It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board

  • 2 weeks post-op and soooo aggravated with follow-up!!

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
    candyhrt37
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: SC
    Posts: 5
    candyhrt37 HB User
    2 weeks post-op and soooo aggravated with follow-up!!

    I just went back today for my follow-up. Originally I was supposed to have a total Thyroidectomy. But after surgery I was told my Thyroid didn't look as bad as what they thought ,that my parathyroid was enlarged and they removed that along with my right side thyroid. Today she told me that there were cancer cells in my right side thy. but were so small they were nothing. When we discussed my surgery, I told her I wanted a total not a partial because I didn't want to chance having to go back in there in a few years. She agreed and said that's what she'd do if it were her because going in a 2nd time would be harder because of scar tissue. Now she's sending me to an Endo to see about meds. I asked her if (even thought it was a small amount) she was sure all cells were gotten and she said yes. And then I asked if it would be better if both sides were out because of the cancer cells. She said some dr's would say yes, some no. She said the endo might say because i'm young, it would be better to go ahead a take the left out. So i'm really aggravated. I signed consent forms for a total thyroidectomy. Now i'm facing the possibilities of more dr. bills and surgery and our insurance is not all that great. And can they really be sure they got all the cells? And how do they know my left side does't have cancer cells too? Just because it looks fine doesn't mean anything-the right side looked fine too. Just a "small amount" of cells isn't reasurring to me. Cancer cells are cancer cells and I would feel better if she had of taken the whole thing out like planned. She told me the good news was this was the "good" cancer to have because it was treatable. yes it is-WITH A TOTAL THYROIDECTOMY LIKE WE AGREED ON!!!! Sorry needed to vent.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: NY
    Posts: 3,803
    Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: 2 weeks post-op and soooo aggravated with follow-up!!

    I could imagine your frustration. Sorry for your diagnosis, but the good news is you caught this before the cancer cells could grow and do any damage. You are correct in the fact that you won't know if there is microcancer on the other side, if you don't take out the other side.

    I think you should talk to a higher level surgeon, as well as a good endo with lots of thyroid cancer experience. Is your hospital a university hospital (I don't know where duke or emerson are) ? Or is there a satellite cancer center near you? They might have some good doctors that will give you their opinion based upon research---some might say to destroy with RAI, some (like my surgeon) would say take the whole thing, and others might keep your tsh suppressed and watch it.

    I think your surgeon made a poor decision, however, I will say that my surgeon, (a thyroid specialist on the board of the thyroid cancer organization) who knew I had cancer going in, did tell me he would only take out as much thyroid as safely possible without causing injury to other structures---he ended up getting everything out, but he did warn me about that before he went in. And yes, second surgeries can be a bit more challenging. But hopefully you will get a decision you feel comfortable with, since there's not much there, you can probably wait on this and not think about it for a while.

     
    Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: Missouri, USA
    Posts: 12,924
    midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: 2 weeks post-op and soooo aggravated with follow-up!!

    I can't offer much concrete help regarding the cancer. Just want to tell you that I don't blame you one iota for being livid at that surgeon, and I sympathize. As bad as it is not to know whether the remaining gland has cancer cells, the monetary considerations are not inconsequential, either.
    I'm sorry this happened to you. Wishing you well...

     
    Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: Ozarks in Arkansas
    Posts: 1,838
    Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: 2 weeks post-op and soooo aggravated with follow-up!!

    Sorry that happened to you. I would be ****** off too......

    Can you imagine going in for a tonsilectomy and they only take out one tonsil? I mean if you discussed it beforehand and you KNEW you may have a partial that is one thing..... Sounds strange to me. Especially since it sounds like they are going to medicate you for hypo....soooooo why did they leave it there?

    Well you cannot change it now so you have to move forward........find a good specialist to talk too. Like Midwest and Reece said. Try not to waste too much precious energy on this Doctor..... Move forward and be concerned about you and your wellbeing.

    Much Love, Oleander

     
    Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: us
    Posts: 1,693
    famnd HB User
    Re: 2 weeks post-op and soooo aggravated with follow-up!!

    My daughter had one lobe removed for cancer & then the 2nd lobe was removed about a month later. It was free of cancer.

    Her parathyroids were destroyed & her Dr./nurse failed to notify her that she needed to start on calcium. So she had to take massive doses of calcium which damaged her kidneys. Then she had to take antihypertensives to protect her kidneys which lowered her already low b/p. She wishes she had left the good lobe in & monitored it with ultrasound.

    BTW her surgeon prefers doing two surgeries because it may prevent vocal cord damage.

    I don't blame you for being upsett but perhaps your anatomy was such that he thought it better to do two operations. Fam

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:40 AM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!