It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Somethings not right...low TSH, lower end FT4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
    ShayxJay
    (female)

ShayxJay HB User
    Somethings not right...low TSH, lower end FT4

I really need some opinions on this. I was dx about 2 years ago with graves disease, but I never really believed it. I never had the "classic" symptoms high blood pressure, heat intolorance and so one. But I am no doctor, so I went on a very low dose of Methemazole for about 18 months. I finally stopped the meds and went into remission about 5 months ago. I was feeling fine until recently, my symptoms seam to all be emotional , nervousness, agitated and strange memory loss. Physically I feel fine, a little tired, some hair loss, low bp and feeling cold. I feel like im mentally hyper and physically hypo, does that even make sense? So I go to see my regular doc and she tells me I have an anxiety disorder! She gave me paxal and oxazepam! I insisted that she run blood work for some kind of hormone problem, she went on to tell me that I was to young for menopause (28) and my bp was low so it wasent my graves disease. Seriously! are those the only hormones there are! I finally got her to run tsh and ft4 and here it is....

7-15-09
    TSH- .28 (.4-4.0) tsh is low
    FT4- .89 (.7-1.48) ft4 seem kinda low to me, for having a low tsh, but what does that mean?
    Sorry so long

Last edited by ShayxJay; 07-19-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: Somethings not right...low TSH, lower end FT4

Your FT4 is very low, you may be hypothyroid--many of your symptoms are hypo too. Have you ever had hashimoto's antibodies drawn? Some people have both Graves and Hashi's. And what exactly did they base your Graves disease diagnosis on?

See if you can get the TPO and TG antibody tests done as well as the Graves antibodies if this hasn't been done already. Also a free T3 and have them check your vitamin D and B12 and Ferritin.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
    sparkie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sparkie HB User

I have had a similar scenario. When my TSH is high, so is my FT3 and FT4, when TSH drops to an optimal level, FT3 and FT4 also drop. If I was to go strictly by how I feel, I would go by FT3 and FT4. My doctor mentioned something about thyroid hormone resistance but made no recommendations.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
    ShayxJay
    (female)

ShayxJay HB User

Thank you both for your replies, when I was dx 2 years ago my allergist ran tsh, ft4 and TPOab, because of unexplained hives. Then I was referred to my endo, he did a radio active iodine uptake scan. Even though my TPOab were very high I was told that my scan showed graves. My endo said there was no reason to run any more antibody tests because I had the scan. Even though I have never had the heat intolerance or high BP, but always had the opposite. My regular doc and my allergist both thought I had Hashis thyroiditis, because of the high TPOab. So could I actually have both Hashis and Graves if the scan showed graves?
    What is the treatment if a person has both?

7-30-07
    tsh- .03 (.4-4.0)
    FT4- 1.5 (.7-1.48)
    TPOab- 1172 (<60 u/ml)

7-15-09
    tsh- .28
    FT4- .89 same ranges

Old 07-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I know there are some on this board who have both Hashi's and Graves. Hopefully they will chime in. You might want to repost with that as your heading. I'll PM you an article I found about it.

It sounds like not all Endos recognize that both of these autoimmune diseases can exist at the same time. If yours is one of them you may need to keep looking for one who does and will treat you appropriately.

Closed Thread