It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• i am supposed to get an uptake test, can anyone tell me what this means?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
    erikab2231
    (female)

erikab2231 HB User
    i am supposed to get an uptake test, can anyone tell me what this means?

first my backstory...i went to see an endo back in aug. b/c my tsh was 3.49 and i had been having hypo symptoms for many years. he put me on 100mcg of levothyroxine and said i had hashimoto's b/c my TGab was over 500. since then my tsh went down to 0.03 so he told me to take half a levo pill twice a week (and continue to take 100mcg the other five days). i had some hyper symptoms (fast heart rate, anxiety) for a couple of weeks but that seems to have abated. i told him about that at our last appt. but he didn't seem to think a further reduction in meds was warranted and he told me to come back in 6 months. his office just called me and said i should come in for an uptake test because my tsh was down to 0.01. so can anyone tell me-what are they looking for? why don't they just reduce the dose if my tsh is too low?

thanks so much for reading this much....

erika

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: i am supposed to get an uptake test, can anyone tell me what this means?

The T3 uptake test is, IMHO, useless for thyroid diagnosis and treatment monitoring. This is how one lab describes this test:

Quote:
    T3 Resin Uptake or Thyroid Uptake.
    This is a test that confuses doctors, nurses, and patients. First, this is not a thyroid test, but a test on the proteins that carry thyroid around in your blood stream. Not only that, a high test number may indicate a low level of the protein! The method of reporting varies from lab to lab. The proper use of the test is to compute the free thyroxine index. We no longer perform this test in our labs.
    It's much more useful to monitor your free T3 and free T4 levels as these tests actually tell you how much of these unbound hormones are circulating and available in your system.

It's far better to go by your symptoms rather than TSH because often TSH can be very suppressed with good thyroid hormone replacement. If you're feeling ok then leave it at the dose you're currently at.

Last edited by javelina; 11-30-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Closed Thread