put me on 200 mcg of synthroid daily until my next labs. Feel better and have lost weight the last two weeks (14 lbs).

My question is: Is anyone else on this high of dosage of synthroid?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Destin,

Some are.

How much you need depends on your thyroid hormone resistance, ability to absorb T4, and personal metabolism. You should keep a strict eye on your symptoms and make sure that your MD tests your Ft3 and Ft4 levels in 4 weeks post such a dosage increase.

MG

Old 04-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
    DestinBecca
    (female)

DestinBecca HB User

I already have lab slip for the retest with the T4 and T3 included. I am trying to go gluten free but having to make lots of changes in my diet.

This is a roller coaster!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dietary changes were harder to implement than getting my 33 pill a day medication schedule set. It is rough trying to watch what you eat and eat well with out packing a portable fridge on your back and stove on your hip. However lugging such things about would count as a solid work out..

MG

Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

Yeah ..
    I quit trying gluten free for a while..
    I do have the positive antigliadin antibodies but not a diagnosed gluten sensitive person.
    Surely if there are antibodies they are doing something to you.. but I realised the depression from thyroid crap nad then no satisfaction at food and coming to starve coz it was not possible to do what mkg proposed made me quit it atleast for now..
    Besides going gluten free for 3 months did not help in the leas.

Closed Thread