HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Help--elevated thyroid peroxidase ab (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/723174-help-elevated-thyroid-peroxidase-ab.html)

mimijiminy 11-18-2009 08:58 AM

Help--elevated thyroid peroxidase ab

Hi everyone,

I am new here so thanks in advance for all your help. Just got my blood test results back and I asked my doc to specifically check thyroid markers as I have a very strong family history of Hashimoto's--everyone on my mom's side has it.

What prompted me to be so vigilant was the fact that I missed a period [never happened before] and I am 100% NOT pregnant. I'm concerned that my elevated Thyroid Peroxidase AB levels may indicate developing Hashimoto's, and that it's starting to affect my fertility or that somehow these two are situations are related. All other thyroid markers are within range.

My doctor says everything is normal, but I am not satisfied.

About me: 34, no children, no medical problems, no symptoms other than missed period. No fatigue, no irritability, no weight gain, no nothing...

Test results are the following, and I'd love to hear what you all think:

1) Thyroid Peroxidase AB: 539 [normal is 35 IU/ml]
2) TSH 3RD GENERATION: 1.59 [range .40 - 4.50]
3) T4 TOTAL: 7.0 [range: 4.5 - 12.5]
4) T4 FREE: 2.0 [range: 1.4 - 3.8]
5) T3 UPTAKE: 29 [range: 22 - 35]
6) T3 TOTAL: 83 [range 76 - 181]

javelina 11-18-2009 10:57 AM

Re: Help--elevated thyroid peroxidase ab

It's good that you don't have symptoms (other than the missed period) with that high TPO level. If you could get a free T3 done it would be more helpful than the old T3 total and T3 uptake tests though.

Your Free T4 is pretty low, just 25% of its range, which for most of us would cause significant hypo symptoms. Generally you want your FT4 to be up at midrange or above and if you get your FT3 done, it usually needs to be up in the top third of range.

I don't know if you want to try going on some thyroid hormones or not. If it were me I'd give it a try to see if it resolves the reproductive issues and I think it's just healthier to have the right amount of hormones in your system. I can only think that the Hashi's will advance as time goes on and it would be good to try to get it under control earlier rather than later.

midwest1 11-18-2009 11:06 AM

Re: Help--elevated thyroid peroxidase ab

[QUOTE=javelina;4126490]... I think it's just healthier to have the right amount of hormones in your system. I can only think that the Hashi's will advance as time goes on and it would be good to try to get it under control earlier rather than later.[/QUOTE] I agree. I also agree that your FT4 is low enough to be causing symptoms, so it could well be affecting your ovulation/periods. If you plan to have children, that low FT4 could be a factor in having a successful pregnancy, too. The TPO antibodies are a known factor in miscarriage and premature births. If you bolster your thyroid function before becoming pregnant, it can tame the antibodies.

Your total T3 is very low, too... Low enough to indicate that your free T3 is too low for your needs.

Your family history seems to be perpetuating itself. If I were you, I'd seek treatment now, most especially if pregnancy is in your plans.