It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How do you stay positive at work when you feel like crap?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User
    How do you stay positive at work when you feel like crap?

I know my thyroid meds need to be increased, but I don't see my endo for several more weeks. My adrenals are exhausted but not fatigued yet (cortisol is too high in the morning and also high at night). My chiro is tryng to find something I can take that won't break me out. In the meantime, I'm always tired. This morning I'm really dragging, but I have to go to work. My boss is a regular Pollyanna who hates to hear anything negative and wants everyone to be happy and smiling all the time. She told me yesterday I've been too negative and have been ruining her moods. So if anyone has any advice on how to fake a happy face when you feel like you could fall asleep any minute, you're dizzy and overall feel mentally and physically exhausted, I'd appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
    cali1892
    (female)

cali1892 HB User
    Re: How do you stay positive at work when you feel like crap?

Lord, I don't know. I'm in the same boat. If anyone has any suggestions please help.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

To be honest, these days, in the US, I'm thrilled to have a job and income---so many out there have lost their income, and I'm so grateful to be working when others are not, and have to hit the pavement and motivate themselves to go on interviews and face rejection and financial challenges.

Attitude is invaluable to getting thru. a day when you don't feel good. My mother has to go thru. chemo which makes her feel horrid, and she puts on some make up and gets her hair done, and she says putting a smile on, and dragging herself out of the house actually makes her feel better.

When I was hypo for RAI prep for thyroid cancer, I pretended I was an actress at work, and that I was on camera, and had to look as if I felt better than I was. It got me thru. the day.

You'll find something that works for you, but keep in mind, you are fortunate to have a job and income---many envy you now.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

Yes it is hard..
    My biggest challenge is .. I can get by the day but NOT PERFORM to the best.. career suffering.. don't know how to feel "interested" in anything..
    My work is very technical and I have to really feel good and positive and motivated and it is a challenge to feel those things when you have a chemical imbalance in th brain thanks to the thyroid.
    I would suggest just doing what you need to to stay above the water at work .. doing the minimum youi can to get by and not lose your job, put the career on hold for a bit and treat it like a job.. and push hard for treatment..

Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
    kandiceann83
    (female)

kandiceann83 HB User

I truly wish I could help. This disorder has by far been the most frustrating thing in my life.
    My only advice is to take one day at a time...enjoy the small things (if you can, I know it is hard)
    Also...the phrase, "this too shall pass" comes into play. Sure it may only get better for a little while, but God won't let you suffer every single minute of every day.
    I hope you get some relief and answers. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
    rd1
    (female)

rd1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali1892 View Post
    Lord, I don't know. I'm in the same boat. If anyone has any suggestions please help.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
    rd1
    (female)

rd1 HB User

I am going to be in the same boat too. Where I work we are told that we are always ON STAGE (perfoming)With a cheerful and positive attitude.When feeling down, welcome to go "backstage' and let it out and then come back Onstage. (I work at a Bank)
    My sister always told me when I was sick to just go out and do something different for yourself- get a makeover and wear a different color lipstick, a diff haircut etc Tyr some diff clothes too!
    I hope this helps.

Last edited by rd1; 04-29-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

Great question. The last thing I am is dramatic but I dig deep and bring out the actress in myself. I surprise even myself what comes out of my mouth sometimes with this approach. Try a "cameras rolling" approach. I also take a lot of mental breaks and will take a minute to surf the internet, then back to work.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
    REE43
    (female)

REE43 HB User

I totally understand how hard it is to get through a day at work when you have health issues. I had a TT for cancer 12/08 and now I have to have a parotidectomy in July. It has been so hard to get regulated on thyroid meds and now this. It helps to have an understanding employer which I have had but hard for others to understand what we go through. I was out of work a couple mos in Dec and will be out again. I keep telling myself just try to stay positive because I have to work financially and for the health insurance. I have made up my mind that I will take it one day at a time and keep saying over and over "This too shall pass" its become my motto. Good Luck to you , hang in there.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 AM   #10
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

I'm really trying. Right now I think my thyroid is flaring. My neck feels swollen and I'm so tired all the time. I'm having a hard time focusing and remembering things, so even with a good attitude, my body won't let me get thru a day at work without a serious struggle.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #11
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I recall having chronic tiredness, felt like crawling under the desk and staying there, my head felt foggy and i felt as though i'd been hit by a bus. My eyes would be stinging, puffy and so sore as though they would burst.

I think this comes from running on empty, courtesy of the adrenals. Having too much or too little cortisol are the same and often give off thyroid-like symptoms. I began meds for my adrenals the same time as my thyroid and i know that the above symptoms all came from my adrenals and not my thyroid as after about a week on the cortisol supplements i was a changed person and all for the better. Thyroid meds take longer to kick in so i knew i wasn't feel much better in the space of a week just from thyroid meds.

I don't know how i got through those months at work. Even driving home was a hazzard and i had a car accident once as i had begun hellucinating at the traffic lights. My coordination was out and i'd confuse the lids off all the jars eg: sugar, coffee, milk lids etc etc. I think you get so tired that you just don't know what you are doing. At work i had to be so careful as my error rate had gone up. I didn't tell people at work much about what was going on. I'm sure the entire time was an Academy Award performance

Now i'm fine and it astounds me how good i feel. You could have knocked me over with a feather when my doctor told me i could stop taking the cortisol as my levels had improved and gone up a little too high (which did make me a bit dizzy, nausea and made my blood pressure go up a bit until i stopped the cortisol).

I asked my doctor why my adrenals were now standing up on their own. He said vitamin D helps your adrenal function and my once low Vit D was now up to 126. A lot of other things have improved too which probably helps everything else eg: my ferretin is up nice and high now but still have to take supplements or it will drop (long term low ferritin can affect the thyroid too), i was low in iodine and i'm supplementing that too.

So, yeah, i can fully understand where everyone is coming from. Get your adrenals tested if you haven't. The best test is the saliva test where you give a number of saliva samples from early morning till late at night so they see what your adrenals are doing during that entire period.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

I actually did have a saliva test done by my chiropractor and my cortisol levels were way too high in the morning and went up again at night. I can't take steroids, but did try some herbal mix. After a week it broke my face out (it had some flower in it and I'm very sensitive to flowers). I found a few others online (Holy Basil and some mushroom), and emailed them to my chiro. I'll see what he says. I'm sure my adrenals are causing a lot of the problem, but my thyroid is also still out of whack. I also have Hashimoto's, so it's just an ongoing war back and forth. My blood sugar is also a mess. If I eat any amount of carbs now, my blood sugar goes way up and I feel nauseous.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #13
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi tigger - If you can't take steriod type cortisol supplements, can't they give you a bio-identical form of cortisol treatment like a Hydrocortisone (Cortef, Hydrocortone). When you take these in doses similar to what is required by the body and in pure form, prescription Hydrocortisones can be very effective. It doesn't have the potentially serious side effects of the more common Corticosteriods. If these are issued under strict supervision of a doctor it might work for you. If it's taken in big doses (usually more than 20mgs) it can cause suppression of the adrenal function, but this would be rare and if a doctor was not monitoring things correctly.

I keep reading of doctors prescribing Corticosteriods with mostly contain sythetic hormones which can be 17 times more plentiful than is required by the body. This can lead to suppression and even shut down the adrenal function.

This is why the Hydrocortisone is preferable. Also keep an eye on your Vit D and make sure it's up nice and high as it helps your adrenal function too.

I was on a cortisol supplement called Cortate but was only taking half of a 25mg tablet daily. My thyroid doctor only believes in natural or identical to what the body would make. So ask your doctor about a bio-identical form of Cortisol supplementation. Too high cortiso levels are as bad as too low. My heart really goes out to you and anybody else with adrenal issues as it's actually worse than the thyroid issues i've experienced.

Natural herbs 'might' be the way to go, but the adrenals aren't something to mess about with. You would have to have a naturopath you trust implicitly.

Now that i've got my adrenals sorted i feel as though i've been given a second chance at life. I know that sounds dramatic, but it was honestly hell to go through.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 AM   #14
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    I recall having chronic tiredness, felt like crawling under the desk and staying there, my head felt foggy and i felt as though i'd been hit by a bus. My eyes would be stinging, puffy and so sore as though they would burst.

I think this comes from running on empty, courtesy of the adrenals. Having too much or too little cortisol are the same and often give off thyroid-like symptoms. I began meds for my adrenals the same time as my thyroid and i know that the above symptoms all came from my adrenals and not my thyroid as after about a week on the cortisol supplements i was a changed person and all for the better. Thyroid meds take longer to kick in so i knew i wasn't feel much better in the space of a week just from thyroid meds.

I don't know how i got through those months at work. Even driving home was a hazzard and i had a car accident once as i had begun hellucinating at the traffic lights. My coordination was out and i'd confuse the lids off all the jars eg: sugar, coffee, milk lids etc etc. I think you get so tired that you just don't know what you are doing. At work i had to be so careful as my error rate had gone up. I didn't tell people at work much about what was going on. I'm sure the entire time was an Academy Award performance

Now i'm fine and it astounds me how good i feel. You could have knocked me over with a feather when my doctor told me i could stop taking the cortisol as my levels had improved and gone up a little too high (which did make me a bit dizzy, nausea and made my blood pressure go up a bit until i stopped the cortisol).

I asked my doctor why my adrenals were now standing up on their own. He said vitamin D helps your adrenal function and my once low Vit D was now up to 126. A lot of other things have improved too which probably helps everything else eg: my ferretin is up nice and high now but still have to take supplements or it will drop (long term low ferritin can affect the thyroid too), i was low in iodine and i'm supplementing that too.

So, yeah, i can fully understand where everyone is coming from. Get your adrenals tested if you haven't. The best test is the saliva test where you give a number of saliva samples from early morning till late at night so they see what your adrenals are doing during that entire period.
    I am grad that you have sucessful experience for treating adrenal and vitamin d deficiency. So you don't have to be put on HC or other adrenal meds any more?Sadly I haven't had my AF tested yet.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #15
    tigger67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger67 HB User

Since my endo doesn't know anything about adrenals other than Addisons or Cushings, I'm doing this all thru my chiropractor. Unfortunately he doesn't like to use chemical drugs, only natural treatments. I've found two other herbs I'm looking into right now (Holy Basil and Reishi Mushroom extract).

I take 1000ui of Vitamin D a day, so my levels should be fine.

Closed Thread