It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Synthroid and Hunger Pains

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User
    Synthroid and Hunger Pains

I was just wondering if anyone else was having weird hunger pains or carb cravings since starting Synthroid. I used to eat low carb, but now I can't help myself and crave carbs. I'm really trying to keep my carbs "good", but sometimes I just feel like a carb maniac, like insatiable. I feel confused that this means that my metabolism is "finally working" and that my cravings are normal or that the Synthroid is messing with my insulin level (which I've read about).

Something is definitely different here, and I'm worried. I was eating low carb, feeling good, and my cholesterol levels were perfect. I am now thinking that Synthroid will change all that. Has anyone else had this happen?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Synthroid and Hunger Pains

I had this for quite a while when I was adjusting my hormone levels, and a little beyond. I didn't crave anything in particular, I just had hunger pangs but eating didn't really help make them go away, they still returned.

Over time they went away.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User

Thank you for your response Reece,

I have also noticed that I still have the hunger pains after I eat. I don't have this feeling every day, but when I do, I feel like shaky and I need to eat ASAP!

Today marks my tenth week on Synthroid (75 mcg), and I am hopeful that, as you said, these feelings will subside. I'm going to try to eat more salads and drink LOTS of water.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
    golfhat
    Veteran
    (female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I think I might have had that for a week or two. I am in my 4th month on Synthroid so I am new too.

I am on a strict lean meat, fruit and vegetable diet and some diet jello and THAT is it.
    and boy do i have hunger pangs. I am drinking a lot of tea and water.

But I am finally breaking the barrier and losing weight.

If you started seriously dieting at the same time you started the synthroid maybe it was changing too much at once.

Eat anything you can that has a lot of bulk but is low in calories. Salads, veggies, cruciferous vegetables but not white potatoes, only red potatoes or yams.

So that you don't gain weight in this transition period. synthroid is changing the way your body works and yes, you could feel more hungry.

Last edited by golfhat; 11-03-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
    confusa
    (female)

confusa HB User

yes , i do too, from my journey over the pst 4 years i have learned that it is related to adrenals. advice, of course the book would be much helpful and i will give that name privately but my doctor suggest to eat small meals all day long like every 2-3 hours. even if you have to in the middle of the night. i snack on brown rice crackers and almond butter and she also said that beans and brown rice are great for that" hyoglycemic" feeling...i say feeling because if you are like me, your blood sugar will not regester low...but you do feel like if you don't eat asap you will freak out. anxiety for me is triggered by going to long with out eating. snack often and stay away from carbs...and sugar,caffeine, eat protein and also chew your food like 30 times before you swallow. um, another thing is to EXCERCISE , nothing taxing on your body but it helps metabolize food. i am going through the same thing, but sure do wish someone would have mentioned this too me sooner...i learned the hard way. also, i eat fruit but the book also mentions which ones are "better" ..hope this helps. i will post the name on your wall.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User

Golfhat and Confusa,

Thank you for all the great tips!!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
    coolbunny
    (female)

coolbunny HB User

I was diagnosed with Hashi's years ago, and my levels have been well stabilised a long time. But I had the constant hunger-type pains even after eating, and I fell into the trap of assuming the pain must either be due to thyroid disease, or adrenals. It turned out to be neither, (at least not directly) and is in fact due to inflammation in the small intestine, as tests have shown.

What has helped me reduce the pain levels is eating much smaller meals more often - up to 5 times a day, rather than 2 large meals a day. Also having been on a high fiber diet for over 30 yrs I have reduced the amount of fiber I eat, and that has helped too. Sometimes it seems more fiber is not the answer, and less is better!

Closed Thread