It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• hypothyroid symptoms? No insurance, another newbie

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
    joanjoan
    (female)

joanjoan HB User
    hypothyroid symptoms? No insurance, another newbie

Hi, I'm new the this forum after searching around the internet on hyperthyroidism. I don't have insurance and want to make sure i REALLY need a doc's visit before I go in--

I'm suspecting hyperthyroidism, here are my symptoms--

--depression (on and off, some episodes since I was 11)
    --waking up soaking with sweat at night (happens for a couple days at a time, but only once every few months or so)
    --anxious, irritable, tired all the time
    --difficulty sleeping for YEARS, recently having trouble falling asleep, waking up two or three times, very light sleep with bad dreams
    --skipped period for the first time in my life two months ago, sometimes heavy and lasts more than 7 days
    --lost 8 lbs in the last few months

But I'm also wondering if I just have DEPRESSION, which is causing the hyperthyroid symptoms, or hyperthyroidism which is causing the depression, or soemthing else??

They seem to fit hyperthyroidism... but they're on and off episodes... is that supposed to happen or if you get hyperthyroidism they're supposed to be continuous intense symptoms that don't go away sometimes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
    joanjoan
    (female)

joanjoan HB User
    Re: hypothyroid symptoms? No insurance, another newbie

oh also forgot to add

sometimes when I'm just lying down or resting my heart will start pounding--not really fast but like hitting really hard

I also have eczema, acne, headaches, ear infection... so sometimes i think all of this is just bad health 0_0

if anyone who's had hyperthyroidism sees a lot of similarities and thinks this is urgent enough to go in for a check, please let me know. Thanks

Old 06-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
    mustlovecats
    (female)

mustlovecats HB User

You should get yourself health insurance asap and go to the doctor to get a few blood tests and just peace of mind.
    best of luck to you!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
    SwissKristina
    (female)

SwissKristina HB User

Hi,
    You posted your concern a/b hypothyroidism but then mentioned concern a/b hyperthyroidism. Did you recently give birth? I ask this b/c hyperthyroidism can occur after a woman gives birth and then hypothyroidism ensues-it's called postpartum thyroiditis or something. It's rare but can occur. RE: hyperthyroidism-do you have bugged-out eyes? I mean do they protrude out? That's a sign of Grave's disease-an autoimmune disease and associated w/ hyperthyroidism. I don't think that it is necessarily genetic but I believe hypothyroidism is. Menopause, I think, can also lead to Grave's disease. Hypothyroidism would be autosomal recessive (autosomal is any chromosome that is not a sex chromosome- chrom 21-and recessive means you must get it from both parents-the trait ONLY occurs if there is no dominant gene.) Does anyone in your family have hypothyroidism? If you are concerned w/ hypothyroidism you may simply be deficient in iodine. Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) is a symptom of hyperthyroidism...among many other symptoms you mentioned. Stress can also lead to all of your symptoms which often results in depression. However that seems unlikely. It's easy for everyone to just say, "get insurance!" however it's so very expensive! especially these days. What you are experiencing sounds more like hyperthyroidism-but it could be many things-and I'm not a doctor! (I was going to be one but my chronic migraines prevented me from going to med school-I have a B.S. in biology. BS is certainly fitting as it's pretty useless however I suppose, after writing this and remembering quite a bit, I must have learned a thing or two at UCLA. ;-) ) Seriously though, I suggest that you at least get your TSH tested-you can probably do so somewhere free or inexpensive. (TSH=thyroid stimulating hormone) Other titers of antibodies should be tested as well as you may be suffering from an autoimmune disease. (a titer is the concentration of something in your blood, usually the conc. of anti-bodies. Serological tests are not very expensive, I don't think-I wasn't paid much when I performed these tests! lol. They are well worth the money as they will uncover any autoimmune diseases but a full chem panel would be in your best interest-honestly I believe you can get that done at any free clinic) If all is well w/ your TSH I would then really consider seeing a doctor-your symptoms would be a result of something else. Although if your TSH level is abnormal you would also need to see a doc. I would start there- a chem. panel or at the very least test your TSH . You could probably get all the preliminary tests, doctor visits, etc. done at a free clinic. It's highly unethical but you could donate blood too as I believe they test for just about anything-not sure though. However I am NOT CONDONING THIS OR SUGGESTING IT! I do however feel for you as I suffer from migraines and I thank Jesus that I am lucky enough to have insurance. (still, donating blood for the sole purpose of a chem panel-ummm, I don't suggest it but the thought did cross my mind.)
    I wish you the very best. Please don't hesitate to contact me anytime.
    Kristina

Old 06-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

There are lab testing companies online where you can order your own labs. They tend to be a lot less expensive than paying out of pocket through a doctor's office. The rules here do not allow me to post names but you may pm me if you are interested.

Take some time to read other posts on this board about recommended tests and how to interpret them. You can post your results here too for some input.

Good luck!

Last edited by javelina; 06-29-2009 at 07:39 AM.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Your symptoms, like those of thyroid problems are really vague---they could be from a variety of conditions, and too difficult to diagnose without blood work.

I think it would be a waste of money to decide, based upon symptoms, that you have a thyroid problem and spend it on tests not requested by a doctor---because even if there were a problem, you wouldn't be able to self medicate or treat it, and you'd need a doctor anyway---and they would want to retest and it would cost you double. Also, certain states, don't allow self blood testing any way.

I would look for a free or low cost clinic sometimes there are "health fairs" where you can get some free medical screenings connected with hospitals, call around, search on line, there must be some way to get a regular check up and basic blood work done. Good luck, I hope you get some relief soon.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
    imtupp
    (female)

imtupp HB User

Salivary testing is what I would recommend, just did it myself and learned insufficient adrenal output can mimic hyperthyroid.

I started Adrenal suppliments not even 2 wks ago, and 4 days ago, a new doc switched me to Thyroid 30 x3 from Synthroid .088. I have to admit, I feel somewhat better already.

Today I pick up Progesterone creme and Corfef 2.5 x 4, and start them. Hope things continue to progress. All of the things you are expiriencing, I was too and more. Adrenal Fatigue is what I was told I was expiriencing, hence the conversion issues with thyroid meds.

Do some research on the "tripod of wellness", this includes; thyroid, adrenal, and sex hormones. They all work hand in hand and when one of them is out of wack, it messes them all up.

good luck,
    tup

Closed Thread