It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Got My Cortisol Lab Results. Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
    nyc28
    (female)

nyc28 HB User
    Got My Cortisol Lab Results. Help!

I’m not on any medication. I am seeing a doc this coming Tuesday and plan to take these results with me.

So could this maybe be adrenal fatigue?? Any advice on how to get things back to a normal level?

Estradiol (saliva) 1.5 Ok
    Progesterone (saliva) 61 L
    Ratio: Pg/E2 (saliva) 41 L
    Testosterone 27 Ok
    DHEAS (saliva) 4.2 Ok
    Cortisol Morning (saliva) 8.8 Ok
    Cortisol Noon (saliva) 2.2 Ok
    Cortisol Evening (saliva) 2.7 H
    Cortisol Night (saliva) 0.8 Ok

If it helps, here are my thyroid results.

Thyroid test results (1 year ago)
    Hormone Test In Range Units Range
    Free T4 (blood spot) 1.5 ng/dL 0.7-2.5
    Free T3 (blood spot) 2.5 pg/ml 2.5-6.5
    TSH (blood spot) 1.7 uU/ml 0.5-3.0
    TPO (blood spot)* 93 IU/ml 0-150 (70-150 borderline)

My symptoms...

-shedding (mild)
    -very heavy periods
    -heart palpitations (had ekg/chest x-ray which was said to be normal)
    -rapid heartbeats after I wake up in the middle of the night
    -anxiety
    -brittle nails
    -nervousness
    -fatigue
    -trouble staying asleep, wake up at least every hour most nights

Last edited by nyc28; 11-12-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
    confusa
    (female)

confusa HB User
    Re: Got My Cortisol Lab Results. Help!

my doctor put me on natural progesterone...day 14 -28 from a compoud pharmacy. i had high cortisol levels in the am jsut a few weeks ago and have only been taking phosphotydl serene for 3 weeks. it worked because i had a saliva test done last week and my results showed am cortisol was depressed. so it came down too much..so i now only take 1 phosphotydly capsule before i go to bed with some glycine...do you have a mood swing few days b4 period and a few days after you start? i noticed that the progesterone helps with mood balancing but it won't work if i am on the wrong thyroid level of medication...it trumps it. but b4 i noticed it helped to even keel me to where it was not such a drastic change. i am going to take a blood draw tom. to check my hormones...again.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
    confusa
    (female)

confusa HB User

i just wrote something and somehow it did not post. so i will quickly say that for me a few weeks ago i had high am cortisol levels. so my doct, put me on phosphotitdly serene and about a week ago i took a saliva test and the results werre that in the am my cortisol levels came down significantly..so, i was told to instead of taking 2 pills b4 bed i take 1 and i take glycine to help me rest well. so we shall see in a few weekks if that does the trick...it worked to bring it down. also i takeprogesterone, compound pharmacy day 14 - 28 of my cycle. helps even me out,,,helps decrease the effect of the highs and lows. have learned recently that bign on the wrong thyroid level trumps everything...bc what was working beautifully before is not at the moment...make sense? hopefully this will post this time. do you notice sever hihg and lows bf your cycle? jsut wondering.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
    confusa
    (female)

confusa HB User

well it did post afterall, that was weird...sorry for the double thing. i think the first one makes ore sense.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
    nyc28
    (female)

nyc28 HB User

Thanks for the reply confusa.

I noticed changes in my mood but not necessarily before or after my period.
    It is very encouraging to know that your levels improved so quickly. That gives me hope. I just hate feeling the way I am feeling now.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

NYC, do you have the ranges for that cortisol test?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
    confusa
    (female)

confusa HB User

i feel horrible too, infact i am shocked my results came back the way they did...normal all other times...problem is i think my thyroid level is not"right "yet and so we shall see. doctor says in 2 weeks i should feel better, i sure hope so..i also posted my results on the thyroid board to see if anyone could relate....i just could do with out the dizzy slpells. they are the worst.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
    nyc28
    (female)

nyc28 HB User

Confusa - Yeah, same here. I was very surprised it's saying for the rest of the day mine was normal, didn't expect that at all.

Javelina - Sorry. Here are my ranges.

Estradiol (saliva) 1.5 Ok 1.3-3.3 premenopausal (Luteal)
    Progesterone (saliva) 61 L 75-270 premenopausal (Luteal)
    Ratio: Pg/E2 (saliva) 41 L Optimal: 100-500 when E2 1.3-3.3 pg/ml
    Testosterone 27 Ok 16-55 (Age Dependent)
    DHEAS (saliva) 4.2 Ok 2-23 (Age Dependent)
    Cortisol Morning (saliva) 8.8 Ok 3.7-9.5
    Cortisol Noon (saliva) 2.2 Ok 1.2-3.0
    Cortisol Evening (saliva) 2.7 H 0.6-1.9
    Cortisol Night (saliva) 0.8 Ok 0.4-1.0

Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looks like early AF with the saliva test. You can try some phosphatidylserene (PS) to see if you can get the levels better regulated. The high evening level can interfere with thyroid hormone conversion. Have you started on thyroid hormones yet?

I'm also reading a lot about how important it is to suppliment magnesium with high cortisol levels. Take powdered magnesium citrate to bowel tolerance (start with half the recommended dose, it's a powerful laxative if you take too much, you have to work up slowly). The more I read about the prevalence of magnesium deficiency and it's serious effects the more I am convinced we need to add it to the list of hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue suppliments.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
    skays
    (female)

skays HB User

nyc2, your levels are very close to mine, other than my morning level is much lower. These were my results:

Cortisol Morning (4.3) In Range 3.7-9.5
    Cortisol Afternoon (2.9) In Range 1.2-3.0
    Cortisol Evening (2.3) High Range 0.6-1.9
    Cortisol Night (0.8) In Range 0.4-1.0

I'm sure it's why it is such a struggle to get out of bed in the morning- no matter how much sleep I've gotten, I feel like a truck hit me. Do you feel your best at night? I sure do! As the day goes on I feel better and feel my best when most people are going to bed. It's very frustrating!

I also have a doctor's appt. (D.O. Endo) on Tuesday. We'll have to compare how they go. I have many of the same symptoms you're complaining of. Are you taking thyroid meds? I'm on 112 mcgs of Synthroid.

javelina, you are a walking encyclopedia! I appreciate your knowledge and your willingness to share it. I do take magnesium, but think I need to up the amount. I take magnesium gylcinate- it is suppose to be the most highly absorbable form and is easier on the bowel.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I take magnesium gylcinate- it is suppose to be the most highly absorbable form and is easier on the bowel.
    Thanks for that tip!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
    nyc28
    (female)

nyc28 HB User

Javelina, thanks so much. I will look into phosphatidylserene. Funny enough, I started drinking Natural Calm (it's a powdered version of magnesium that dissolves in water) over a month ago and for some reason I stopped it. I started back on it a few days ago and I find it helps me feel more relaxed and I can sleep better at night, so I will continue taking it. I never should have stopped to begin with but I didn't know for sure at the time that it was the reason I felt so much better. Last night I actually slept several hours without waking up and for me that never happens!

Skays - I am not on any meds at the moment. I changed my diet and felt a lot better than I did at the time my thyroid tests were taken a year ago. I need to be retested though, and hopefully I'll find my numbers have improved. Yes, nights are when I feel the best. I find it a struggle to get out of bed in the mornings. I'm hoping some of this advice you all have given will help me feel better. Good luck to you.

Last edited by nyc28; 11-13-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Closed Thread