It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Self medicating with 800 mcgs of levothyroxine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Self medicating with 800 mcgs of levothyroxine

You read right I read about this person (not sure about the gender) telling about self medication with 800 mcgs of levothyroxine without HypoT but still being "alive and kicking". The person has night sweats but no shaking or sweaty palms - some diarrhea - increased activity causes discomfort in the chest - the resting heart rate is 90-100 but tells this is normal for him/her (has some congenital heart issue ).

With that amount of levothyroxine you would think he/she would soon kick the bucket but what puzzles him/her is why there isn't more serious signs. This person tells us there were more HyperT symptoms on 200 mcgs. He/she took 1,3 mgs this morning and just has some shakiness.

Any ideas besides "what the f*** is this person thinking"

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-05-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Self medicating with 800 mcgs of levothyroxine

My first question is "why"? If he/she isn't hypo, why? Because they like feeling ramped up all the time? Because they like flirting with the danger of excess T hormones and known heart disease? Because they're flat out looney?

I don't know... there are other members who could explain it with certainty. Just my guess that the body is able to build up a certain tolerance for excess hormone. I think it was Helen (accessn12) who posted that accidental overdosing - such as children who eat a whole bottle of levo - often produces only minor, fleeting effects from it.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Didn't tell - just wondered why this seems to be so What came to my mind - since there must be some effect on his/her other endocrine system - is maybe it's been converted more to rT3 to protect the body

This self medication thing is quite new to me - traditionally doctors are considered to be "second to God" over here and people are keen to diminish their problems (and especially men are very stubborn not to see a doctor at all no matter what...) And now I read about these people self medicating - like this girl with a BMI of 17,7 taking levothyroxine to lose weight

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-05-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I gather that people think that t4 is a weight loss drug, but it can totally backfire, as too much t4 can increase appetite, and cause weight gain.

In terms of symptoms, there are so many people walking around with very high tsh and not knowing it, I'm sure there is the opposite too---not many people are very in touch with symptoms in their bodies, but I would worry that the person on 800mcgs would have a stroke or heart attack one day, and no one would realize why.

Closed Thread