It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Just Diagnosed and Question about Westhroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
    shellydp
    (female)

shellydp HB User
    Just Diagnosed and Question about Westhroid

Hi Everyone .. I love having forums!

I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism after five years of arguing with different doctors that something was wrong .. I had three TSH tests that were "normal" and put on anti-anxiety pills, anti-depressants and hydrocodine for headaches!! I never bought them or took them because I knew that wasnt the issue ... ARGGGG!!

Anyway, 12 lbs, a frustrated husband and a thousand naps later, I finally found a doctor who listened and ran full blood work. She said my TSH levels were normal but everything else was very low. Here are my levels if that will help any

T3 TOTAL 109
    T4 THYROXINE 7.1
    FREE T4 0.93
    FREE T3 2.7
    REVERSE T3 201
    THYROID PEROXIDASE AB <37

I really havent researched enough to understand what these results mean. According to my results, all of the above fall within the normal range but are on the low side ..

So, my doc put me on Westhroid. She does the bio identical hormones so she prefers a "natural" treatment. I am taking 1 GR tablet a day. I have only been taking them for four days and I know I cant expect results for several weeks. But .... I am retaining water which sucks because I have already gained weight ..

I read in a post somewhere that when a thyroid medication causes weight gain that the dosage needed to be higher .. any thoughs??

Also, I would like to hear from someone who has take both westhroid and armour... which did you like best and why?? The doc recommended armour but the pharmacy she sent me to only had westhroid so that is what I got.

Thanks guys .... I do appreciate any input...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
    shellydp
    (female)

shellydp HB User
    Re: Just Diagnosed and Question about Westhroid

I also wanted to mention that during the 5 years of waiting for a diagnosis, I have gone through weeks where my abdomin is swollen and tender. I also would have gas on and off. I had colonoscopy and endoscopy with everything being normal ..

Can hypothyroidism cause gas, bloating and abdomin tenderness?? I am still having problems with that .. it seems to last for a couple of weeks and then go away, only to come back again.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
    asmith08
    (female)

asmith08 HB User

Hi Shellydp

Did your physician really explain in details of those results? Because sometimes even when you're considered to be in the "normal" range you may be expereincing different symptoms with someone that is the "middle range of normal" rather than you being in the "lower range of normal". I have heard that wstthroid and armour is probably the same but armour is more popular.

Did I help at all?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
    shellydp
    (female)

shellydp HB User

Yes, she did. I have been experiencing many of the problems that are associated with hypothyroid. She explained that my TSH was very good so the signal to my brain to make thyroid hormones was good but the free t3, t3 and t4 were right below the "normal" in the ranges on this lab. So I am not horribly off according to the test I guess but she acted like it was very low .. Im sure when you compare the results to the high end of normal that I am very low.

I have only taken the westhroid for five days now so I dont feel any difference other than I am retaining a lot of water and seem very gassy with stomach pain in my lower left side ..like gas maybe. She said that wasnt a side effect of westhroid but it has to be related to that because it is very noticable.

Closed Thread