It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• new & confused: sub-clinical hyperthyroidism + markers for Graves

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
    starkstark
    (female)

starkstark HB User
    New & Confused: Help Explain Sub-Clinical Hyperthyroid & Graves Markers Vs Diagnosis

Hello!

I'm a newcomer and hoping someone might be able to help explain my results - been trying to piece it together myself but struggling. I've been tested a few times and have the following results. My endocrinologist said it's sub-clinical hyperthyroid and that the antibody results are a marker for Graves. The next step is a follow-up in 6 months.

However, I received no explanation of my lab results and what they mean - after doing some research, my TSH, TgAb and TPOab seem very off, but the rest are within the normal-ish range. I don't understand what would move the needle and would officially diagnose hyperthyroidism and Graves. Any explanation of my results, and what makes them subclinical/markers versus an actual diagnose, would be very helpful!!! Thank you in advance!

TSH 3rd Generation: <0.01 (reference 0.4 -4.0)
    Thyroglobulin Ab: 95 (reference <27)
    TPOab: 221 (reference <20)

T3 Total: 1.48 (reference .80 - 1.7)
    T4: 10.1 (reference: 4.8-11.0)
    T3 Uptake: 30.7 (reference 23.5-40.6)
    Free Thyroxine Index: 3.1 (reference 1.5-3.8)
    Free T4: 1.5 (reference 1.1-2.4)

Last edited by starkstark; 09-24-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
    Re: new & confused: sub-clinical hyperthyroidism + markers for Graves

Hi! your antibodies for Graves/Hashi's are higher than normal. You need the TSI antibody test too, that is the Graves marker. You can have these other antibodies elevated too but they don't prove Graves without the TSI or TRab tests, you have to see about getting the TSI(thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins) As far as your free t 3 and 4 they are in normal range even though your tsh is low, you might show hyper t 3 and 4 in the future. Do you have symptoms? Some docs treat this with meds, some wait till frees are out of the range.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
    starkstark
    (female)

starkstark HB User

Hi! Thanks so much for helping me make sense of this. I wonder why my doc wouldn't give the TSI/TRab tests at this point to confirm. I do have symptoms - I'm always racing around, super speedy, hot, have problems sleeping almost every night, have had heart palpitations for years - I'm your typical hyperthyroid Type A personality. Also have trembling hands and a very slightly enlarged thyroid. My doc is very conservative re: treatment, which is a good thing I think. He wants to wait and see, but it seems like this inevitable course...just a matter of time before it hits. My job is extremely high pressure and stressful - I've read that can contribute. Do you have experience with that?

Thank you so, so, so much again! It's such a puzzle and I'm trying to decipher all the acronyms and tests and what means what!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

It seems to me that an endocrinologist should know better than to miss testing the Free T3 level in a patient that is exhibiting symptoms and has a TSH level that low. It's possible that you're dealing with what's known as T3 toxicosis and that could explain your symptoms and the low TSH level and it's not something you just want to wait and see on. I think you need to push for better testing and get to the bottom of it now.

I hate to say it but shame on the endo.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
    starkstark
    (female)

starkstark HB User

Thanks for this info! I felt surprised I didn't get that test too - especially because it sounds important. When I saw how off certain #'s of mine are (TSH so low, TPOab seemingly fairly high), I just wonder how close I am to there being a bigger problem. Can those #'s be so out of whack, and I be just fine?

Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Yes Accessn is right, there is no result for the FREE T 3 just total, which is up there, no doubt if the free is tested it'll be even higher, mine was My doc didn't test that at first either and didn't think I was hyper or Graves. I knew I was, he wasn't convinced said it was other things maybe,even depression (I wasn't depressed!) it took more tests to convince him,free t -3, tsi etc.. I had a normal Free t-4 but out of the range high Free -t 3. he FINALLY treated me with meds about 5 months later. Yes, stress adds to this, it may even start the whole thing, it was like that with me. Even after he did a test where he put a piece of paper on my hands after he made me touch thumbs with my fingers spread apart and then back together and the paper was vibrating! He was like "that's good" and I was like "THAT'S GOOD????"He still wasn't convinced! If you feel terrible ask him if he can refer you to an endo or have him do the Free t-3.

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 09-26-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
    starkstark
    (female)

starkstark HB User

It's amazing how stubborn these docs are! Would you recommend that I ask my endo for the Free T3 & the TSI test? Would those confirm a diagnosis, or not necessarily? Why do you think he wouldn't just run those tests?

As for the stress, did you make any lifestyle changes to lower your stress levels? My job is so stressful and I feel like this is a sign it's taking its toll and my body can't sustain it much longer. Any thoughts?

Closed Thread