It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• So confused, for what reasons do dr suggest thyroidectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
    deirdre8256
    (female)

deirdre8256 HB User
    So confused, for what reasons do dr suggest thyroidectomy?

According to ultrasound I have bilateral solid masses one measuring 2.9 cm and one 2.6 cm. FNA was benign. I have been searching online and reading about thyroidectomy and from what I see it is mainly suggested for suspicion of thyroid cancer.

I understand that thryoid cancer is highly curable, but the thought of any kind of cancer in my body scares me, no matter how curable.

I am scheduled for a total thyroidectomy soon. What was seen on my Ultrasound from 2 years ago were 2 "lesions" both under 1 cm. Now the dr says they appear to be Masses. and the report says there is blood flow within the mass.

Do the dr's suggest thyroidectomy only when they suspect cancer?

And is there any difference between a nodule and a mass?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by deirdre8256; 04-20-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
    Jo636
    (female)

Jo636 HB User
    Re: So confused, for what reasons do dr suggest thyroidectomy?

Hi
    I had a thyroidectomy last May. The reason for this was i'd been having problems with Graves for over 7 yrs and everytime I had a trial off period from drugs it flared up again!! Then in Sept 2007 I developed a goitre (which I'd never had previously) This started to affect me as it got quite big (I could feel it when I was lying down as it pressed on my windpipe) I was told that even if I went hypo after the op (which I did and was put on meds last Aug) it would be much easier to treat than being hyper (how wrong they've been and I'm currently seeking private healthcare as I live in Britain and the NHS are not helping me anymore and I keep being fobbed off that everything is fine as my blood results are within 'normal' range!!)Post op I thought it was the best thing I'd ever done having the thryoidectomy as I felt fantastic and as long as I get sorted soon re being hypo I would still recommend it as a cure for being hyper but please ask lots and lots of questions about what happens if you end up going hypo post op (i.e what if you have a reaction to the meds, if you can't naturally convert T4 into T3-worth doing your homework even if it is 'what ifs') But to put your mind at ease 'sorry if I've scared you with everything else!'-they don't just do the op if they suspect cancer.
    I hope you get sorted
    Jo
    xx

Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: So confused, for what reasons do dr suggest thyroidectomy?

Unfortunately, FNA's only pull a small sample of cells, and the only possible way to know for sure if there's thyroid cancer or not is to actually remove the thyroid lobe or lobes where the nodule is, and examine the cells as well as if certain types of cells are encapsulated or not.

As there is no other way to know, and you have red flags the size, growth, and the blood flow, so your doctor wants to remove to make sure you know if it's cancer or not---not knowing doesn't mean not having it, so not having the surgery isn't going to help you.....and it's very likely benign, but you can't tell unless it's out unfortunately.

Closed Thread