It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help with possible goiter!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
    nichols4
    (female)

nichols4 HB User
    Question Help with possible goiter!!

I have had a CT and Ultrasound performed on my thyroid. My doctor said it was a huge goiter growing towards my spine and possible cancerous and needed to have surgery to remove the right side. The doctor from my second opinion said not to worry that nodules are fairly common and if it was a goiter, is was extremely small. I have no swelling or lumps on examination but do have the fullness and squeezing pressure in the neck/throat. The 2nd doctor said that was caused by stress/depression. I am at a lost as what to do. Both doctors are ENT's - no endrocrinologists in town. The Ultrasound results showed 2 tiny nodules in the right lobe measuring .52 x .34 x .8cm and the other .28 x .18 x .17cm. No nodules in left lobe. It said both lobes have nonhomogeneous echogenicity (whatever that means). Right lobe is 4.1 x 1.97 x 1.58cm and the left is 4.11 x 1.41 x 1.33cm. The report says finding consistent with multinodular goiter. Does this sound like a large goiter... if one at all? The first doctor said surgery was the only option for the goiter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Help with possible goiter!!

I don't think you have anything to get too worried about, other than a doctor that made you crazy. Perhaps he's low on cash, and you have good insurance, so he needs to rush you into surgery?

Every thyroid is a different size, but yours does not sound overly large at all---I've seen much much larger dimensions mentioned on this board. I think it's more in the normal (maybe a tiny bit enlarged) rather than large goiter range. A "multinodular goiter" is basically a lumpy bumpy thyroid usually the result of thyroid disease such as hashimotos (not stress).

The nodules you have are too small to do any needle biopsies, they are not indicative of cancer, and you should just watch them for growth over time. I don't love your second ENT either with the stress thing, but he's certainly better than your first opinon.

My guess is that you have hashimotos, and you should go to a regular doctor (since you have no endos around) and get some blood work, tsh, free t4, free t3, and see if you are low on hormone, which may be giving you some of those compression symptoms and making the thyroid swell. Many times goiters go down with thyroid medication.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
    nichols4
    (female)

nichols4 HB User

I have had 2 thyroid tests - he said both normal. I know he did test the TSH and T3 and T4 but is a "free" T3/4 different? Also, when I had the CT scan, the iodine dye from the test took all the fullness/choking feeling away for 2 weeks. The 2nd doctor said that it didn't make any sense that dye should alleviate the pressure.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

"Normal" is meaningless, especially coming from either of those clowns. If the TSH is above 1.5 and/or T4/T3 are below median lab range, that's not "normal", even though many doctor would tell you it is. We can help you decipher the tests if you want to post your results and the lab's range for each one.

Free T tests are more accurate than total T tests. TPO and Tg antibody tests would be useful in addition to the ones Reece mentioned.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
    nichols4
    (female)

nichols4 HB User

Gee.. here's a shock. He never gave me a copy of the test results. All he said was "normal". I will get a copy on Monday and post the results. The only reason I have the ultrasound results is because I drove to the lab and asked for a copy because I didn't trust anybody at that point.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
    nichols4
    (female)

nichols4 HB User

Here are the bloodwork results I picked up this morning:

T3 - 96 Range 58-159
    Free T3 - 2.59 Range 1.7-3.7
    T4 - 7.9 Range 5.5-11.0
    Free T4 - 1.0 Range 0.8-2.2
    TSH - 2.6 Range .47-4.68

Closed Thread