It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• lymph nodes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
    nail lady
    (female)

nail lady HB User
    lymph nodes

a year after thyroid cancer papillary,i have now had three times these lymph nodes swell up yes they r painful in the neck and goes up jaw to eyeball anyone had this ? all my test show no reacurrance of thyroid cancer so i dont know why this is doing it never had it before either
    thank you sheri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: lymph nodes

Did your doctor say they are lymph nodes? Have you had an ultrasound?

They sound similar to the location---along the jaw line, where my partoid glands (salivary glands) swelled up, I needed to drink a lot and massage to help. Mine swelled up from the RAI-sometimes RAI damages the salivary glands--a year later, and it took a few months to get them down and back to normal again.

If they are lymph nodes and not partoid glands, what does your surgeon say? They are probably nothing to worry about, but maybe should be biopsied?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
    nail lady
    (female)

nail lady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Did your doctor say they are lymph nodes? Have you had an ultrasound?

They sound similar to the location---along the jaw line, where my partoid glands (salivary glands) swelled up, I needed to drink a lot and massage to help. Mine swelled up from the RAI-sometimes RAI damages the salivary glands--a year later, and it took a few months to get them down and back to normal again.

If they are lymph nodes and not partoid glands, what does your surgeon say? They are probably nothing to worry about, but maybe should be biopsied?
    no this is different, its been 3 times now since feb, and i had the whole body scan for tyroid done in may and nothing should i be concerned

Old 10-31-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
    nail lady
    (female)

nail lady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nail lady View Post
    no this is different, its been 3 times now since feb, and i had the whole body scan for tyroid done in may and nothing should i be concerned
    yes had the scan and nothing showed up this is the 3 time now its happened yes im a little scared, so i take it this was a no for u then

Old 11-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #5
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I'm sorry I don't understand. Where did the enlarged lymph nodes show up, on your RAI whole body scan (where you take the pill), or an ultrasound (where they rub that rod on your neck)?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
    cg01
    (female)

cg01 HB User

I had the same thing. Three years after my TT for huertle cell carcinoma, the doctor saw enlarged lymph nodes while doing an ultrasound so he did a biopsy just to make sure. It came back as negative. The doctor told me that enlarged lymph nodes could be caused by an infection in your system (ie cold, flu), dental problems, etc. It turned out that many years ago I had mono which he said could cause enlarged lymph nodes and I was having dental work done too. Also, he said that some people just have enlarged lymph nodes.

Is your doctor going to do a biopsy?

Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
    nail lady
    (female)

nail lady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    I'm sorry I don't understand. Where did the enlarged lymph nodes show up, on your RAI whole body scan (where you take the pill), or an ultrasound (where they rub that rod on your neck)?
    they should up on ultrasound and the body scan but dr said all was good then . but since i had it scan it has happened now 2 more times i think ill call her in case

Old 11-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
    golfhat
    Veteran
    (female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I had an enlarged lymph node after a 6 month bout with a sinus infection from hell.

When they US my swollen lymph node the tech saw the thyroid growth. so they took out 1/2 my T.

But everyone says "the two are not related." Even my radiologist brother who has NO thyroid due to cancer, said
    " the lymph glands and the thyroid are MILES from each other."

I remain skeptical when the cancerous thyroid is removed and the lymph nodes remain enlarged.

And mine hurts too sometimes. My gyno told me to suck on a lemon drop. If it is a salivary gland the sour taste will spur saliva and the sucking can help it reduce.

However, a friend did this and turned out she had cancer of the parotid.

Last edited by golfhat; 11-03-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
    Tholuma
    (male)

Tholuma HB User

After I had a TT and a neck dissection, I had a lot of lymph nodes removed (I think 12 were positive for pap ca). I end up with more swollen lymph nodes due to the removal I believe. It's usually related to a sore throat. The one time I had a sore throat at the same time as an ultrasound I ended up having to get another FNA on the swollen lymph node, it was negative.

I never had the issues before the surgery, but it seems like I'll just be more susceptible to infections in my neck/throat. Not sure if it will ever resolve it's self.

Jason

Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User

I'm SO glad I found this thread! I am having issues with enlarged lymph nodes and a higher thyroglobulin level (8.0) after having TT because of stage 3 pap cancer. The cancer was in all 3 of the lymph nodes they took out during surgery, and they gave me a double dose of RAI (200 mci) to kill off any remaining ones with cancer.The ultrasound done yesterday has all my Dr.'s really worried and they're trying to rush me into surgery to remove several of them from under my jaw. Should I request a biopsy first? Or should I trust that the enlarged lymph nodes PLUS high Tg level means that they are cancerous and I should just get them out? Thanks for any help.

Closed Thread