It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• They NEVER tested me for Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies!!! Help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
    ilovechocolate7
    (female)

ilovechocolate7 HB User
    They NEVER tested me for Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies!!! Help!!

In 2003 after I gave birth to our first baby, they diagnosed me with having hypothyroidism. I was given .75mcg of synthroid and have been on it ever since...

We have had two other children since then, however, I have always felt absolutely horrible. Extreme exhaustion, achy muscles, painful joints, floaters in eyes, sensitive skin, heart palpatations, headaches, shortness of breath, massive brain fog (among others). My bloodwork has always been "normal" and they have kept my synthroid at the same level since 1993.

I couldn't stand it anymore. Dr.s would tell me that I was depressed or had anxiety. I knew they were wrong, no one would listen to me. I finally changed docs this year and he found my liver panel was high. Sent me for some tests and all came back fine. Then he decided to send me toa Rheumatologist. After extensisve blood tests she informed me that my Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies were high (629!!....supposed to be below 35!)
    She said, "I know what is wrong with you...you have Fibromyalgia." She proceeded to tell me that my TPO was completely normal. I however, thought she was smoking crack!!

I called her one week after my first initial visit complaining of difficulties swallowing. She ordered a sono of the thyroid. Basically, it is not normal...I have lots of nodules, one of which is solid. She said I DON'T have Hashimotos???

I have since ordered copies of all tests done and records. i am on the waiting list to see an endocrinologist (could take 2 months!). We have extensive family history of goiters, thyroid disease and thyroid cancer.

Basically, why is my thyroid bloodwork fine when the TPO is off?? Can I take anything for these horrible symptoms I am having (above?) can they fix the TPO level? Should I allow a biopsy...what if it is cancer and it spreads? Should I just beg to have my complete thyroid removed since i am having troubles swallowing? What would you do?

I apologize...I feel so completely alone...this waiting is killing me!

What should I expect? I appreciate any and all comments!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User
    Re: They NEVER tested me for Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies!!! Help!!

Your blood tests are NOT fine..
    You're doing the right thing in going to an endo..
    You've been blessed with crappy doctors so far!! sorry!
    They should do a full thryoid panel test

Old 05-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: They NEVER tested me for Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies!!! Help!!

The TPO antibodies aren't causing you any symptoms in and of themselves. They are a sign of Hashimoto's disease - the reason your thyroid quit working long ago. You no doubt had them then. As of now, they have little significance unless you plan to have more children.

Given your symptoms, I'd say the dose of Synthroid you're taking is too low. You want an MD to pay attention to your free T4 and free T3 levels, not solely your TSH. I'd bet TSH is all your MD ever has watched for the time you've been treated. You may also need supplemental T3, which Synthroid does not contain.

Warning... You can't be 100% positive that an endo will give you the answers you need. He/she may also be a TSH-watcher and may very well never prescribe T3. Such a doc is not what you need now. So... Go see one, but if you don't get satisfaction in the form of free T tests, move on to someone more thyroid-knowledgeable.

Last edited by midwest1; 05-26-2009 at 01:50 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bloodwork, hashimotos, hypothyroid, nodules, tpo