It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Going on 7 months of persistently swollen lymph nodes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
    CW1984
    Veteran
    (female)

CW1984 HB User
    Going on 7 months of persistently swollen lymph nodes

I first noticed some lymph nodes going down the right side of my neck back in March. My baby was just starting daycare and was sick a lot which meant I was sick A LOT so I just brushed the lymph nodes off to that. In June, had an ENT take a look- he did a thyroid u/s and ct scan of the neck with contrast. Thyroid u/s showed multinodular goiter, ct scan was clear except for "several shotty lymph nodes". The ENT said he saw nothing serious and said they were reactive nodes. In July, had my yearly checkup and doc ordered a lot of blood work. The only number I got from her was my TSH was a 9 and the range was 3-5. I didn't get the other numbers. She sent me to an Endo. He just said I had post partum thyroiditis/chronic thyroiditis, put me on 75 mg Levothyroxine, and wanted to see me 2 months later for follow up blood work and repeat u/s. I asked him about my lymph nodes and he said they weren't swollen... um, they are.

So... almost 7 months later I still have these swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. It's like a little cluster of lymph nodes going down the right side of my neck. What is going on??? At my checkup, my doc said they are reacting to the thyroid disease but are they ever going to go away? I've been on the Levothyroxine for 2 months now and they are exactly the same. And why are they only swollen on the right side of my neck?? I'm going to see a new Endo at the end of this month. I wasn't crazy about the first one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Going on 7 months of persistently swollen lymph nodes

I think swollen lymph nodes are really common with thyroid issues. Also, some people, like me, just tend to have enlarged lymph nodes all the time. The radiologist would have flagged them if there was a problem---there is a different look I'm told to ones to worry about, and ones that are ok.

When I had thyroid cancer (not that you have this) and my thyroid removed, my surgeon said i had many enlarged lymph nodes, but they were rubbery. He removed them, but they were clear, no cancer, just enlarged---I find these with my mammograms too. I would just keep an eye, but not worry unless you have other issues.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
    CW1984
    Veteran
    (female)

CW1984 HB User

Reece- you are a God send to thid board.

I've always had very reactive nodes in my neck. The slightest cold and they would flare up and I've had 5 docs tell me they are reacting to my thyroid. But I still worry and need to stop touching them!

I have to wait til the 26th of this month to see my new Endo. I was prescribed the 75mg at the first of August and can't believe I have had to wait this long for a follow up. That's 2.5 months that those nodules and who knows what else has had time to grow not to mention, 2.5 months of not feeling any better.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
    b1791
    (female)

b1791 HB User

When my thyroid levels are off the lymph nodes in my armpits get very sore. It's one of the ways I know to get my levels checked again.

Beth

Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
    CW1984
    Veteran
    (female)

CW1984 HB User

Thanks Beth. How long do they stay swollen for? Mine haven't gone down since the first day I noticed them (7 months ago). Some days they seem a bit smaller than other days like this weekend, I was having a big flare up but they are back to their regular swollen size now. I'm wondering if my medication dosage needs to be increased- maybe once I get the right dosage, they will go down?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
    b1791
    (female)

b1791 HB User

Mine don't really swell, per se, instead they just get really sore. After my last dose increase the soreness got much better. Recently I went down a little bit in my dose and I can feel them getting a little sore again.

Beth

Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
    golfhat
    Veteran
    (female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

My story is so similar to yours.
    I have had a slightly swollen lymph node in my neck for over two years!! Yep!
    However, that node is why found my Thyroid tumor.

I convinced an ENT surgeon to Please do an ultra sound of my node ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY NECK LIKE YOURS, and while doing that ultra sound, the tech side," you have a growth on your thyroid and it is not small."

She told me to tell my doc.
    The ENT was so shocked and said WHY didn't you mention Thyroid cancer in your brother?????

So they take out my tumor--- it was benign, thank goodness and I am on meds now.
    It has been two years since then and and guess what?
    My lymph node is still swollen. The other side...nothing.
    It's sometimes painful and my neck hurts.

So what the heck is going on? I am ready to have this thing needle biopsied. I want to be sure there is no cancer in there!!!

I have been on antibiotics for various things in the last two years and it has not helped my lymph node.

Last edited by golfhat; 04-02-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
    Looking4aAnswer
    (female)

Looking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB User

Hi Reece,

It's been awhile since I was on here and I posted a message about similar symptoms. When you experience the swelling, does it also make you feel pressure as if you are have to cough? This really causes major anxiety for me and I have a very important career interview Monday, so I am really hoping this swelling and pressure is based upon my Armour levels and I posted my latest lab results as well.

Thanks!!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
    kristeana22
    (female)

kristeana22 HB User

cw 1984 can you update? It sounds like I am in the same exact boat you were a few years ago. What came of it??

Closed Thread