It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH 13.7 Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
    Myosin10
    (male)

Myosin10 HB User
    TSH 13.7 Help

Hey everyone here is my story. When i was 18 after I graduated HS, thankfully I developed Hodgkins disease which is cancer in the lymph nodes. During my 6 months of chemo and 1 month of radiation my thyroid was damged and does not properly function. The doc never tested my TSH until i complained of heavy fatigue, I probably had thyroid issues for 3 years until tested. Anyway my first TSH was 24.6. I started with T4 @ 50mcg. Anyway it has been a couple of years and my dose was adjusted to 112mcg and i have been feeling fine for 6 months but now I am fatigued just typing this post. The doc 2 weeks ago increased my T4 to 132mcg but it is not helping. I asked for a few blood tests such as cortisol, adrenaline, testosterone, cholesterol and TSH. The doctor denied me cortisol and adrenaline but i got cholesterol and Testosterone done, those 2 are fine. I also asked to changed meds to armour because i have heard great reviews about it, but my doc says that there is no way of telling how much T4 and T3 are in the natural armour. My TSH came back at 13.7 and like I said she increased mt T4 to 132mcg. She then said to come back in 12 weeks, *** that is 3 months of feeling tired! I am a RN student and it is causing me bad grades on tests because I can not keep my eyes open and I start nodding off or get double vision during a long 50 question test. I need help........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: TSH 13.7 Help

It takes about 4-6 weeks for you to feel a dose increase, so it's too early to see if that's the right dose for you.

It takes a long time to get it right, hopefully you will with this increase, if not, perhaps you can try another doctor.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It does take time to feel the full effects of a dose increase, but if you aren't any better in 3-4 more weeks, ask for a blood level check and another increase if your TSH isn't near 1 by then. An average TSH for a healthy person is around 1, so it's safe to increase until it gets there.

A better way to test levels is to run free T4 and free T3 tests. In your case, the free T3 test would be especially valuable in order to see if you convert T4 to T3 in an adequate amount. If you don't, that could account for feeling no better despite steady dose increases. T4 and T3 are the actual thyroid hormones; TSH is a pituitary hormone. If your doctor is testing only your TSH, she can't possibly know what the levoT is doing to remedy your hypothyroidism.

You may be fine in time with this dose increase, or even another few dosage tweaks. Just be aware that your MD's method of treatment isn't the only game in town, and you can take your ball and go elsewhere if she doesn't get you feeling chipper within the next 3 months or so. Never settle for feeling just so-so when you can end up your completely normal self with the right treatment.

And lastly... You doctor is a bonehead when it comes to Armour. Armour is made to the same USP standards as any other pharmaceutical drug. Each 60 mgs contains precisely 38 mcgs of T4 and 9 mcgs of T3. If you want to try it [If you can find a place to buy it - There are shortages now.], you should tell her these facts about the product, but don't necessarily expect you can change her uninformed mind.

Last edited by midwest1; 11-10-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
    Myosin10
    (male)

Myosin10 HB User

My doctor wont even give me T3 to go with the T4 and the only test she will order is TSH. Today i am emailing her again because I can not function, I am falling asleep driving hom at 12pm! Also falling asleep in class during lecture and while taking tests. I switched from my GP to an Endo but same results. Kaiser sucks. I am paying, well my mom is because i can not afford it, $475 a month for kaiser insurance and they are not cooperating. I am going to tell them if they dont do a few blood tests that i am requesting I will take my money elswhere and even pay more for good service.

This is what I am asking for in blood tests, the works!

TSH ,Free and total corisol, ACTH, AST, ALT, Estradiol, T3 REVERSE, Free T4 and Free T3

anything else should i ask? I have gained 15lbs and i am fatigued worse then ever! i had an increase in T4 only medication from 112mcg to 137mcg about a month ago and I am feeling worse than ever!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Your doc is living in the dark ages and you have to find another one if you have any hope of getting better. Not everyone converts T4 to T3 well and there's even a very recent study out that shows that there are many who are missing the enzyme to do the conversion due to a genetic factor. Natural desiccated thyroid like Nature-throid and Westhroid are available in many places now and there is a Canadian version called Erfa Thyroid which is very good and plentiful. I'd avoid the Armour as it's gone downhill since the stupid Forrest Labs reformulated it last spring.

The cortisol tests are not likely going to be helpful if you are looking for adrenal fatigue. A single serum cortisol level doesn't tell the whole story and saliva cortisol is more sensitive to the various levels during the 24 hour cycle.

It's also a good idea to check various vitamin and mineral levels as they tend to be low with us too: Vitamin D, B12, and ferritin. And there's no harm to see if you've developed an autoimmune componant to your hypothyroidism so get the TPO and TG antibody tests.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
    Myosin10
    (male)

Myosin10 HB User

Im good with my vitamins I workout 4 days a week and gaining weight is great because it is mostly muscle but when it comes time for me to cut it might be difficult. I also inject myself with B12 at least once a week, so im good there. I developed this thyroid dissorder due to radiation, like I said I am a cancer survivor in the form of Hodgkins which is a lymphoma. I am 100% cured now but my thyroid is 100% not!! I also dont know what else is messed up due to chemo and radiation to the upper chest/throat region. Thanks for the hint on the autoimmune tests!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
    Myosin10
    (male)

Myosin10 HB User

I am still in constant fatigue. Yesterday i had a bad headache and nausea, all i wanted to do was sleep! I slept from 3pm until 7pm and then I ate some food and went back to bed all night.

My Dr. upped my T4 med from 112mcg to 137mcg a month ago and I keep asking for more tests or different meds but the she keeps saying please wait 12 weeks!! I need help I can no longer function. i t is affecting my school and my life!

Can someone PM me a good place to get blood tests done please. Or at least some good advice. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Sorry, can't send private messages to newbies on the forum . There are some online lab services that will test your free T3, free T4 and the thyroid antibodies for you. I can't give names here unfortunately. See if you can look them up anyway. Sorry not to be of more help. Can you look for another doctor?

Closed Thread