It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help-just started taking Cytomel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
    HashiHypo21
    (female)

HashiHypo21 HB User
    Unhappy Help-just started taking Cytomel

I'm currently taking 75mcg of Synthroid (6 days a week) and 5 mcg Liothyronine (2.5 in am and 2.5 in pm). My TSH was .19 on my on the last labs.

I started taking Liothyronine 5 days ago (Wednesday 07/15/09). I took the brand name "cytomel" for the first two days, 15th-16th, because the pharmacy was out of the generic. I started to feel better on Thursday and felt great through Saturday. Today, I felt exactly the way I use to feel before I started taking Liothyronine. All day, I felt miserable, extremely emotional, sad, &tired. I slept practically the entire day. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I took the medication at a later time than usual. I usually take it between 7:00-8:00 AM and today I took it around 11:30.

Dies anyone know why I would feel great for a few days and then go back to feeling horrible? I was so excited to finally get rid of my symtoms but after today, i'm so discouraged.

I was really appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Help-just started taking Cytomel

Did you cut back on levothyroxine when you took T3 along? It's not always needed - it can make you feel even more HypoT especially before T3 starts to kick in. Why are you levothyroxineless once a week - it would be better to even out the dose so that you'd be taking the same (or at least almost the same) amount of med every day. With T3 your TSH will be low in the future too so you can forget about it and concentrate on your Free T levels and getting rid of symptoms.

I've been on T3 for 3,5 years now - it does take patience and sometimes you really need to look "outside the box".

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-20-2009 at 12:58 AM.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
    HashiHypo21
    (female)

HashiHypo21 HB User

Because of my TSH level of .19 and the addition of 5 mcg of Liothyronine to my treatment, my doctor felt reducing my Synthroid intake from 75 mcg to 60 MCG would be best. According to him the skipping a dose of Synthroid (75 mcg) on the same day every week would provide the same effect as taking a lower dose (60 mcg) everyday.

I feel a lot better than I did yesterday but not as good as I felt last week. Did you have similar struggles? How long did it take you to feel better once you started the medication?

I have to tell you, even though I don't feel 100%, I'm still very grateful for this medication. Before last week, I don't remember the last time I felt like myself; I woke up in the morning in a great mood, happy and smiling; I was able to function at work without a struggle; I had my sense of humor back and the best part, I felt like I could brush anything off my shoulder; I wasn't getting upset over stupid trivial matters.

I just don't want to go back to feeling miserable again.

BTW, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Is your doc going only by TSH? This really doesn't sound promising considering the fact that your TSH will be even lower - probably unmeasurable - when on the right dose on T4/T3 treatment. He really needs to focus on your FT4 and FT3 and especially your symptoms. Lacking meds on one day causes stress to your body and the healthy thyroid doesn't "skip doses" when needed either so it would be best to take the same amount of med every day (or a slightly lower dose every other day).

Cutting back on my levothyroxine dose was a mistake - and I cut it back by just 12,5 mcgs from 175 mcgs. I became even more disoriented so I soon returned to my original dose (my FT4 probably wasn't that high either). I felt some improvement immediately (my eyes would stay open ) but it took full six weeks to start to sleep properly (which was a huge factor in my symptoms) and from there on I felt like a new person - the dose was 10 mcgs then. I've had to change the dose every once in a while (I'm now on 225 mcgs of T4 and 30 mcgs of T3) but now I've been pretty stable for the last 20 months or so.

I'm glad if I've been able to help (and I would hate to hear that someone's given up on for example T3 and still feeling crappy when they're docs haven't known what to do with it...)

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-20-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
    HashiHypo21
    (female)

HashiHypo21 HB User

I switched back to the brand name Cytomel and I've been feeling a lot better since. Here the catch... I think I'm allergic to the medication. My skin has started itching and I have developed rashes ever since I started taking the medication. It seems like if its not one thing its another. My doctor recomended that I should stop taking it for at least a week to see if it makes a difference. How can I stop taking Cytomel when I know that I will go back to feeling miserable and depressed. I much rather tolerate the itching then the depression and the brain fog. Do youknow of anyone who has also expirienced itching and rashes from taking Cytomel?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Don't remember exactly but it's possible someone I know has had it. I know a woman that got all sorts of allergic type of reactions when started T3 (from oatmeal for example...) - I too got swelling in my ears and nose right after I took my T3 dose for weeks and after I had increased the dose (not anymore when I was on a higher dose and been on it a good while). These went away in a few months and the one with these allergic reactions eventually did pretty good on T3 but later switched to Armour.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
    HypoHellRaiser1
    (female)

HypoHellRaiser1 HB User

I had a total thyroidectomy four months ago. The endo put me on Synthroid 100 mcg by looking at a chart according to weight. I was always about 106 pounds, but had jumped to 110 through the ordeal. I continued to gain. When I was 120 and crying for no reason, depressed and negative attitude, I demanded another set of blood tests and an appt with him, and he relented to drop my synthroid to 75 and add cytomel 5 mcg. I think I need 10 mcg of t-3, so I have been doubling the dose. I feel good now, normal, like I used to. The t-3 really made the difference, but I wonder if I am harming myself to take 10 mcg instead of 5 mcg. From what I've read, 10 will be OK. He told me if I have further problems with "depression" that I should consider seeing a phychiatrist! I'm willing to do that, but I don't think a phych will change the thyroid medications, so what's the point. And, I wasn't this way before, so I think it's metabolism related. I hear cytomel is sometimes used for depression, so I guess I am self medicating, if I tell the truth. I know I will have to tell the doctor I have been doubling the dose when I see him in 3 months, because what I'm taking will reflect in the blood results, and rather than be glad that I feel good, he may be ****** that I didn't follow his exact instructions. Any comments anyone?

Last edited by HypoHellRaiser1; 08-04-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think you need to see another doctor if this isn't willing to listen to you I just picked up my meds at the pharmacy today and the pharmacist (in training) asked if I'm being monitored. I told him me and my doc have our own monitoring system (= basically going by symptoms) and I can pretty much wipe my butt with labs

Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
    HypoHellRaiser1
    (female)

HypoHellRaiser1 HB User

FinnMaid, I like your attitude. My cousin had the same operation about ten years ago -- told me she knows she is hypo when her voice starts getting hoarse. Interesting that the hoarseness has completely left my voice since I started the Cytomel/Synthroid in combination. I don't care that the doctor was egotistical, as long as I got what I wanted and needed. Grateful to be feeling well.

Last edited by HypoHellRaiser1; 08-05-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Closed Thread