It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• More Confused Than Ever... Help!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
    sophiesmom59
    (female)

sophiesmom59 HB User
    Question More Confused Than Ever... Help!!!

Hi all! I'm back and really need some expert advice.

Back in October I had a AntiTPO level of 447. My retest last week showed I now have a level of 287. I'm glad it's dropped, but does this mean the destruction is still significantly active?

Right now I'm only on estrogen and progesterone replacement.

In December, late afternoon draw, my test results were:

T3, Total 109 (ref. 97-219)
    T3 Uptake 32% (ref. 22-35%)
    T-4, (Thyroxine) Total 9.0 (ref 4.5-12.5)
    Free T4 Index (T7) 2.9 (1.4-3.8)
    TSH 3G 1.84 (ref. > or = 20 Years: .4 - 4.5)
    No antibody or T3 Free tests done at this time

Last week's results, mid afternoon draw, same ref. ranges:

T3 Uptake 28%
    T4 Total 8.7
    Free T4 Index 2.4
    TG antibody pending; TSH 3G pending - haven't received these yet.

Strange note on the Iron test results. It states: Result consistent with prolonged exposure to red blood cells. Interpret result with caution. Does anyone know what this means?

I'm still freezing cold, fatigued, achy all over, dry skin, losing hair, lost the outer part of one of my eyebrows, what's left of my hair is a frizzball, feeling just absolutely like crapola yet these numbers, though the FT4 has dropped, don't look so bad and I'm not likely to get any treatment whatsoever I'm really bad in the morning, okay by around noon (I still am not sleeping well and up by 4:45 to 5 AM every morning), then by 4 in the afternoon, the cold, chills etc. start all over again. I just wish I could solve the brainfog issue!

I'm lost and don't know what to do. Whether to beg for a trial, etc. on anything. The doctor is supposed to call me and review these results this week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
    sophiesmom59
    (female)

sophiesmom59 HB User
    Re: More Confused Than Ever... Help!!!

Wow, I just got my TSH test in the mail this morning after I'd posted my results. It was 2.89 3rd Gen.

If it was that elevated in the mid afternoon, I wonder how high it is in the morning or in the evening when I feel like I just got blended through a fan.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

First your MD needs to stop with the old tests that are inaccurate and approximate ways to measure your thyroid hormone output.

Your MD needs to write blood work for Free T3 and Free T4.

No index.. nada. The T4 and T3 from Dec show that you have a T4 to T3 inbalance and most likely need T3 supplementation and probably wouldn't hurt from some T4 supplementation as well.

T3, Total 109 (ref. 97-219) 9.8% of normal range but this test has a 20% source of error.. which means you may be below normal range despite a normal TSH.

T-4, (Thyroxine) Total 9.0 (ref 4.5-12.5) You are 43.75 % of normal here. This is just below the 50-80% optimal range.. but there is a 20% source of error here as well. If you are on estrogen supplementation such as BCs or more this will be artificially inflated.

TSH 3G 1.84 (ref. > or = 20 Years: .4 - 4.5) Well at least it is the good test even if the range the lab is using is pre2002.

You need to get Ft3 and Ft4 levels tested first thing in the morning. You need thyroid supplementation and you are going to need T3 supplementation in my opinion as well.

MG

Old 04-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You haven't had an FT4 test that I can see. You have had an FT4 Index. This is not an FT4. It is an approximate measurement test method like the T4 total. IT IS NOT AN FT4. It is a bit more accurate than the T4.. but not much. You need to insist on the Free T4 and Free T3 tests.. no Index versions or total versions... then you will know where your actual thyroid hormone levels are with in 2.5-5%.

MG

Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
    sophiesmom59
    (female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Thanks again for the reply.

This is absolutely assinine....ARGH!!!!!

I ASKED for them to be tested! And with the TSH going up, what the heck am I to do???

Closed Thread