It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 2x3cm benign nodule so why remove it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
    turtle42
    (female)

turtle42 HB User
    2x3cm benign nodule so why remove it?

I have been dealing with nodule for alittle over a year. I have had 2 biopsies and both were benign. It has grown alittle this year and now the endo has recommended removing it. Will I need thyroid meds if they only remove half of my thyroid? Has anyone else chosen to have a nodule removed that was benign? It seems like a scarry operation and if it isnt needed then why do it? Will the nodule keep growing? Sorry about all the questions but I dont know what to do.
    J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: 2x3cm benign nodule so why remove it?

Your doctor has been watching this for a while, so I wouldn't say this is an erratic decision. You should talk to some ENT's and get their opinions.

If by "biopsies" you mean FNA/fine needle aspiration, then you should understand that the needle only draws a sample of cells, just because those cells are benign, doesn't mean the rest of the nodule is. It is only a diagnostic tool, but the only way to really know, is to remove the entire nodule.

Also, if it's growing, it is a red flag as well, even benign cells in a tumor can mutate. Keep in mind, even though the likelihood is that this is benign, a "nodule" is a much nicer word for tumor. If you had a tumor on your pinky, the same size as your pinky, you might consider removing that, even if you suspected it was likely benign.

Your nodule is growing, and 3cm is very close to the size of the average thyroid lobe, which is about 3-4 cm.

Anyone here who's discovered thyroid cancer, like me, would say when in doubt, get it out especially if there are changes. Many people can go without thyroid meds once a lobe is removed, some people do need meds.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
    clarabells (05-06-2011)
    Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
    turtle42
    (female)

turtle42 HB User

Thanks for the response. It has only grown about a half a centimeter in 11 months. The biopsy was a fna but they said that I didn't have to worry about it being malignant. There were some follicular cells present but the dr told me there was nothing to worry about.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
    gldlks
    (female)

gldlks HB User

I had a bigger benign nodule, totally cystic (filled with fluid) that my doctor was watching, biopsying, etc. for years. Last Oct or so it started to grow, so much so that it started to choke me. It was so big that it was pushing on my trachea, I had the right lobe of my thyroid removed in Feb. The pathology came back as benign. My thyroid levels stayed normal all through this, but at my last bloodtest my TSH was high (for the first time), so I was just started on Levothyroxin.

If it's growing, keep an eye on it... I sort of let mine go until it was really bad, not the best thing to do.

Good luck!

Closed Thread