It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Labs and Stumped on results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
    mtm1215
    (female)

mtm1215 HB User
    Thyroid Labs and Stumped on results

Hello everyone!

I've been here before asking questions about thyroid among other things because my body seems to be falling apart....LOL

I know there are some knowledgable persons on this thyroid board so I'm hoping you can offer some insight.

I began getting checked for thyroid issues in 4/08. I had a thyroid ultrasound done as well. It was than I found out that I also had 2 thyroid nodules..one on each side measuring 1.5 cm. My PCP sent me to an endo at this point because he felt he would look into the nodules and be best at treating my underactive thyroid and hashimotos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lab Ranges are....
    THS .40-4.50
    T3 22-35
    T4 4.5-12.5
    Free T4 1.4-3.8
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Below are my thyroid numbers.......

Always done at the same Lab.

4/16/08 THS 6.07

4/29/08 THS 5.23

Peroxidase 255
    T3 29 T4 7.23 Free T4 2.8

Started on 50 mcg synthroid by PCP

7/1/08 THS 2.74

T3 30 T4 9.2 Free T4 2.6

seen by Endo now and he keeps me on 50mcgs

7/28/08 THS 3.89

T3 29 T4 8.9 Free T4 2.6

Synthroid upped to 75mcgs

9/25/08 THS 4.16

Peroxidase 169
    T3 26 T4 7.6 Free T4 2.0

10/28/08 THS 3.99

Peroxidase 159
    T3 27 T4 8.0 Free T4 2.2

Synthroid Upped to 100mcgs

1/20/09 THS 0.18

Endo only checks THS here and says I'm doing great, The way I feel has nothing to do with thyroid and keeps me on Synthroid at 100mcgs.

In the middle of me seeing endo, I keep contact wth my PCP. Explain my numbers are up and down and that my throat feels funny. PCP sends me for Ultrasound of thyroid again.

The 2 original nodules remained the same in size but now I gained another nodule on the left side but its small at 6mm but the thyroid itself has gotten bigger.

The endo is the only one to accept my insurance at this time so PCP said stick with him and hopefully he'd biopsy the larger nodules.

The endo never did and after the new year's thyroid numbers, I called PCP and told him I wanted him to treat me because the endo was just blowing me off. He said fine.

PCP gave me a labslip to get my thyroid #'s

4/9/09 THS 22.23

Peroxidase 275
    T3 24 T4 5.0 Free T4 1.2

OMG...How can I go from 0.18 to 22.23?? and my Free T4 is low at 1.2

I take my synthroid every morning at 6 am. Wait an hour or more to eat. Take my vitamins and blood pressure meds at 9 am so that none of it will intefere with the thyroid meds!!!

PCP upped me to 112 mcgs of synthroid.

Does anyone have any feedback for me about my #'s.
    Any questions I should ask PCP?
    I'm tired of being tired!!
    Thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Thyroid Labs and Stumped on results

You need to keep an eye on your Ft3 and Ft4 values. the TSH fluxes too much to be an accurate measure of thyroid hormone health for Hashimoto's patients.

Also given the nodules I would look for an ENT that does FNA biopsies and is FAMILIAR with thyroid anatomy and physiology. They will be a great doubel check on your ENDO.

Your TPOAbs are going down. That is good and expected on thyroid supplementation. You need to get your PCP to run an FT3 on you. The T4 and T3 are pretty much useless tests IMPO and should only be used if there is no lab in a 200 mi area that can perform the FT4 and Ft4 more accurate tests.

T3 24 (22-35) You are 15% of normal range with a +/- 2-% source of error here. Not good your need more thyroid medication IMPO because of this.

T4 5.0 (4.5-12.5) You are at 6 % of normal here. Not good and far from optimal especially given the 20% error inherent in this test and the fact that estrogen levels and more cause this test to be artificially inflated.

Free T4 1.2 (1.4-3.8) The free tests are the gold versions in direct thyroid hormone detection. they have a 2.5-5% source of error and are not effected by BCs, estrogen/hormone fluxes, diet, etc. This show you subnormal in range. It indicates you need thyroid hormone big time. You are -8.3% of normal range.

So why did the TSH flux that much. It was most likely a Toxicosis effect of your Hashimoto's. When you have massive tissue destruction your system is flooded with T4 before it enters a deprived state. You probably caught your blood at just the right time to see the Toxicosis effects of a T4 dump on your TSH followed by the deprivation of an increasing demolished thyroid.

MG

Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
    mtm1215
    (female)

mtm1215 HB User

MG

Thank you so much for your informative post. It has a wealth of information for me and I Thank you for taking the time to respond!!!

I'm just beside myself and wonder if I'll ever feel normal again. I'm just plain tired of being tired

I know the endo said 1.0 would be perfect for me and I just wonder if I'll ever acheive it.
    Now, that I left the Endo. I have hope my PCP will be more agressive in following me.
    The endo just looked at numbers and blew off everything else.
    Maureen

Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Great information was provided with you, so I can't add anything, but I can identify with terrible endo who treat according to numbers on a piece of paper. In my case, I am hyper with Graves and she choses to ignore the eye disease and the three tests that are elevated. They try to tell me I am perfectly fine! hahahaha! At least I can say I was prepared for this by reading and talking with others on message boards. This for some reason seems typical behavior in many cases which just baffles me. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone in that regard. I am going back to my family doctor who originally suggested I see an endo. My family doctor calls me personally to give me test results and discuss any questions I may have, I am certain that she can work with me. Just make sure you are well knowledgable on the thyroid and your condition so you can have some control over your treatment. I wish you peace and luck,

Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
    mtm1215
    (female)

mtm1215 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Thyroid Labs and Stumped on results

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
    Great information was provided with you, so I can't add anything, but I can identify with terrible endo who treat according to numbers on a piece of paper. In my case, I am hyper with Graves and she choses to ignore the eye disease and the three tests that are elevated. They try to tell me I am perfectly fine! hahahaha! At least I can say I was prepared for this by reading and talking with others on message boards. This for some reason seems typical behavior in many cases which just baffles me. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone in that regard. I am going back to my family doctor who originally suggested I see an endo. My family doctor calls me personally to give me test results and discuss any questions I may have, I am certain that she can work with me. Just make sure you are well knowledgable on the thyroid and your condition so you can have some control over your treatment. I wish you peace and luck,

Funny, My PCP has always called to tell me my lab results each and every time I had it done. My Endo never called me personally, Just waited for me to come into my appointments. It drove me crazy.

I have hope my PCP wil be more aggressive. He is having me go at 6 weeks for labwork as opposed to the 12 weeks the endo had me doing.

I know having Hashi's is something working against me but if I could just find something that would help with my tiredness, I'd be in heaven!!

Thanks for your reply!!

Closed Thread