It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• face swelling & Hashimoto's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #16
    hashimom
    (female)

hashimom HB User
    Re: face swelling & Hashimoto's

LibraryGirl,
    Thanks for the info on the endos and all your other advice - I did not want to just call someone out of the phonebook if she has a problem at school I will try the Physicians Assistant first!Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #17
    hashimom
    (female)

hashimom HB User

Here are the results from this weeks' labs. Unfortunately,for some reason, the Free T3 did not get taken (it figures!) and we have to get new orders so I hope we have it for our appt. on Monday because that is the one that was really low and the TSH and Free T4 have become fairly normal. I am afraid that the doctor will do what some of you guys have said and leave her level alone because her TSH went down. Her symptoms (bloating, tired, hair falling out, feeling crummy) are still bad.

New TSH - .08 Last Month - 1.9 Range - .3 - 5.1

Free T4 - 1.0 Last Month - .78 Range .73 - 1.95

She has been on .75 of Synthroid for 5 weeks.

Estradol - 63
    FSH - 6.0
    LH - 4.2
    She tested negative for Celiacs. Vit. B level is fine, Vit. D was 44 a month ago and she is taking supplement.

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #18
    librarygirl2
    (female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hashimom View Post
    LibraryGirl,
    Thanks for the info on the endos and all your other advice - I did not want to just call someone out of the phonebook if she has a problem at school I will try the Physicians Assistant first!Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
    You're welcome! Good luck with the docs.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #19
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

She is still very low in free T4 and it's no wonder she's still symptomatic. Her T4 levels need to be up in the top third of range. I'll be willing to bet her FT3 is low still as well. T3 levels need to be at the very top of range. Don't let her doc tell you that just because she's "in range" that she doesn't need more meds. Her TSH will likely be suppressed well below 1 before she gets up to therapeutic levels with her FTs. Many docs are afraid of low TSH and won't prescribe hormone increases as a result. That is why TSH is a lousy test for thyroid treatment.

Last edited by javelina; 08-07-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
    Oppida
    (female)

Oppida HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcaimless View Post
    She is still very low in free T4 and it's no wonder she's still symptomatic. Her T4 levels need to be up in the top third of range. I'll be willing to bet her FT3 is low still as well. T3 levels need to be at the very top of range. Don't let her doc tell you that just because she's "in range" that she doesn't need more meds. Her TSH will likely be suppressed well below 1 before she gets up to therapeutic levels with her FTs. Many docs are afraid of low TSH and won't prescribe hormone increases as a result. That is why TSH is a lousy test for thyroid treatment.
    Couldn't agree more!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
    hashimom
    (female)

hashimom HB User

We went to the endo today and it was exactly like all of you described!!
    We finally got mydaughter's Free T3 back - it was 2.29 (range 2.3-4.2) and had actually gone down from 2.3.

New TSH - 1.9 Range - .3 - 5.1

Free T4 - .78 Range - .73 - 1.95
    Free T3 - 2.29 Range - 2.3 -4.2

She has been on .75 of Synthroid for 5 weeks. Dr. said her TSH looked good (lol). In the meantime, my daughter has been working out 6 days a week and on a strict diet and has not lost a pound in the past 6 weeks and she still has a lot of swelling. My husband went with me (former thyroid cancer patient) and we did not back down until she agreed to put her on Cytomel - so now she is supposed to be on .50 Synthroid and half of .25 of cytomel. Let me know what your experience on the combo has been.

The funniest part of the whole appt. was at the end, the doctor told us she wanted to talk to my daughter alone and for us to wait in the lobby. She proceeded to ask my daughter if she would like to talk to someone about her depression!!! She also told her that she might have been a college runner a few months ago but she will have to get used to the fact that she probably won't ever look like that again since she has all these "fat cells" now....my daughter was already depressed that she might not make it back to college in 3 weeks- way to give her some hope!

The good news is we got the cytomel and we also have an appt. with another doc tomorrow whose name I got from 2 different compounding pharmacy so we are hoping for a more positive out come! Will keep you posted and always appreciate any and all advice!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #22
    librarygirl2
    (female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

Hi Hashimom,
    thanks for posting the latest labs for your daughter. I'm wondering if the T4 needs to be increased as well since the FT4 number is in the lower quartile? Both FT3 and FT4 are low and it may be good to increase the Synthroid as well. Maybe our expert, Midwest, can confirm this?

BTW, I'm glad you're getting some Cytomel since the FT3 is falling compared to the previous lab result.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #23
    hashimom
    (female)

hashimom HB User

Just a quick question- tried a new doc yesterday who seems good- ordered Natural progesterone for my daughter and compounded T3 instead of the Cytomel. Does anyone have any advice for Cytomel vs Compounded T3??

Closed Thread