It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Elevated TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunogobulin) Do I have Graves?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Elevated TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunogobulin) Do I have Graves?

I thought today, I would get a diagnosis, but I didn't get any firm answer. I know that I am hyper, or that my symptoms are of hyper. (See my other post.) Today, all of the results were "normal" except the TSI was 148 and should be no higher than 129.

I have read that this is associated with the eye disorder and Graves disease. I do indeed have the eye problems, but my eyes are not bulging. I wish my endo or the nurse who read the results could tell me these things instead of me having to find this out for myself. They pretty much shrugged it off and the nurse didn't know anything.

Having an elevated TSI indicated Graves and eye disorder, I experience the eye pain. What do you think? Have you had an elevated TSI, and if so, do you have Hashimotos or Graves?

(I may be posting a lot of questions, I desparately want to understand what I have and it helps talking to others with experience.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
    mattie75
    (female)

mattie75 HB User
    Re: Elevated TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunogobulin) Do I have Graves?

In reading your post it sounds very similar to mine and many others here on this board. I too have TSI antibodies (140) with antiTPO and antithyroglobulin. My endo says I have Hashimoto's. I have nodules and cysts also with one side of thyroid larger than the other. I also had low uptake on RIU.

I also have muscle and joint pain, gritty eyes that hurt from time to time(I use moisture drops), dry mouth, hair falling out, getting fatter by the moment and the list goes on. One positive note, I sleep well and a lot. As I am on now medication now, I don't think I want to wait 2 more months to see where my levels are then. I feel bad now and plan to call and ask for a small dose to see if it helps. This endo was so nice and understanding - though did not offer meds yet since I am swinging so between hyper and hypo. He said he did not want to make me worse than I feel now. In his defense when I swing hyper it is the worst for me - severe anxiety and insomnia. He did not seem to be concerned about my nodule at this time as it is still less than 1cm.

Mattieann

Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
    (male)

898 HB User

In some rare cases Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's are co-exist.
    Your ultrasound shows heterogeneous echotexture which indicates damage by thyroid inflammation [thyroiditis] [in the near or farther past; can even be assymptomatic post-partum]. Your nodules are too small for biopsy, however they are hypoechoic, so they should be monitored by ultrasound [after 6 months first, then after 1 year].
    In very doubtful case the biopsy of the thyroid tissue, not nodule is taken out and investigated for lymphocytes [markers of Hashimoto's thyroiditis].
    the overall size of your thyroid is smaller then the average, which can indicate some tissue loss]-this is just speculation-due to inflammatory destruction

Last edited by 898; 04-15-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Having read all your posts and replied to most of them.

Like 898 states, it is possible to have both Hashimoto's and Graves. You do.

Now which is dominant at what time will vary and shift. Your AITDs are undergoing a civil war and as a result it will and often does get nasty. Treatment has to be hands on and steady. your MD has to be in the trenches with you and it may mean you get blood work drawn and medication adjusted EVERY 4 weeks. I went through that phase.

If you have a positive TSI reading you have Graves.

If you have a positive TPOAb and TGAB you have Hashimoto's.

in your case you have both Graves and Hashimoto's.

If you want a TED diagnosis you need to get to a neuro-opthamologist and have them fully evaluate your eyes and there condition. They will then be able to treat it now, before you look like a bug. My Aunt did the bug thing for a while... she used to joke that is was payment for being a buzzy body. It is treatable, the earlier the better.

MG

Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you, thank you , thank you for replying to ALL my messages. It really means the world to me. Why couldn't the endo just TELL me that I have both? Instead I have to figure it out for myself, that is why I have all the questions. I believed all along that I have Graves, then she mentioned Hashimotos but she wasn't sure. I was waiting for these results and the nurse read them to me over the phone and I asked her what the endo's diagnosis is and she didn't know. She only found something about possible thyroiditis or toxicosis.......I am guessing from what I am learning is that I have BOTH Hashimotos and Graves. I actually called first thing this morning to ask them to clarify that, but they never called back. Again, thanks for the replies it means everything to me!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
    Why couldn't the endo just TELL me that I have both? Instead I have to figure it out for myself, that is why I have all the questions. I believed all along that I have Graves, then she mentioned Hashimotos but she wasn't sure.
    She didn't know how to interpret the test results herself. When she saw you had both types of antibodies it did not compute with her that you could have both. That's what is so great about the internet and this website.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you Kitty. I wish she would have taken a second to see that I may have both. I have been hanging on this moment since it began.....all I wanted was a diagnosis. I just wanted her to see you have THIS or if seems like THIS is going on. It is frusterating because I have to figure it out myself and some of my close freinds and family members have been waiting to hear my results and I didn't know what to say and I don't want to tell them the wrong thing. Because mt TSI is elevated and I have the achy eyes/eye pain I KNOW I have Graves or some issues with it. I also know that since this began I have been HYPER, not hypo. I can accept that I may have both because of my elevated antobodies tests and sometimes my thyroid becomes inflammed.

Closed Thread