HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Gluten Free Diet and Hashi's: did it work for you? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/700568-gluten-free-diet-hashis-did-work-you.html)

Oppida 06-25-2009 08:13 PM

Gluten Free Diet and Hashi's: did it work for you?

I have Hashi's and I'm willing to bet that I am gluten intolerant- my mom, both aunts, cousin and brother are. I'm trying to get my doc to approve a blood test for me, just to make sure. I'm not giving up bread for no reason!!! :lol:

Anyone have success in a gluten free diet? How has helped? How much did it help in terms of symptoms? I'd love to know your experience...

Thanks!
:)

dream77 06-26-2009 10:26 AM

Re: Gluten Free Diet and Hashi's: did it work for you?

what's your symptom list :
I am embarking on my second trial of gluten free for a variety of issues

Terrible neuropathy.
Hashi of course.
Now I am feeling wozzy after meals.
Severe bouts of horrible fatigue.

herekittykitty 06-26-2009 01:34 PM

I went gluten free for about 4 months. There was no change in anything, for the better or worse. I started back on gluten, and there was no change for the better or worse. So, I don't think gluten is an issue for me. The gluten free diet is very restrictive and I would definately do it if I had to, but glad I don't have to! I have a niece that has Celiac and I really feel for her having to live with this diet forever.

Emily Aimee 06-26-2009 01:54 PM

I follow the gluten free diet. And I can't remember the correct medical terminology, but there is an established connection between having Celiac Disease as an underlying cause for several other autoimmune diseases, Hashi's being one of the more common ones. This was all documented in a New England Journal of Medicine article back around 2000 as I recall. It was a very informative article on Celiac and it's suspected connection with other autoimmune diseases. Because it isn't an easy diet to follow, I'd suggest getting the anti-gliadin plus anti-endomesial antibody tests to see if you do have them. I actually don't have Celiac - although my two sisters and daughter have it and my mother and I have Hashi's. But my Dr., Joe Murray at Mayo strongly suggested I follow the GF diet because it might head off further autoimmune diseases that are sensitive to nutrient imbalances -- like diabetes (Type I). Like I said, I've followed it and feel so much better on it that I'd never cheat or consider going off.

The GF diet is restrictive and quite a challenge at first, but honestly, having been on it for about 18 years now, it's actually not really that big a deal once you get used to it. You'd be amazed how much is available to make life easier these days.

dannysmom 06-26-2009 08:01 PM

I have been gluten free, dairy free, egg free and chicken free for a little over two months now and have not seen any improvements. I don't know if I have Celiac--all of those foods came back on a food sensitivity test.

KylieZofar 06-27-2009 10:22 PM

Hi there,

I have a few auto immune diseases (PA, Thyroid, Vitiligo) & have been on a gluten free diet for a number of years & feel so much better for it. If I do have gluten feel really agitated & feel like my insides are almost itchy (hard to explain sensation) & I get diarrhea. The only way to alleviate the feeling is to eat!! Hence why I avoid it! Otherwise I might triple in size too! I have been tested for Coeliac but the results are inconclusive due to my gluten free diet. Gluten free diet definately suits me.

Oleander53 06-28-2009 03:07 PM

Glad I found this conversation. I have had Hashi's for about 3 years now. Long story short I got stung by a Buck Moth Catapillar in Louisiana 4/06 and had a severe allergic reaction to it. After that I developed a multitude of health problems that I am just now relating to the allergic reaction. The Hashi's and nodules appeared 3 months after the reaction.

I also developed stomach problems around the same time. Trouble with food going down and intestinal problems that were very unpredictable. I found out last year that I am allergic to Milk by a RAST blood test. I had no idea I was allergic to milk so I have been 99% Milk free now for about 1 year. It is not easy because there is so much hidden milk in so many foods. Even if it says Dairy free it is not completely dairy free. Casien, Lactate and lactose, and Whey in many foods.
Synthroid and Thyrolar have a Lactose base so I cannot take either one. The stomach problems never went away after I stopped dairy. Improved but still there. I know I have issues with milk and an additive called Carageenan.

So I have been treated for Hashi's, hypothyroidism and multinodular goiter for 3 years now. I also have Insulin resistance and several types of skin cancers.
I started on a Raw food diet 2 weeks ago for health reasons and I am so shocked to find my stomach issues are all gone. Not one episode of lower tract problems and no indigestion at all.....Not one episode of diarrhea. Even with all the fruits and veggies....My intestines are great !!!!! I am so happy.

So what I am trying to say is this Dietician who is helping me says......maybe you have had a gluten issue all along and did not know it??????????? GLUTEN?

I keep seeing a connection between gluten and thyroid.....I guess I have to look into this now. I feel so good on this raw diet. I have not had a piece of bread in 2 weeks....Only fruits , veggies, smoothies with non gluten protien powders...many nuts and avocados. Almond milk which is gluten free.

Soooooo I guess I need to the test to see if I have it. I will go ahead and stay gluten free. I feel so much better.

Oleander

dream77 06-29-2009 08:34 AM

Wow!!
I feel like it is no coincidence that the thyroid fir me is acting up and all this neuropathic pain (I've concldued it is neuropathic because of a lack of visible inflammation)

My symptoms fit either
Small cell neuropathy
Scleroderma..

I definitely have VERY positve anti-gliadin antobodies and a negative endomysial test (xcuse the spelling)
I quit wheat 100% since Saturday.
I can't stand the pain and brining and the bruning daggers and now the definite heart involvement with the drop in blood pressure.
I do sincerely hope it is reversible and I am not in some kind of bone marrow cancer mess (that is another reason for small cell neurpathy)
I am not going to more docs till I can avoid going to them.
I am truly fed up but want to give the wheat abstinence a really good shot.. I cannot stand feeling unwell all the time.. but the low blood pressure thing needs to resolve else I am in trouble

Emily Aimee 06-29-2009 01:50 PM

Oleander, I just want to follow up on one thing you wrote -- the longer you are on a gluten free diet, the less likely you will have a positive result if an antibody test to Celiac is done. The reason simply being because you will have no gluten antibodies to test. Prior to setting up the test with a GI Doc, you'll need to go through what they call a "gluten challenge" which is eating alot of gluten for about 5 months and then having the test done. Obviously there are pros and cons to making yourself that sick - about the only pro might be having an established medical diagnosis!

Also, do take care on a raw foods diet -- there is plenty of evidence that alot of body types cannot sustain that for a long period of time. Cooked veggies also offer alot of good micronutrients and are easier for many bodies to digest.

Take best care!

Oleander53 06-29-2009 04:54 PM

Thank you so much for letting me know about the testing. I feel so good now I would be afraid to go back to eating bread and such. No way just to get a test result. I do not plan on being on the raw diet forever but I am under the care of a Dietician while on it so she is directing me so I will get enough fats and protiens.. I have really learned alot while on it. It has been easier than I thought it would be. My plan was to do 30 days on it to get my lipids and blood pressure down. I am on 16. SO far so good. Oleander

Calore 06-30-2009 05:41 AM

I thought I would try to cut down on gluten. Wow, what a challenge. I spend hours in the supermarket reading labels and end up unsucessfully really. I am reducing my gluten only because I read alot of folks here feel better for it.
Can't hurt...right?

herekittykitty 06-30-2009 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=Calore;4025463]I thought I would try to cut down on gluten. Wow, what a challenge. I spend hours in the supermarket reading labels and end up unsucessfully really. I am reducing my gluten only because I read alot of folks here feel better for it.
Can't hurt...right?[/QUOTE]

Hi Calore,

I think just cutting down on gluten will not do the trick. I think it is an all or nothing type thing, with no gluten to be consumed whatsoever. For instance, the reason you can't have oats on a gluten free diet is not because oats have gluten, but because most oats are processed in the same plant or grown near fields that wheat is grown in. That's how careful you have to be on this diet. You are even supposed to have a gluten free area in your kitchen where you prepare the gluten free things, away from the areas that you prepare the gluten foods to avoid cross contamination. You can't use a knife to spread butter on toast and dip the knife back in the butter. The butter will be contaminated with gluten.

AlexaIn2006 06-30-2009 05:43 PM

Wow, I never realized how careful you should be with this diet. Since I have two autoimmune diseases, I worry about developing celiac in the future, I hope I never do.

Emily Aimee 06-30-2009 06:41 PM

Can I just second what wittykitty wrote -- in that cutting down may bring some symptom relief but it isn't going to do the trick. Supermarket labeling is very hard and I confess to crying out of sheer frustration when I first realized all I couldn't eat. But Whole Foods Stores have a fantastic selection and their own gluten free bakery that supplies things to each of their stores freezer sections (ask for it). Although, over the long haul, I have found eating a whole foods diet to support my own health the best, using gluten free grains for bread and pasta. And there are various listserves - notably a St. John's Listserve - that has been around for about 15 years and their archives are both trustworthy and superb.

Alexa - if you read the New England Journal article, I think part of the message is that following the GF diet just might head off some of the other associated diseases. I don't know the entire process, but I do know that undiagnosed Celiac disrupts the ability of the duodenum (small intestine) to accurately absorb nutrients. Those subtle nutrient deficiencies, over time, inhibit other organs, and the body in general's, ability to stay balanced.

dream77 07-01-2009 07:16 AM

Actually, I have a feeling the nutrient absorption is spot on for the obvious, lab provoen celiacs.. but for me .. all the tests show good amounts of vitamins (except ferritin but haemoglobin and serum iron is very good) and I think I fit in the grey area cleiacs.. because of the negative endo-m test but positive antigliadin test... + maybe a (coincidence) of nerve damage..
there is something more in play besides absorption of nutrients..