It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto's + Joint Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
    LadyEm
    (female)

LadyEm HB User
    Hashimoto's + Joint Pain

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but does anybody here with Hashi's suffer from joint pain as well? Climbing stairs, walking in the morning, and even my hands ache at times. I understand this may be due to the Hashimoto's, but could it be possible I've developed something else? Don't get me started on the fatigue...although it has improved dramatically since medication. My hands are on and off with dryness, and same with my hair. My hair is dry and falling out. Ugh.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's + Joint Pain

Hypothyroidism, whether it be from Hashi's or other causes, will cause joint and muscle pains. I spent a lot of time chasing my multiple joint issues with rheumatologists and orthopedists before I figured out it was my thyroid all along.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

My doctor gave me some information about a seminar he attended on thyroid and other hormones. Interestingly it states that the pain, often referred to as fibromyalgia, can be linked to imbalanced cortisol levels.

Others have noticed aches and pains disappear by boosting vitamin d levels, then again, higher levels of vit D helps your adrenals and thereby cortisol hormone output. You may want to get tested for the lot and see if that helps.

Another point of interest i've come across is that estrogen dominance can lead to hypo thyroid, adrenal problems and fibromyalgia. Imbalance of estrogen to progesterone is also very common with being hypothyroid.

It's all interconnected somehow and takes a lot of reading and joining the dots, if you have the time

Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
    zoro2007
    (female)

zoro2007 HB User

Fibromyalgia is being linked to thyroid disorders!!! Could it be you have this?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by javelina View Post
    Hypothyroidism, whether it be from Hashi's or other causes, will cause joint and muscle pains. I spent a lot of time chasing my multiple joint issues with rheumatologists and orthopedists before I figured out it was my thyroid all along.
    Me too. I saw a rheumatologist, but my joint pain if thyroid related. I have both Hashimotos and Graves. I get a lot of joint pain, muscle, even bone pain. I have been extremely symptomatic since day one of my diseases. I just deal with the joint pain. My body is very actively killing my thyroid right now....

Old 07-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
    ezell333
    (female)

ezell333 HB User

I have the same problems. I've had Hashi's for about 4 years now. In the past year I've had joint pain and my feet hurt TERRIBLY if I'm too active throughout the day. Ditto on the hair and skin... I have attributed my pain to the Hashimoto's but don't really know for sure.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
    mazon15301
    (female)

mazon15301 HB User

My hashis is VERY slow. Ten years and only mild damage and mild antibody levels, HOWEVER, my symptoms are as if I am already half dead. I have the "fibromyalgia", which I do not consider a co-disease rather than a name for a blanket of joint and muscle pain symptoms. I've taken higher levels of vitamin D, taking my value from a 20 to a 33 in three months. It didn't do jack for the pain or fatigue. I started Thyrolovoxin about a month ago and have a little more get up and go, but not much to write home about. However, when I take b12 under the tongue (bought at Sams Club), in about three weeks, I had loads more energy and less mood swings.

My lab for b12 was 459, which I was told was good. I read on here it should be at least 900-ish. I'm hoping to have it retested in August and see where it is. I stopped the b12 for about two weeks so I am just starting it over again now.

I hope something in here helped someone figure out their situation.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
    MB7716
    (female)

MB7716 HB User

Sorry you're so achey! I can absolutley relate--in fact, I found myself asking a similar question in this forum just the other day.

My body has just generally ached, with a few specific on-going joint/tendon injuries, for about two years now (PS: I'm 27. I dont think I should be so achey on a daily basis). I will say that in the beginning of my discovery and diagnosis of Hashimotos, they also found that my vitamin d levels were horrible. After getting my vitamin d levels to a happy point, I had a little bit, but not full, relief of my aches.

My knuckles frequently ache, like yours. My joints pop and get sprained quite easily (specifically knees, shoulders, and elbows).

You should probably mention to your doctor your ongoing pain and at least see if your Vit D levels are where they should be.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
    mazon15301
    (female)

mazon15301 HB User

My D levels were as low as 17 and as high as 36. I have yet to find a dr that is willing to check for any other def, suych as potassium or magnesium. Most drs just call whatever I complain about as "fibromyalgia" and that secondary dx seems to give them the "out" to dismiss everything that comes out of my mouth. To be honest, I've since just shut up and try to just deal with this as some sort of disability rather than hold onto hopes and dreams. To which the drs then go, holy crap, you're depressed- here take some of these pills (which make me both suicidal and apathitic depending on which drug it is).

I got a lead on a great dr that actually listens, but I have yet to even call to make an appt. I transfered my files over at least, but I cant seem to con myself into making a phone call. I guess I'm afraid of being disappointed yet again. I'm not sure. I've been sick for like 11 years now, I'm a lost cause.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
    ABQpam
    (female)

ABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB User

Hello Mazon -

I know exactally how you feel. So sorry you have been ill for 11 years. I've only been sick 2+ years, but the endless tests and "deaf" doctors left me feeling the same way - a lost cause. I ended up taking a break from the medical madness for a year. (Poor choice) I just couldn't deal with another dismissive doctor or unproductive appointment.

I feel so lousy and knew I really needed to get "back on the bus" but couldn't make that call either. I posted my fears of disappointment here, asking for help - "what is my problem?" .... I received so much support, encouragement and validation. One of the ladies suggested I have a plan in place for another doctor if this one wasn't receptive. Advice that I took, but didn't need. Well, not yet anyway. I'm still in the testing process.

The wonderful people here gave me the confidence boost I needed. I finally made an appointment, had some tests and am back on my journey for proper diagnosis and treatment.

In all honesty, the appointment went much better than I was ANTICIPATING. I think when we are in this situation of difficult diagnosis or treatment, we start doubting ourselves and we lose confidence. We question the thinking of the doctors.... I was like a deer in headlights.

Please call and make the appointment Monday morning. If this new doctor doesn't listen then find another doctor. Keep trying until you find one you connect with that is thyroid savvy. You deserve to feel well! You are worth it! Hope this helps you in some way.

Blessings & Hugs,

Pam

Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
    mazon15301
    (female)

mazon15301 HB User

I think I'm more afraid of this doctor not being knowledgable enough to treat properly, I think I can be firm enough to get any testing that I want done. At least, I'm at the point in my life where I'm finally angry enough to not be as easily intimidated.

I've been told that my hasi's isn't "bad" enough to even require treatments and my antibodies are indeed low yet abnormal. When i take the levothyroxin, it at least stabilizes my mood, rather quickly in fact, but even at a 4 and 6 week benchmark, I see no improvment in any other areas. I'm wondering if I have something else besides just the hashis. That being said, I think that plays part in my hesitation to get involved with another doctor, especially one who I think will be rather green when it comes to matters of the thyroid.

However, maybe it's worth a try ... I mean, I have to get the kids up to date with their shots anyway.

I appreciate your reply and encouragement. What is your hashis like? Mine is pretty comparable to this fibromyalgia only I dont respond to any meds or treatment for fibro ... well, I do respond to the anti depressants, they make me suicidal or completely apathetic, but it IS a response. Sorry, I've developed quite a dark sense of humor. It took me years of screaming or them to test for ANYTHING else since my original dx was Fibro. Then it took 4 years of screaming and finally a lawsuit threat to get them to even LOOK at my gallbladder, which basically had a golf ball size stone in it by the time they listened to me. It'd be nice to sorta swap hasi symptoms, like the real stuff you dont find on a search engine, just to see how in common the symptoms really are.

Example: My very first sign of something wrong was this intense spreading pain that migrated from joint to joint. It felt like a flu- type ache but it would start at any given joint and then slowly spread over to almost every joint in the body. After about two years of dealing with it and dealing with fibro drs and fibro chiropractors, it went away all by itself, leaving me weak and feeling as if my muscles were atrophied and joints very unstable.

I wonder if anyone else has ever had that, have you?

Old 06-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
    ABQpam
    (female)

ABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB User

It's good to be angry and not intimidated! LOL. That goes a long way in getting you better. I was totally exhausted and frustrated. And this created my hesitation for going to the doctor - compounded by the prospect of yet another clueless one.

So are you on Levo now? Maybe your dose was never enough to stabilize your symptoms. Or like you said, maybe you have something else going on. My original dianosis was Chronic Ebstein-Barr virus. I have HIGH ab's for that. The symptoms are similar to hypoT. But after almost 2 years waiting to get better, I felt like there was something else causing my ill health. Enter: Thyroid.

I don't know yet if my issue is Hashi's or not. My PCP is thinking that direction. My antibodies, like yours, are also low. I have goiter that has grown over the last year as well as old nodules that have enlarged and now 3 new suspicious nodules. UGH! I'm going on the 15th for a nuclear scan and RAI Uptake scan. Holding out hope this will give her the info she needs to start treatment. My symptoms are hypo at this time; fatigue, freezing all the time, brain fog, muscles achy and weak, heart palps, breathless at times, Now I'm starting to have hip and knee problems. The big puzzle for me has been that I feel better in evening, stay up way too late and then have to pry myself out of bed. Takes a couple more hours before i feel alive, drag all day until late evening. It fits with the thyroid hormone daily cycle. Don't know if it is Hashi's symptom though.

Early on (and from time to time) I had more hyper symptoms; exhausted but can't sleep, pounding racing heart - often woke me from sleep, weird anxiety, shaky hands and legs. I'm just a mess of symptoms! My labs are "low normal". FT4 low enough to confirm hypo, but not low enough for meds. Although she said she will treat me once she has the scan results.

I have had the roving muscle & joint pains for several years. I kept getting massage and body work but it never gave me lasting relief. Then I stopped getting any massage and it improved. Go figure. I think it just kept my muscles inflamed. I do get trigger point work now and that has helped keep it under control. Have you tried massage or trigger point work? Might work for you.

Don't know if I answered any of your questions, I'm still kinda new here. I wish you luck with the doctor and hope you'll stay at it until you feel better. Keep us informed how you are doing. I'll post when I get my scan results. I'm really hoping for a dx and treatment.

Blessings & Hugs

Pam

Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Muscle and joint pain are two of the most common symptoms of hypothyroidism. Too many people are given a fibro Dx when, in actuality, they have undiagnosed/improperly treated hypothyroidism.

Many of us have to rally for proper treatment. Even though my doctor is pretty "with-it", I drive the dosing train.

I was the one who identified my optimal levels and continued to press for dose increases whenever my levels "strayed".

If you can find a doctor that recognizes the well-known fact that TSH isn't helpful for dosing and the actual thyroid hormone levels are (FreeT4, FreeT3), then there's a good chance you can work with the doctor to optimize your health.

Most people feel best with FreeT4/T3 levels in the upper half of the range, if not the upper third of the range.

Since most of us don't know what our optimal levels were before we got sick, it makes sense to "try on" the "most commonly comfortable" levels and then tweak the dose from there.

After dealing with 2 clueless endos, I decided to make monthly appointments with a succession of doctors. My plan was to get labs (and possible Rx's)....if the doctor's dosing advice was appropriate - great. If not, I'd move onto the next doctor.

Endo #3 was just as clueless as the two prior endos. My GP proved to be as well. I found my "charm" in the form of an internist.

Again, I had to do the work of finding my optimal levels (the absolute top of the range for both FreeT4 and FreeT3) and press for dose increases but, at least I have an agreeable doctor.

It really doesn't matter to know whether or not a person has Hashi's because treatment for hypothyroidism is the same, regardless of the cause.

If you are hypothyroid (confirmed by symptoms and below-range or below-mid-range FreeT4 and/or FreeT3), thyroid hormone replacement is in order.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
    mazon15301
    (female)

mazon15301 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ABQpam View Post
    So are you on Levo now? Now I'm starting to have hip and knee problems. The big puzzle for me has been that I feel better in evening, stay up way too late and then have to pry myself out of bed. Takes a couple more hours before i feel alive, drag all day until late evening. Have you tried massage or trigger point work? Pam
    I am currently on levo but I keep stopping it once I develop this rash that keeps getting dx'd as scabies but it's apparently not. Once it goes away, i start treatment again, so as soon as the morons at the last drs office ship my records (it's been almost 2 months now and several calls later), I'll be seeing about maybe switching to Armour or something to see if I respond better.

My sleep cycle is like that too, I only feel normal waking up around 11am and going to sleep between 2am and 4am. I've done well with massage up until most ins companies stopped paying for it. With my copays, it's getting hard for me to just go to the chiro twice a week like I am supposed to at $25 a crack. I've also had some trigger point but it seems to aggravate and inflame my skin, dunno why.

I was sick a long, long time before I e ver had a positive EBV test, like I'm talking years and I got tested almost every year, last year I finally came up positive. I only have the one type of antibody and not the other. My last test was a 78, so it's considered so mild yet my symptoms are dibilitating. I do think a lot of it IS link to some severe depression, a dx I run from because all too often the drs wanna give you prozac and just forget about you. Prozac makes me insane, btw, so I dont have any treatment options for it. As far as I'm concerned though, my depression is a direct result of dealing with so many drs. lol.

How did you scans go?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
    mazon15301
    (female)

mazon15301 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
    Muscle and joint pain are two of the most common symptoms of hypothyroidism. Too many people are given a fibro Dx when, in actuality, they have undiagnosed/improperly treated hypothyroidism.

Most people feel best with FreeT4/T3 levels in the upper half of the range, if not the upper third of the range.

If you are hypothyroid (confirmed by symptoms and below-range or below-mid-range FreeT4 and/or FreeT3), thyroid hormone replacement is in order.
    As far as I can tell, my T3 and 4 have always been in the normal range- always. My TSH was only high I think once by like a point, but I think the dr was more confused about it than I was so it could've been actually low, she called me hypERthyroid. I dunno. I'm trying to recall where in the "normal" range I was at, but it's been a while since a dr tested anything other than that stupid TSH. lol.

Yes, we have to dr jump constantly and rally for what we need. I do propose an idea about that. I have noticed that I and my mother both seem to fight for other people more than we would ourselves at the dr's office. We're less intimidated when we're there to stick up for someone else. That being so, I think all of us patients should utilize a buddy system at dr appts, at least for the first couple of appts.

Closed Thread