It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New Here...B12 vs Thyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
    DJinNU
    (female)

DJinNU HB User
    New Here...B12 vs Thyroid

I received my lab results last week and I am a little confused. The Dr told me I was low in B12, which I am and therefore have a high MCV value too. My cholesteral was higher than I expected b/c I am not a junk fod fast food person at all. She did not have me fast b/f she drew the blood though. I had no idea she was going to draw blood that day. However, can't a high MCV be related to a thyroid issue too?

B12....479....range 239-931
    MCV...100.5...range 80-97
    Cholesteral...186....range 130-200
    LDL....118.....range 0-129
    WBC.....5.0
    RBC......3.84....range 3.80-5.20

The reason I went in for a physical was I was concerned with my thyroid. After research, I do realize that some symptoms of B12 deficiency and thyroid disorders overlap. However, the Dr is not concerned about my thyroid at all.

Free T4...0.86...range .78-2.19
    TSH......488...range .470-4.68

Based on these two tests only and their results, it says I could have secondary hypothyroidism. I called the Dr to ask her to draw blood for the T3test and she told me that the TSH is fine and that is the lab test that endocrinologists look to for thyroid disorders. She said she would do it if I wanted, but there is no need. The only reason I did not go in to have to done was I wanted to run this by you here on the boards. Maybe the T3 is not the test to follow up with. I did make an appt on my own with an endocrinologist for Nov 9th which I can always cancel.

My symptoms over the summer have been lightheaded/slightly dizzy, gained 5#, I know that is not alot of weight, but despite starting the gym in Sept, I can not lose 1# (frustrating), forgetful, mood swings, dry hair (although naturally wavy which I have heard all my life that wavy hair is always dry, but does feel drier) I did have blurry vision a few times while reading at night over the summer, I had tinnitus last week, but seems to have gone away, went from low libido to NO libido, my blood pressure has always been on the lower side, my hands and feet have always been cold.

I have added a B12 3000mcg 3x's per week since last week, but that is all for now.

Should I have more tests run and which ones? If you think this is not thyroid related, I wil move myself to another board and I thank you for your time. I just don't know where to start since my Dr seems very closed-minded.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
    Aahhh Problems
    (female)

Aahhh Problems HB User
    Re: New Here...B12 vs Thyroid

I'm low on B12 too, along with other things, if you're getting the symptoms, I would ask the doc to give you the full screening for thyroid disfunction, Also, get your cortisol and TPO levels done. My T3 reverse is way out of whack too.. However, I've been told by doctors for years, there's nothing wrong with my thyroid. Trust yourself and demand proper healthcare. You do display the same symptoms of a thyroid issue.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

I will be interested to see what you find out! Your cholesterol levels actually look pretty good! I have read that B12 should actually be above 500-550. That is what Japanese studies say.

My doctor says my levels are good and my B12 is only at 320 (211-911), MCV 98 (80-98), RBC 3.98 (4-5.2), Cholesterol H 242 LDL 129 (fasting), Ferritin 20. I am currently taking 5mg sublingual B12 in the hopes of raising it even though the doctor says it is good.
    Also take Synthroid and Cytomel but have low FT4 and FT3 with good TSH.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 10-23-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

DJ your FT4 is very low, only at 5% of its range and that with your symptoms and your high TSH says HYPO. You need to find another doc who will treat you and get the tests mentioned above including the free T3.
    Your high MCV is likely related to your low B12 (unless you are a very heavy drinker ). You can take more B12 than you are currently taking, I take 2000 mcg a day. Your non-fasting cholesterol is the envy of most of us here. Get your ferritin checked too.

Hopalong, I hope you are also supplimenting your iron with that low ferritin, you are very, very low and want those numbers to be up around 70-90.

Also I hope everyone is getting their vitamin D tested as well. It seems to almost always be low with us hypos.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

Javelina, I think DJinNU has low (in range) tsh? I think with all the periods it may be .488...range .470-4.68 which would put it at the low end of the range. Not quite sure how to read that but since she says secondary hypo, that was my assumption?

And, yes (thank you), I take PolyIron 150mg.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 10-23-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looking at it again I see I assumed it was a typo and was 4.88 Hopefully she can verify. Best to look at the low FT4 and the symptoms here anyway. TSH can be any number for some of us, especially if there is an autoimmume thing going on. Thanks for catching that though.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
    DJinNU
    (female)

DJinNU HB User

I am sorry for all the "dots". My TSH is 0.488.

Do you think I should wait until my endo appt to demand the extra tests, or should I go back to my GP and ask her to do them now so I have them by the time I go for my appt. I am thinking maybe the endo would like to finish up with what tests might have been missed.

I am still waiting for my Vit D results but I am currently taking 5000iu's per day ramping up for the winter months here in NY. Last year my Vit D was somewhere around 28 with a different dr who also did a 3rd Generation test for thyroid, but I am thinking is a very old type of method to test your thyroid.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'd ask your PCP if he will run the FT3 and the antibody tests so you can have them available when you go see the endo. Not all endos are great, as many of us have found so don't be too disappointed if this one only looks at TSH too. Sometimes we have to search far and wide to find a good doc to treat us and many times it's not an endo we end up with.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
    DJinNU
    (female)

DJinNU HB User

Wow, I just looked further at my lab results from July 2008 and that doc did test my ferritin levels, they were 26 on a scale of 10-154. I am completely baffled about my health now. I have always been in good shape, steady weight throughout my whoile life and watch what I eat. I am not a vegetarian and eat my meats. Why is my iron and B12 so low then? Should I be supplementing with iron as well and how much?

Also, on my July 2008 lab report, there is one line that says TSH and it is blank. Then another line that says TSH,3rd Generation. Is this the regular TSH test? In 2008 my number was .58 on a scale of .40 - 4.5. so from last year to thus year it dropped slightly.

Last edited by DJinNU; 10-23-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added More

Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ferritin, B12 and D are very, very commonly low with hypothyroidism. Yes you need iron, do some research on this to find the right kind for you and take it according to directions, most take it with vitamin C for better absorption. Your levels need to be up around 70-90 and it can take quite some time to achieve this.

The TSH test you had before is the standard test. With your low TSH it's possible you have a secondary hypothyroidism from the pituitary which you can discuss with the endo. But if you have an autoimmune thyroiditis the TSH levels can vary widely so it's not a helpful test for many.

Closed Thread