It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Prescribed Armour for Hashimoto's, Normal Range TSH, T3, T4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User
    Prescribed Armour for Hashimoto's, Normal Range TSH, T3, T4

I have Hashimoto's, but normal TSH, T3, T4. I read on another website that taking thyroid medication can slow the destruction of the thyroid. I didn't think my doctor would give me medication with normal labs, but she did. She has prescribed Armour 15 mg., twice a day.

My lab results:

TPO AB: 97 High (range 0-34)
    Antithyroglobulin Ab: 142 High (range 0-40)

TSH 1.407 (range .45-4.5)
    Triiodothyronine, Free 3.3 (range 2.3 - 4.2)
    T4, Free, Direct 1.18 (range 0.61 - 1.76)

I do have symptoms, but I am also anemic, low Vit. D, low ferritin, so overlapping problems/symptoms. I also have heart palpitations and shortness of breath (I think from the anemia).

My question is will taking Armour 15 mg., twice daily push me into hyperthyroidism since I am in normal range for TSH, T3, T4? I asked the doctor this and she said no, not at that small a dosage. What do you guys think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Prescribed Armour for Hashimoto's, Normal Range TSH, T3, T4

You are at 52% of normal with regards to your Ft3 and 49% of normal with regards to your Ft4 levels. This is balanced and does indicate the need for T3 supplementation. It is low optimal in range and given you still have symptoms a boost in T4 or a smal T4 T3 combination should be safe and not throw you into hyperT la la land.

You should be safe to try the small Armour dose, but if it gives you heart issues ask for an increase of 12.5-25 mcgs of T4 instead.

MG

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Prescribed Armour for Hashimoto's, Normal Range TSH, T3, T4

You got it herekittykitty. You are balanced which indicates that your adrenals are most likely in good shape. Your Ft levels being just at 50% in range puts them at the low end of the optimal 50-80% range of normal. A small boost in supplementation of T4 12.5-25 mcgs should push you closer to the optimal range and wipe out your symptoms.

I am wishing you the best of luck. It looks like you are getting close to your optimal mark as far as thyroid hormone levels are concerned.

MG

Closed Thread