It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Newly diagnosed, Low tsh, normal T3, T4, very confused about diagnosis and treatment

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
teddybear111
(female)

teddybear111 HB User
Newly diagnosed, Low tsh, normal T3, T4, very confused about diagnosis and treatment

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. It's been a whirlwind of a few months since being newly diagnosed with a toxic nodule/hyper/subclinical hyper whatever it is. How it all began. I was ttc after over a year, w/o luck (I'm 30 y/o). I went to see my pcp and found I had tsh levels of 0.19 but T4 was normal @1.26. Was referred to an endo, who ran more labs, this time tsh was .20 and T4 was 1.23, T3 was 2.9, TSH and anti TPO were negative. Also had a uptake done, in which the 6 hour uptake was 24% (normal 6-18%), and the 24 hour is 33.2% (normal 5-35%), and 'hot' nodules were found. No physical side affects except hair loss and a bit hyperactiveness. Ultrasound shows a complex right lower mass, showing 2.7x2.0x1.8 cm with increased vascularity in the solid componet and a nearly 50% cystic componet. So, endo #1 diagnosed me with a hyperfunctioning right lobe, along with possibly early hyperthyroidism, and the diagnoisis was a toxic uninodular goiter w/a 2.5 cm nodule. He suggested surgery and put me on methamizole as an antithyroid treatment until the right thyroid was removed. I decided to seek another endo's opinion because I DID NOT want surgery or the scar.

Endo #2: diagnosed me with subclinical hyperthyroidism, secondary to a right sided functional adenoma with contralateral suppression on the left side, clinically euthyroid, palpable thyroid nodule, said stop the methamizole, that at such a low dose of this, and the very slightly low tsh, it won't do anything to make the side affects of the drug worthwhile. He said surgery and radioiodine is absolutely unnecessary at this point, since I am of childbearing age and am looking to get preg asap. He wanted to do the wait and watch approach, said to go have the babies, and I can do radioiodine when I'm done with it and in the meantime he would just watch my T3, T4, and Tsh in the meantime.

Now, I have a different diagnosis and different treatment plans. I'm confused, upset, depressed that I have been diagnosed with this, and don't know what to do. Do I have surgery and get it over with and risk hypo, wait for radioiodine later down the line, seek another endo for opinion #3, do I see an ENT, should I get a FNA, should I push forward to try to conceive, will I have a difficult pregnancy as a result, will I feel comfortable with a wait and see approach, will my large 2.5 cm mass grow larger quickly or slowly over time. I just can't seem to get the right answer nor can I figure out how to find a physician I can trust is leading me towards the best decision for myself. Lost and confused. How does one make a decision? How do I find an endo that is clinically strong with thyroid dysfunctions rather than mostly diabetes?

Last edited by teddybear111; 12-17-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
okumo
(male)

okumo HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed, Low tsh, normal T3, T4, very confused about diagnosis and treatm

please what is the main medision you used. please i do not understand your terms

Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
okumo
(male)

okumo HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed, Low tsh, normal T3, T4, very confused about diagnosis and treatm

please am waiting the ansswer

Closed Thread