It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

elevated TSH- is it due to cold weather

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
bittygirl
(female)

bittygirl HB User
elevated TSH- is it due to cold weather

I switched meds 3 months ago from armour to compounded thyroid at the compounding pharmacy. 3 months ago on aromour my tsh was 1.95. I just got checked with 3 month of compounded meds and its 4.91. this is way up. has anyone had experiance from compounded meds? intrestinley enough, I dont feel bad. Just a little bit tired here and there but usually I know when my TSH rises because I get massive hair loss and excessive fatigue. This compounded meds did not make me feel that way even though the tsh is 4.91. My endo is going to increase my dose of course.
Could the spike in tsh be due to cold weather or stress? both of which I have recently. I find it strange that with more meds my tsh would be higher.
thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: elevated TSH- is it due to cold weather

When living in cold weather conditions you might need a higher dose of meds. When it gets warmer in the spring the dose may be reduced.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Another thought... Are you absolutely positive the compounded medicine has been mixed accurately? Theoretically, if the compounding pharmacist is not very skillful or maybe inattentive, you could end up with a sub-potent product.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
bittygirl
(female)

bittygirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Another thought... Are you absolutely positive the compounded medicine has been mixed accurately? Theoretically, if the compounding pharmacist is not very skillful or maybe inattentive, you could end up with a sub-potent product.
thanks,
yes I thought about this. I need to call the pharmacy next week to ask them about this. I was also wondering since the powder is the same powder that they use to make Armour, if maybe its the reformulation. I have heard of lots of peoples TSH going up and down and out of wack on the reformulated armour. This was another thought I had. I dont want to wait 3 months get re tested on my new dose to find out that my TSH is still going up. I need to really find out what the cause is.

Another thought i had about cold weather, is that I have been keeping out thermastat in the house at 63-65 degrees to try and save money even though im freezing. This may not be such a good idea after all. My health is more important that the money saved.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Yes, if you're hypo, which that TSH is indicating, then you aren't doing yourself any favors by keeping the house cold. This just stresses you further and stress is not a good thing. You should also consider getting your free T3 and free T4 levels done to see what they are, as they are far more accurate read of actual thyroid hormone levels than the TSH.

Many have gone hypo on the nu Armour and compounding can be tricky because there is little or no regulation of compounding pharmacists. I recommend you look into getting your meds from Canada's Erfa Thyroid. It's a very good product with no cellulose fillers (which both compounders and Armour use for the most part, and is suspected for causing the failure of these meds). You can order it online with your doc's script.

Closed Thread