It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• when should i take the 24 hour adrenal saliva test?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
    confusa
    (female)

confusa HB User
    when should i take the 24 hour adrenal saliva test?

could anyone tell me when the best time is to take a 24 hour adrenal saliva test? i never know what kind of a day i am going to have..lately they have all been pretty crappy ...so any suggestions would be helpful. ( i do take progesterone day 14-28 of my cycle- did not know if that mattered.)thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: when should i take the 24 hour adrenal saliva test?

The saliva tests I've gotten from ZRT have special instructions about how to take them around your progesterone cycle. Follow the directions closely.

It takes a little planning, you need to have the tubes with you at the various times of day and refrigerate them when filled. The other thing I do is make sure to collect early in the week and then overnight mail back to the lab (rather than use the ground shipping label, if it came with one). That ensures the least amount of time before the samples are tested.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
    confusa
    (female)

confusa HB User

mine did not come with special instructions about the progesterone...it just said if you take progesterone to notify your doctor...i don't know they(my doctor staff) said they did not think it would interfere. that does not sound right to me.i guess i will be doing some calling tom. AGAIN.thanks, javelina. you seem to know alot about thyroid and adrenals...does it ever get better?does life with these issues ever feel normal again? jsut wondering.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You know, my test kits have pretty generic instructions for both cortisol and other hormone testing and I just looked at the instructions and it says these hormone users special instructions apply to tests that are for monitoring hormone levels with supplimentation. I do know that you need to be off any cortisol containing medications or adrenal suppliments that contain sheep adrenals for at least 2 weeks prior to taking the cortisol tests. That's very important. I can't see how taking your prednisone will affect cortisol levels -- but it wouldn't hurt to ask further. Can you contact the test lab directly?

I think that it does get better but those of us with adrenal problems truely have a difficult path. It's funny you posted this because I'm actually spitting into tubes today myself. I'm still trying to get my adrenals sorted out and want to test them one more time. The thyroid hormones do help but I'm not getting the full benefit from them because of longstanding adrenal fatigue. In my case it's been so long since I felt normal I'm not quite sure what it feels like anymore! But I'm a lot better now than before I started on thyroid hormones... just not to my goal, which is perfect

Old 10-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
    confusa
    (female)

confusa HB User

i did try several times to contact the lab , but was told to leave a specific message and someone would return my call that was on tuesday i have not heard from anyone. i left 2 messages. i do not want to get it wrong money is not growing on trees around here.
    did you mean progesterone or prednisone?...i a not on prednisone but progesterone...i will try again tom. with the lab.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You are right, I wrote prednisone when I meant progesterone.

I would hold off on the test until you get that lab to call you back. Keep bugging them. Like you say, better safe than sorry and these tests aren't cheap.

Closed Thread