It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• I got my lab results...advice please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
    jayer
    Inactive
    (female)

jayer HB User
    I got my lab results...advice please

Here are my lab results....advice please. I don't know if it matters but when I took this test...I hadn't slept the night before with lots of heart racing.

TSH 3.880 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL
    Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S 1.34 0.61-1.76 ng/dL
    Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 435 HIGH 0-34 IU/mL
    Antithyroglobulin Ab <20 0-40 IU/mL
    Triiodothyronine,Free 2.4 2.3-4.2 pg/mL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: I got my lab results...advice please

Your TSH is a bit high indicating hypothyroidism, your FT4 seems fine, your FT3 is low (your staying up all night may have had some effect on these results - you're supposed to sleep properly in order to have accurate results - sleep deprivation will make at least your TSH levels look more "normal"). Your TPO antibodies are so high that you definately have Hashimoto's thyroiditis so you'll be needing thyroid meds sooner or later. Have you had these labs taken before? If your doc is yet not convinced you should have your labs (TSH, FT4 and FT3) taken again in the near future after a good night's sleep I have had trouble with my heart caused by low FT3 - it's not just the opposite that does that.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 06-30-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
    jayer
    Inactive
    (female)

jayer HB User

I am on meds....its a long story but yes I am on synthroid and have been for about 1 year, my symptoms didn't start until doctor upped my dose from 50 mcg daily...then all hell broke loose!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

I have read some of your posts but already forgot you were already on meds... You would probably benefit from a T3 supplement. If you're experiencing symtoms caused by too high FT4 that way you could cut back on your T4 dose a bit, add some T3 to make your FT3 rise - that could make you feel more balanced. Or maybe you're a bit sensitive to Synthroid and would do better on Armour

Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
    jayer
    Inactive
    (female)

jayer HB User

That is what I am pretty sure I need, it is just a matter of waiting to see the doctor....2 1/2 weeks...but I am cutting back on the T4 for now.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It's a sensible idea to just fall back to the previous dose until you can have a long talk with the doc and decide what to do next.

What precipitated the change in dose in the first place? Did you complain of symptoms that the doc thought could be alleviated by it? Or were you feeling pretty good with the daily 50 mcgs?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
    jayer
    Inactive
    (female)

jayer HB User

I was feeling good or at least no noticeable change on 50 mcg. The only symptom I remember was I was cold alot and had a hard time warming up.

But after one of my 3 month blood tests she called me and said to raise the dose, I was surprised because I didn't feel any different (apparantely my TSH went from 2.22 to 4.84 during those 3 months). But didn't think anything of it.

I know you say you can't feel a thing the day you take the pill, but I swear the first 2 days I tood the 100 mcg, I felt the weakness or muscle twitching feeling in my stomach.

Also you say it takes 4-6 weeks to take effect, my bad symptoms started about 7 weeks after I started the new dose, so I would say the new dose did this to me!!

She had only been testing TSH and FT4 and I just got a copy of all my labs for the last year, she never did an antibodies test. And I did my own over the weekend and it is VERY HIGH so it appears I have Hashimotos.

Last edited by jayer; 07-01-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
    jayer
    Inactive
    (female)

jayer HB User

It has been awhile since I last posted....6 weeks have gone by and I have been on 50 mcg of synthroid. I am pretty much back to my old self...except I get periods of unexplained anxiety or restlessness, and am not sleepy at night so I take valerian to help me sleep. I definately am not tired!!

I did take my saliva test and got the results. Here they are.

Estradiol (saliva) 1.1L pg/ml 1.3-3.3 Premenopausal (Luteal)
    Progesterone (saliva) 27L pg/ml 75-270 Premenopausal (Luteal)
    Ratio: Pg/E2 (saliva) 25L Optimal: 100-500 when E2 1.3-3.3 pg/ml
    Testosterone (saliva) 19 pg/ml 16-55 (Age Dependent)
    DHEAS (saliva) 5.8 ng/ml 2-23 (Age Dependent)
    Cortisol Morning (saliva) 9.1 ng/ml 3.7-9.5
    Cortisol Noon (saliva) 2.1 ng/ml 1.2-3.0
    Cortisol Evening (saliva) 1.6 ng/ml 0.6-1.9
    Cortisol Night (saliva) 0.3L ng/ml 0.4-1.0

Looks like everything is normal except cortisol is low at night and my female hormones are low. Any opinions about this??

Old 08-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I think your symptoms are indicitive of some adrenal fatigue and with the sub-range night cortisol levels that seems to fit.

For some on T4 meds the adrenals can get tired trying to keep up. Your dose of Synthroid is pretty small but you might still be stressing the adrenals even on that small a dose, or you might simply still be hypo, which also stresses them.

Finding a good doc who actually believes in it can be challenging though.

Have you tested your free T levels recently to see if how those are doing? As was mentioned before, you might do better with a T3/T4 med like Nature-throid and this might give your adrenals a rest. A good adrenal support suppliment might be all you need instead.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Closed Thread