It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid biopsy results are in.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
    mtm1215
    (female)

mtm1215 HB User
    Thyroid biopsy results are in.

Can someone help me with my thyroid biopsy report??

What are rare Blood and follicular cells??

The Surgeon just blew it off as the biopsy is fine and to come back in 8 months. I'm not to happy with that, I think the FNA should be redone soon, not 8 months

Anyone been through this have any thoughts??

Thanks in advance..........

'1: Diagnosis
    Right Thyroid: FNA: DEFERRED. NO DIAGNOSTIC CEllS
    IDENTIFIED.

SEE COMMENT.
    Microscopic Description: The cytoconcentrate smears are devoid of
    any follicular cells. macrophages or appreciable colloid. The cell bliock
    sections are also acellular.

2: Diagnosis
    Left Thyroid: FNA: NO MAUGNANT CELLS IDENTIFIED. Limited
    CELLULARiTY.

SEE COMMENT.

Microscopic Description: The cytoconcernrate smears are sparsely cellular.
    Blood and rare uniform follicular cells are seen. No cystic changes are seen. The cell block sections are acellular.

Comments

Specimen #1: This thyroid nodule did not yield any diagnostic material. Suggest repeat FNA if clinically indicated.

Specimen #2: Suggest clinicaL/radiological correlation. If there is suspicion of a neoplasm. suggest repeat FNA for a more cellular sample.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Thyroid biopsy results are in.

I don't know how to read those things so well, but it seems to me that the doctor did not draw enough cells to get a good sample or read, and that they need to be repeated?

If your surgeon is qualified, then you can trust/him her, or you can try to see another surgeon who has a great deal of thyroid experience, and perhaps have a radiologist with an ultrasound guided system do the next sample.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
    mtm1215
    (female)

mtm1215 HB User

I was told the surgeon was highly quilified. He did and ultrasound guided FNA.
    When the results came in, He said he thought he did a good job but said obviously he didn't and told me to come back in 8 months

I am seeing a new Endo in July 28th so maybe he will think differently.

I have 2 nodules, one on each side that is over 1 cm. I've been on synthroid since June 08. and the nodules grew between ultrasounds which is why my DR said to get a FNA done.

I never heard of Rare follicular cells and was curious what that meant.

Thanks for your reply

Old 07-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
    mustlovecats
    (female)

mustlovecats HB User

I had a report saying suspicion of follicular neoplasm, I had to get surgery because they said in cases of follicular cells they don't know for sure until they open up, the final pathology report from surgery came back as chronic thyroiditis and no malignancy or neoplasm but because they suggested surgery to be sure I went along with it.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
    mtm1215
    (female)

mtm1215 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mustlovecats View Post
    I had a report saying suspicion of follicular neoplasm, I had to get surgery because they said in cases of follicular cells they don't know for sure until they open up, the final pathology report from surgery came back as chronic thyroiditis and no malignancy or neoplasm but because they suggested surgery to be sure I went along with it.
    Thank you for your response. It gives me food for thought when I go to my Endo appointment on Tuesday.

Closed Thread