It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Tired, Anxious, and Heart rate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
    chaseryder
    (male)

chaseryder HB User
    Tired, Anxious, and Heart rate

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking your time to read this, any advice or comments would be appreciated.

I am 24 years old, and I am dealing with thyroid/adrenal issues. To make a long story short, after a number of courses of a powerful acne medication and years of stress, I started to experience many symptoms ranging from fatigue, anxiety, to immune system issues.

Currently my major symptoms that plague me are anxiety, fatigue, mental fogginess. I have been dealing with these noticeable symptoms for about the last year. I have taken the natural therapy route, and have had extensive testing done and seemed to have found some answers.

I have taken a mineral hair analysis, neurotransmitter test, T4-TSH (all that jazz), Adrenal stress index...

The hair mineral analysis claimed I had an overactive adrenal/thyroid issue--leaning towards diabetes--I was a fast oxidizer as well--my ca/mg ratio was off balance.

My neurotransmitter unveiled that I had vey low seretonin and dopamine levels. And the adrenal stress indicated that I had sluggish ahdrenals.

I have been treating myself with high quality supplements including: Thymadren--adrenal bovine, Ca/MG 1/1 ratio--and now recently added lithium.

For my neuro, I have been taking a supplement called Travacor, which treats seretonin levels.

I initially found some relief, but its been an up and down battle these months.

Symptoms: in explanation
    I feel very overstimulated. If I walk up stairs, my heart rate sky rockets. It feels as if my heart is pounding out my chest. It is usually always elevated. Much faster than usual.

My anxiety has always been an issue for the past 5-6 years of my life. I get started very easily, and get anxious for no reason what so over. I am very aware of my self mentally, I KNOW that my anxiety is deeper than just a chemical imbalance.

Fatigue has been an issue these past 6-8 months. I used to be avid weight lifter, with a lot of energy. Over time I used caffeine as a subsitute to fuel my difficult work outs and long hours. Now caffeine does nothing for me. I feel very overstimulated yet tired. All the time. I am yawning all day.

Mentally I can't focus on much. My cognitive ability is very low. I struggle to do many things, even simple things.

When getting up from sitting down, I get very lightheaded/dizzy which lasts for a few seconds.

There are many symptoms I still deal with, including fungus issues, to numbness.

I was hoping that patience and time would be the key to my recovery but it isn't happening it seems.

I have had days-sometimes a week where I feel euphoric. Feeling as if a door is opening. It has had a number of times, due to additions of an SSRI (in the past), to diet changes...whatever it was. There would be a week where I would experience no anxiety, have a lot of energy, be on point. But it would soon die away.

Its hard to find answers in this world. Most doctors don't listen or don't understand.

I know this a long shot, but if there is anyone who understands what I am going through and could possibly provide me with some if any insight on this, I would be forever thankful for the help.

Thank you.

Chase

Last edited by chaseryder; 11-26-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: Tired, Anxious, and Heart rate

Interesting story. Do you have any labs that we can look at here, more specifically your thyroid related ones? What is most helpful is a free T3, free T4 and TSH at this point. Also have you ever done a saliva cortisol test for your adrenal function? This is the most sensitive way to test for adrenal fatigue.

If you were considered overactive with thyroid function, why were you taking bovine thyroid suppliment? That would only serve to make you more hyper... and can account for your heart pounding and other symptoms. And why the lithium? This is a very serious medication and often can cause damage to your thyroid. Do you also suffer from bipolar disorder?

I strongly suggest you have a doc or other practitioner order some good current thyroid labs for you and you can order yourself a saliva cortisol test online. Good labs are essential to correctly diagnose and monitor your treatment. Otherwise you are taking some very big risks with this route you are currently on.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
    chaseryder
    (male)

chaseryder HB User

Geez...I never knew that lithium was something to worry about.

To be honest I don't know much about this. I have been recieving my advice from an online friend I met on another board. He was the only one who was compassionate enough to try to help me. He supposedly went through a very similar experience, and has already given me a lot of help along the way.

Today I actually determined that the lithium was doing more harm than good. I decided to not take it, and my heart rate has slowed down immensly, and I feel a lot better.

I have taken a saliva test, which was a cortisol test. The test revealed that my adrenals were a bit sluggish from the 4 points at which it tested. My "naturopath" assured me that it wasn't out of the ordinary. The results indicated that a supplementation of b-vitamins, and a bovine supplement would be sufficient.
    r
    I later took a hair mineral analysis as I mentioned before, which was decoded by another doctor that was referred to me. He said that my adrenal and thyroid activity was overactive due to ca/mg imbalance.

I began taking the lithium after my friend encouraged me to do so since I was still very stimulated. I have been trying to treat my neurotransmitter imbalance. There was a product called balance-d which encourages dopamine production which "seemed" to overstimulate me. He told me to try this because it would slow down thyroid and adrenal activity. From what I was told, it wasn't really much to worry about. Now, I finally realize that it wasn't a good move.

My heart rate has slowed down greatly. Yet I have experienced the heart rate issue for some time. My anxiety has been up and down for as long as I can remember. My fatigue issues seem to come and go. I try to avoid caffeine, eat well, and now keeping my exercise more controlled. I feel as if i am doing the right things, but I know i tend to slip up from time to time and make poor decisions. I think thats what life is all about.

I just hope to one day be myself. The person I am supposed to be. I know the anxiety I experience is not me. It never was. I jsut want to be free and happy. I've wasted so many years...I can't bear to miss another day.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm glad you got off the lithium because it's never used for thyroid treatment by any legitimate medical practitioners, it's a drug for serious bi-polar disorder and it can have a very bad effect on your thyroid. I'm really surprised anyone recommended it.

What you need is a proper thyroid workup. You obviously have symptoms and need to get to the bottom of why you feel so badly and the endocrine system is always a good place to look when all other things seem to have been ruled out. It can be very hard to get diagnosed because often doctors don't know what tests to order and don't know how to interpret tests correctly so this board can be helpful to you while seeking a diagnosis and we can share our experiences with various treatments and recommendations for good docs in your area. You very much need a good doctor to help with ordering tests and guidence through treatment. I've never heard of diagnosing overactive thyroid based on ca/mg imbalances, the free T3, free T4 and TSH can do that with far more accuracy.

If your adrenal function is low based on your saliva cortisol tests you may need to go on hydrocortisone for a period of time to give the adrenals a rest and allow your thyroid's hormones to work effectively. I think men tend to have more issues with adrenals than thyroid for the most part but you need to make sure both are working properly and are supported if needed.

Feel free to post your thyroid labs (with the ranges) as well as your saliva cortisol tests here if you'd like some feedback on them.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
    chaseryder
    (male)

chaseryder HB User

First, thank you for your time and consideration, it means the world to me that there are people out there like you that are willing to give their time to help others. It is a great thing.

Well, I was taking a total of 450mg of lithium a day spread out. I guess I was taking it for a total of 3-4 weeks. I sure hope I didn't cause any damage...

As for my lab results:
    T4 - 7.3 ug/dl
    T3U - 35.4%
    TSH - .59 uIU/ml
    Testosterone free- 1.05 ng/dl
    CORTA - 8.2 ug/dl

I took a ASI, Adrenal stress index, and here are my results:
    6:00-8:00 - 11 - Depressed - 13-24 nM
    11:00-Noon - 4 - Depressed - 5-10 nM
    4:00 - 5:00 - 1* - Depressed - 3-8 nM
    10:00 - Midnight - <1 - Depressed - 1-4 nM

DHEA 7 - Normal 3-10 ngml
    Insulin - Fasting 7 normal - 3-12 ul/ml
    Post-prandial <3 Depressed - 5-20 uIU/ml

Total Salivary SIgA - 9 - Depressed - 25-60 mg dl
    Gliadin Ab, SIgA (saliva) - 11 Negative - Borderline - 13-15 u/ML

There recommendations on the ASI was to supplement with
    b5, zinc, biotin, C, copper, and possible cortisol augmentation...I began taking the suggested vitamins but then stopped after being advised that it wasn't so important.

As of right now, I am just taking a potent multi, ca-mg supplement, Travacor (5-htp & amino acid supplement to boost seretonin), and a product called Three-lac for a thought to be Candida infection.

I have been off an on with this other product called Balance-d, which obtains tyrosine, mucana biens? and such--in order to boost dopamine levels. I have been uneasy about it, since I believe it has caused me overstimulation in the past. I am still awaiting my recent neurotransmitter results for that (i know that is a totally different subject, but thought id share it)...

Again, thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate it.

Chase

Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Unfortunately those thyriod labs aren't the most helpful ones, T3 uptake and T4 are pretty outmoded now-- (that T4 isn't free is it? And what are its ranges?) What you need is a free T3 and free T4. Your TSH is a little low but TSH is really not a good test for many of us too. You should also be tested for the thyroid antibodies, TPO and TG and I would also ask for a reverse T3 test. Do you have a doc who can order these for you? You can also order your own labs online if you need too, if you don't mind paying out of pocket. You should also test your vitamin D and B12 levels as these tend to be low and men sometimes have low ferritin too.

Your cortisol test, however is very clear that you have significant adrenal fatigue. Just supplimenting with vitamins and minerals won't do much for this, you really need to go on hydrocortisone at a physiologic dose (around 30-35 mg for most men).

Since so much hinges on your basic endocrine system functioning well, I'm not sure this whole neurotransmitter testing thing is of much use. We find that once we get our thyroid and adrenals working right so many other things fall into place. T3, the active thyroid hormone, is a very important factor for much of our cognitive function and without it we have many, many serious problems; depression, brainfog, and even some psychiatric issues (not to mention all the other serious health effects). Without adequate amounts of cortisol we cannot transfer T3 into the cells where it needs to be. Low thyroid output can stress the adrenals so they cannot keep functioning at optimal levels. So everything ties together.

Do you have a doctor who can help you with this, especially your adrenal and thyroid issues? You need to be prescribed the HC and get the right tests for thyroid function. Not all docs are on board with adrenal fatigue treatment so you may need to do some searching to find one.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
    chaseryder
    (male)

chaseryder HB User

I am pretty upset at myself for not getting on hydrocortisone...the first "doc" didn't really recommend me getting on it. She even said that my adrenals were sluggish but nothing too bad. After that, I followed the recommendations of a fellow sufferer that contacted me through a message board.

I will be sure to get an appt with an endo, possibly another one. Last one I went to, I tried explaining my story and giving him the results I had, but the hair mineral analysis test made him laugh i guess and he didn't take me seriously.

I am pretty sure those test results obtains T3 and T4 free...

It claims test 1 to be a FTI profile?
    T4 7.3 ug/dl --- 5-12 is range
    T3U 35.4% --- 27.9-39.5 range
    FTI 2.5 --- 1.1-4.1 range

As for b12 and D levels, I will be sure to get those checked out.

What gets me though is, this hair mineral analysis lab claims that I have a slow metabolism, which is a para-sympathetic dominant with elevated adrenal and thyroid activity. So if I understand this, the ASI states that I have adrenal fatigue, yet this claims that I have an overactive thyroid/adrenal issue?

I have days where I feel alright, with moderate energy, then there are days when I am flat out exhausted. I get atleast 7.5 hrs of sleep, yet when I wake up I feel done. I am yawning, my anxiety is heightened due to my fatigue, I can't focus.

I have also had these strange cases (id say about 3 times) where I have almost an manic episodes after altering or supplementing with something else. Once it lasted a week, after going on an anti-depressant. After a few weeks, the anti-depressant stopped working. Once I came off a strict Candidia diet, and then felt unbelievable great, super focused for almost a week. Manic, some would say. No doctor has yet to explain the cause of that. I am not sure if there is an answer, but I thought I'd post it.

And one more question, what are the recommendations of exercise. Its tough since I used to be big into weight training, but it seems that it may be an overstimulating factor. Any recommendations?

Thank you again...

Chase

Old 11-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Beware most endos, they are often very rigid and practicing clinical guidelines that were written in the 70s by the makers of Synthroid... If at all possible try to find out beforehand if they treat adrenal fatigue, as most don't even recognize it as a legitimate disorder (including publications by the Mayo online). So to save yourself a whole lot of time and grief, see if you can get any info out of their office before waiting forever for an appt that ends in disappointment. There are other practitioners who do treat AF though, and you can post here for a recommendation in your area (or do a search of post for others who have done the same).

The FTI is yet another test that "calculates" based on both free and bound T4 and isn't very accurate. Over 99% of our T4 is bound with proteins and only about 1% of it is unbound or "free". It's the free T4 that can affect metabolism and is important to test. It's a far more sensitive test. And free T3 is equally if not more important.

I recommend you only take vitamin and mineral suppliments and keep off any self-treating OTC or other substances that can alter your thyroid hormones until you get properly tested and started on treatment with proper monitoring with a healthcare provider. If you are having wierd reactions it's a pretty good sign you need to stay off the stuff. As for exercise, you will have to do what your body allows for the time being, don't overdo it or force yourself to do things as this will only make things worse. Stress is a major no-no with adrenal fatigue and 7.5 hours of sleep is too little as well. You should also get your potassium and sodium levels tested with a basic metabolic panel and a CBC.

I hope you can find someone soon who can help you and get you on a recovery path. Hanginthere, you'll get this figured out.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
    confusa
    (female)

confusa HB User

chase, i get your post. i too am very aware of my surroundings and it is a very strange feeling...i feel a lot of how you feel. i know my thryoid and adrenals are not where they should be...that is my problem i know! glad you have stopped the lithium. javelina has given you good advice.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
    chaseryder
    (male)

chaseryder HB User

Thank you so much Javelina, your words are very comforting and I too know that I will eventually nip this in the bud. I just need to get the right help, and take it one step at a time.

The last and only endo I have seen was totally against the idea of AF. After reading your post it made me remember his reaction towards my self diagnoses of AF. He claimed that adrenal glands are almost impossible to fatigue, and that I was totally fine. He seems to be too stuck in his ways, plus he is probably the wackiest doc I have ever met before. So I think its time for me to keep searching.

Thankfully but unfortunately, I think my best bet is with the head doc at this alternative medical center in Boston. His office seems to be the only place in my area that is covered by insurance and treats this.

I am also dealing with an internal yeast infection which I might add. I've read that AF and Candidias sometimes go hand in hand. It is rather tricky to treat.

My heart rate has seems to slowed back down to about 70 bpm, where as yesterday it was about 100 bpm constantly. I have learned that as much as I want to treat some of my neurological imbalances, it seems that I am too stimulated to handle some supplements. This supplement btw does obtain tyrosine, mucana beans, and acetylcesitine sp?...all which can be stimulating.

Currently, I have had my head in "Feeling fat, fuzzy and frazzled." I expect that you are aware of this book. It seems to have a lot of notable info that I am absorbing.

I will be sure to follow your recommendations. You seem to really know your stuff. I take it that you have been down this road before, and have reached recovery? I hope to one day be there too...

Thank you again. It means a lot.

Closed Thread