It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroidectomy - any good stories?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
    jbo123
    (male)

jbo123 HB User
    Thyroidectomy - any good stories?

Dear All,

I am being pressured to have a total Thyroidectomy due to a Thyroid with nodules that is 5cm in size. I have read nothing but horror stories about total Thyroid removal and trying to get T medication balanced.

Has anybody had a good experience with total Thyroid removal?

The Drs. don't seem to want to treat anything. My T scores are OK but in the last few months I have had these lousy adrenaline pushes after midnight.

In the last year, I have had a divorce, lost my job among other pressures so it's no wonder my adrenals and Thyroid are shot!

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much...freaking out here a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Thyroidectomy - any good stories?

Okay, first, your doctors are right---that must come out. That "nodule" is a mass/tumor that is larger than some thyroids---both lobes!!! It's not likely that it's cancerous now, but it is likely, in a tumor that size, that the cells will mutate over time, and then you would have something more serious to worry about.

I had my thyroid out for cancer, 4.5 years ago, and I'm fine. It did take quite a few months to get regulated, then to feel right on medication, but once I did, everything is fine. You might have to search for a good endo, or an ENT or an internist that you mesh well with to treat you, and it might take time, but you will get there.

With such a big growth, I hope you find a really great surgeon with tons of thyroid experience, because that is a challenging size. Good luck, and get that thing out!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
    Kim5
    (female)

Kim5 HB User

Dear JBO123,

Everyone has a different experience - I will share a bit of mine. Just had a total thyroidectomy 2 weeks ago due to cancer (half was removed back in April). I had a 1cm nodule that had grown to 3cm (over 3 years). Have been dealing with Hashimotos/HypoT for years.

So far so good - I am now waiting on my next Endo appt. to discuss the RAI treatment. After my half removal in April the Dr. put me on a compounded T3&T4 medicine that seemed to start working within 2 weeks - I was just starting to feel balanced out again. Now I am off meds until the next treatment plan & tests & all.

You mentioned the stresses you have had lately & I feel as though they can all contribute to our bodies getting out of whack.

Over the past year I experienced moving to a new state, changing jobs and most recently losing my Dad suddenly to a heart attack. I can totally relate to your stress!

Anyhow - when an organ/body part is not working at "optium level" it is not doing anything good for you. I felt the same way 3 years ago - afraid to part with a vital body part, however there was a 50/50 chance it could be serious.

With that, please don't put anymore pressure on yourself than needed. It's a fairly easy operation - quick recovery time & in a few mos. you can be back on track to feeling good again.

I wish you the best!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
    jbo123
    (male)

jbo123 HB User

Thanks for all your replies. It's very confusing and a difficult decision to make. All I know is that it appears to be getting larger as I can feel it when I swallow and these night flashes of adrenaline are driving me crazy. I feel like I'm losing it sometimes.
    Thanks for being there...

Last edited by moderator2; 07-03-2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
    REE77
    (female)

REE77 HB User

I had a thyroidectomy in Dec 08 and it turned out to be cancer. I was petrified and this board helped me through the rough times. I had RAI and after a few months of finding the right dose of meds I am happy to report I feel great. I do however have another issue I am dealing with ( a parotid tumor) and am having surgery July 9th so I am kind of bummed that I finally felt good after the thyroid surgery and will be dealing with another but thats life. For all that feel as if they will never feel better again there is hope, hang in there.
    Ree

Old 07-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
    inski
    (female)

inski HB User

Have they biopsied or scanned your thyroid? Why do they need to take out the WHOLE thing, what about just the side the large nodule is on? Do you have other large nodules? I just went through this and a week ago had a right thyroid lobectomy due to a 3cm nodule, that lobe of my thyroid was almost 5cm. I have other small nodules on the other side but my Dr would not take that side out unless there was evidence of cancer. He didn't want me to have to rely on meds or possible damage vocal cords unnecessarily. Down the road I could end up having to go back in to have the other side removed?? He says statistically thyroid issues are slow progressing, years.

Interesting you should mention dealing w/ dificult life changes. Over the past two years we moved across county. Then we had a very difficult time adjusting financially and employment wise. I spent the most of that two years so completely aggrivated and angry, my dh thought I had a hormone imbalance. My point to this is that I've heard more than once that people have had thyroid issues after stressful life situations. After being faced w/ the possibility of thyroid cancer, put a lot of things into perspective for me. And I vowed to just not allow myself to get so stressed, angry, and negative....it's just not worth it.

Keep us posted..

Last edited by inski; 07-01-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Closed Thread