It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Menstrual cycles after a total thyroidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
    open_the_door
    (female)

open_the_door HB User
    Menstrual cycles after a total thyroidectomy

Ladies,

Have your menstrual cycles changed since a total thyroidectomy and since taking synthetic horomones ie...synthroid???? My periods have lasted longer, bled more, and they are every 23-24 days. I'm waiting for my period today, but no sign of life. I had bad cramps about 10-12 days ago coming from my left ovary. I'm 40 years old, and I don't think that I'm going through menopause eventhough I know I'm approaching that age.....Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
    loralei
    (female)

loralei HB User
    Re: Menstrual cycles after a total thyroidectomy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by open_the_door View Post
    Ladies,

Have your menstrual cycles changed since a total thyroidectomy and since taking synthetic horomones ie...synthroid???? My periods have lasted longer, bled more, and they are every 23-24 days. I'm waiting for my period today, but no sign of life. I had bad cramps about 10-12 days ago coming from my left ovary. I'm 40 years old, and I don't think that I'm going through menopause eventhough I know I'm approaching that age.....Thanks
    My period was totally absent for like 2.5 months after surgery. When I finally got it, it was light, weird, and lasted for like 2 weeks straight. From what I understand, this irregularity is not uncommon. You just need to give your body time to adjust to your new medication. Definitely call your doctor if you are concerned or in pain! I honestly think that endos and most physicians are not very forthcoming with the truth about thyroidectomies. It's MAJOR surgery and your body is going to be confused as hell for a while. Everyone will react differently.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
    emmymm
    (female)

emmymm HB User
    Re: Menstrual cycles after a total thyroidectomy

I had my TT 3 years ago at 42. Yes it messed up my cycles for a while. They did normalize. But when I need to go hypo for a WBS they get really screwed up. I needed another dose of RAI a year ago April, so I had to go off the meds to get hypo. Well it took my body 8 months to finally get back into a regular cycle. I would'nt come at all, or it would show up unexpectedly and last either too long or to short! Crazy. I'm all like clock work again tho.

Closed Thread