It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Vitamins and Supplements for Hypothyroid.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
    cls01
    (female)

cls01 HB User
    Question Vitamins and Supplements for Hypothyroid.

I have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroid) and have all the symptoms even when taking medication and I was wondering if there is any vitamins or supplements I could take to help with the symptoms like being tired all the time, weight gain, cold hands and feet. I know I seen on a website that they have some sort of thyroid hormone pill for weight loss and was wondering about that? Has anyone tried it, does it work and is it safe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: Vitamins and Supplements for Hypothyroid.

Better yet, why are you not getting adequate treatment for your hypothyroidism? You should be symptom-free if you are being treated correctly. I'm guessing your Doc uses TSH only as a guide to how much hormone to give you.

* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator * Then make sure you are getting the correct blood work done to verify your hormone levels are adequate and find a doctor who is willing to raise your medication to a level where you are symptom-free.

Regarding vitamins, have you been checked for any deficiencies? Hypothyroid people often are deficient in Vitamins D, B12, and in Ferritin, selinium, magnesium, etc. Get a good set of labs to check for these. A good multi will cover most bases and you will read a zillion different opinions on what suppliment is best but if you are really deficient you need to suppliment accordingly. I found I was low in D and B12 and am now taking 6000 iu of D3 a day and 2000mcg of B12. I also take other B vitamins and try to stick to a healthy diet.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites and products as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Vitamins and Supplements for Hypothyroid.

I wouldn't be using any "thyroid pills" sold over the net as a magical cure for all the symptoms you are having. You are best to find out what is causing what and when it comes to thyroids there are a lot of things causing the symptoms.

Firstly, as mcaimless said, if your thyroid meds are not the right dosage then you wont be getting much benefit.

If your doctor is only going by your TSH and not by the entire thyroid panel eg; FT3, FT4, thyroid antibodies and if you want to stretch the friendship with your doctor ask for a Reverse T3 also.

Prior to thyroid medicating, doctors ought to be checking your cortisol levels to see your your adrenals are functioning. A lot of the time the major tiredness comes from insufficient or too much of the hormone cortisol. Symptoms of this condition are very much like thyroid symptoms so most people and doctors simply look at the thyroid and not the adrenal function.

It's good to have all your other hormones eg: estrogen, progesterone and testosterone evaluated as these can often be too low or high with thyroid conditions. Often they can self correct with correct thyroid treatment as well as adrenal treatment as both these go hand in hand.

As mcaimless said, get your vitamins/minerals tested, particularly Ferritin (iron stores), B12, Vitamin D. Adequate levels of Vit D in your system also help your adrenal function and adequate ferritin is beneficial for the thyroid too.

So you see, it's not a matter of popping a magical pill that someone on the net is pushing. You need to do things the right way and one by one the symptoms will resolve themselves. Does help to have a good doctor too. Good luck

Closed Thread