HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Free T3 and Free T4 results with TSH, Help Please (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/704691-free-t3-free-t4-results-tsh-help-please.html)

mtm1215 07-20-2009 09:27 AM

Free T3 and Free T4 results with TSH, Help Please

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 08. I've been seeing an Endo and put on different doses of synthroid.

I am currently on 112 mcg of synthroid.

I found myself a new endo this month and he ordered Free T3 which I had never had done before.

What are your thoughts on the following results and is there something I should discuss with him.

My TSH has been up and down for some time now.......Lowest being .18 and highest being 22.23

My current labs are

TSH 18.62 High .40-4.50
T4 Free 0.7 Low 0.8-1.8
T3 Free 256 230-420

Thanks in advance

I just recently had a thyroid biopsy with the following results as well..........

1: Diagnosis
Right Thyroid: FNA: DEFERRED. NO DIAGNOSTIC CEllS
IDENTIFIED.

SEE COMMENT.
Microscopic Description: The cytoconcentrate smears are devoid of
any follicular cells. macrophages or appreciable colloid. The cell bliock
sections are also acellular.

2: Diagnosis
Left Thyroid: FNA: NO MAliGNANT CELLS IDENTIFIED. Limited
CELLULARiTY.

SEE COMMENT.

Microscopic Description: The cytoconcernrate smears are sparsely cellular.
Blood and rare uniform follicular cells are seen. No cystic changes are seen. The cell block sections are acellular.

Comments

Specimen #1: This thyroid nodule did not yield any diagnostic material. Suggest repeat FNA if clinically indicated.

Specimen #2: Suggest clinicaL/radiological correlation. If there is suspicion of a neoplasm. suggest repeat FNA for a more cellular sample.

javelina 07-20-2009 11:59 AM

Re: Free T3 and Free T4 results with TSH, Help Please

Your FT3 and FT4 are very, very low and you are hypothyroid. It would be best to get your FT3 at the very top of range and the FT4 up to the top third of range.

What is your endo recommending about the resluts of your thyroid scan?

mtm1215 07-20-2009 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=mcaimless;4041345]Your FT3 and FT4 are very, very low and you are hypothyroid. It would be best to get your FT3 at the very top of range and the FT4 up to the top third of range.

What is your endo recommending about the resluts of your thyroid scan?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the response. So, I'm guessing they will up my medication? I can't believe it's been a year of medication and I'm still not regulated.

What is the big deal with the Free T3 and Free T4 testing as opposed to just T3 and T4 testing? I don't understand the numbers too much, I just know I don't feel well.

I don't see the Endo again until July 28th but the surgeon who did the FNA Thyroid biopsy said come back in 8 months.

My PCP ordered the biopsy because of the nodules on ultrasound are not shrinking, But instead getting bigger.

I wonder what Endo's response will be when I show him the results of the biopsy.

This Endo is new to me and it will be my second time seeing him.
My first Endo, I gave him a year to help me and he only gave me 5 minutes of his time at each appointment

javelina 07-21-2009 07:49 AM

[QUOTE]What is the big deal with the Free T3 and Free T4 testing as opposed to just T3 and T4 testing? I don't understand the numbers too much, I just know I don't feel well.[/QUOTE]

Free Thyroxine (FT4) and Free Triiodothyronine (FT3) are the actual unbound amounts of thyroid hormones circulating in your blood. Measurement of these hormones can give a much more accurate picture of how much hormone is available to you and corresponds much more closely with how the patient is feeling sympomatically.

You might consider going to a T4 and T3 replacement therapy like natural thyroid hormones if you continue to not do well on the T4-only med you are on. [COLOR="Blue"]* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator * [/COLOR]

Have you had the antibody tests for Hashimoto's? Hashi's can make it harder to regulate your thyroid meds. Ask your doc for TPO-Ab and TG-Ab tests to rule this out.

mtm1215 07-22-2009 05:30 PM

Thank you again for responding. I really do appreciate this board and the members on it because I'm learning so much. It has been a tough 15 months for me as each time I go to the Dr's I learn I have something wrong with me.....UGGGH!

I do have Hashi's and hope I get regulated soon because I'm tired of feeling bad!

I am worried about the thyroid biopsy and cant wait to see what this new Endo has to say next Tues the 28th.

During the last 15 months, I learned I have High blood pressure, 2 heart murmurs/2 mild leaky valves, Possible MS, 3 herniated disc in my back and 3 in my neck with loss of curvature of the neck, Torn labrum in shoulder, ankle arthritis, Elhers Danlos Syndrome and the list goes on..........

I've been in the ER often this past month because of vomitting/diarrhea so I just saw a GI Doc and he ran lots of test so I cant wait to get results there!!

I read this board often and appreciate all the info I get from it's members. Your help is very valuable to me.